DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   question on 24p downconv. to SD intercut with Varicam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/85088-question-24p-downconv-sd-intercut-varicam.html)

Scott Auerbach January 29th, 2007 09:54 AM

question on 24p downconv. to SD intercut with Varicam

I've got an upcoming shoot where I'll be sourcing with both the HVX and a Varicam in 720/24p, but the edit will be in SD, so the Varicam footage will have downconverts done to standard 480/60i DVCAM tapes.

We'll be using a variety of frame rates on both cameras.

As far as I know, I can't mix the HVX 720/24p footage on the same timeline (I'll be cutting on Avid) with the SD downconverts. I've never tried, but I can't imagine it'd work.

I'm assuming my best way to go would be to load the MXF footage into Avid and use its on-the-fly downconvert to output the MXF shots to SD DVCAM?

Any comments? Any potential problems, or particular frame rates that don't look good after the conversion to 60i?

I'll be running a few tests, but it's always good hearing others' opinions...

Robert Lane January 29th, 2007 10:59 PM

The biggest problem I see is mixing "i" with "p" footage; why isn't the downconvert being done in "p"? That makes no sense to me. If that's what you're stuck with, so be it - you'll just to render one or the other. If the timeline is "p" then the "i" footage will have to be rendered on import and vice-a-versa. A bit of a headache in post, but it could be done. ouch.

Scott Auerbach January 30th, 2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
The biggest problem I see is mixing "i" with "p" footage; why isn't the downconvert being done in "p"? That makes no sense to me. If that's what you're stuck with, so be it - you'll just to render one or the other. If the timeline is "p" then the "i" footage will have to be rendered on import and vice-a-versa. A bit of a headache in post, but it could be done. ouch.

I may be showing my ignorance, Robert. I assumed that when the Varicam footage went down to SD DVCAM, it would inherently be at 480/29.97 interlaced. No?

I also found that the version of Adrenaline I'm using doesn't have 720/24p support (the current version does). So I can't do a downconvert just by loading the HD mxf footage into Avid and spitting it out to SD tape.

Boy, this is getting messy...

The corporate edit suite where I'll be posting the piece doesn't have the Avid HD boardset or a DVCPRO HD deck, so I can't load the Varicam footage in without doing a downconvert first. And the mxf will need to be transcoded ~somehow~ to blend on the SD timeline with the downconverted footage. I may have to process all the mxf through FCP, then import it into Avid as Quicktimes. THAT'S gonna be a royal hassle.

Robert Lane January 30th, 2007 05:03 PM

I'm not as familiar with Sony decks as the Panny but I thought there was a DVCAM "p" format available from one of the studio decks.

At any rate it seems you're in for a conversion nightmare no matter what; the best thing to do is somehow get both footage converted to either the I or P standard; merging formats will be less of hassle then.

Mike Schrengohst January 30th, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Auerbach
I may be showing my ignorance, Robert. I assumed that when the Varicam footage went down to SD DVCAM, it would inherently be at 480/29.97 interlaced. No?

I also found that the version of Adrenaline I'm using doesn't have 720/24p support (the current version does). So I can't do a downconvert just by loading the HD mxf footage into Avid and spitting it out to SD tape.

Boy, this is getting messy...

The corporate edit suite where I'll be posting the piece doesn't have the Avid HD boardset or a DVCPRO HD deck, so I can't load the Varicam footage in without doing a downconvert first. And the mxf will need to be transcoded ~somehow~ to blend on the SD timeline with the downconverted footage. I may have to process all the mxf through FCP, then import it into Avid as Quicktimes. THAT'S gonna be a royal hassle.

Just shoot 30p and avoid all the hassle......

Scott Auerbach January 30th, 2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst
Just shoot 30p and avoid all the hassle......

Oh, believe me... the thought crossed my mind. Avid Adrenaline doesn't support 30p mxf import. ... plus I'd still have to downconvert to SD tape, since the client doesn't have the HD boardset for their Avid. We're sourcing in HD, but editing in SD. I was just hoping to avoid having to go out-of-house to do the downconverts from the HVX. But it looks like I'm going to have to.

It would all be MUCH easier if they had the HD boardset and a DVCProHD deck.