DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   shoot HD and burn it to blu-ray discs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/86675-shoot-hd-burn-blu-ray-discs.html)

Cale Rogers March 12th, 2007 01:20 PM

Hello,

You're probably already thinking about this, but you may want to evaluate the style of your content when thinking about ways to separate yourself from the rest of the "automotive press." The style (the pace of the cuts, graphics look, and presentation of information relative to your audience) that you use is an important distinction from your competitors. Watch your competition and then think about the questions you're left with or "what if" scenarios you'd like to see played out.

Information is also a big deal in addition to the style of the packaging. There's always information left on the cutting room floor that could be meeting the needs of a niche audience. Specific information targeted to a niche audience is what the internet and cable TV venues are built on. Evaluate your target audience and see if your competition is leaving out information that could be meeting their needs. HD content has a higher perceptual value over SD, so you're smart to want to acquire content in HD. Just don't overlook the greater content values of style and information thinking that the HD will do the talking.

Good Luck,
Cale

Aaron Steele March 12th, 2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cale Rogers (Post 640395)
Hello,

You're probably already thinking about this, but you may want to evaluate the style of your content when thinking about ways to separate yourself from the rest of the "automotive press." The style (the pace of the cuts, graphics look, and presentation of information relative to your audience) that you use is an important distinction from your competitors. Watch your competition and then think about the questions you're left with or "what if" scenarios you'd like to see played out.

Information is also a big deal in addition to the style of the packaging. There's always information left on the cutting room floor that could be meeting the needs of a niche audience. Specific information targeted to a niche audience is what the internet and cable TV venues are built on. Evaluate your target audience and see if your competition is leaving out information that could be meeting their needs. HD content has a higher perceptual value over SD, so you're smart to want to acquire content in HD. Just don't overlook the greater content values of style and information thinking that the HD will do the talking.

Good Luck,
Cale

good points. thank you.

I would never rely on HD to define me. if you fill a disc with crap, it just becomes higher resolution crap in HD. And I am looking at the media outlets that exist now, analyzing what they do well, but seeing also where they fall short. It's those steps that they arn't taking that we will.

-Aaron

ps: almost couldn't find this thread w/ the new title...

Herman Van Deventer March 12th, 2007 07:33 PM

yebo !

Talent trumps technology every time !

Greetings, Herman.

Kevin Shaw March 12th, 2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Hurley (Post 633855)
I think suggesting the purchase of HD to a relative beginner is irresponsible advice...There is no reason for a noob to be on the bleeeding edge. It's simply a waste of money.

On the other hand, HD is spreading quickly and buying an SD-only camera makes little sense these days unless you have a specific reason to do so. If the HVX-200 seems too expensive there are decent HDV cameras starting as low as $1500-3000, and all you need to shoot HD with those is standard miniDV tape. Blu-ray burners are selling for $599-699 if you shop around and will undoubtedly continue to drop in price. Basic Blu-ray authoring software starts at $79 and blank discs are under $15 each. Editing HD footage isn't all that big a deal on today's computers, so there's really no reason *not* to invest in HD unless your camera budget is negligible. It's good advice not to get too carried away worrying about HD at this point, but don't overlook it either.

Aaron Steele March 13th, 2007 06:53 AM

really, HD is another tool for me. I would never base what I'm doing only on HD, but it is something additional I can offer to my clients that others in my industry are not...