DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Century Precision Optics 1.6X Telephoto Converter Lens For Panasonic HVX200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/87303-century-precision-optics-1-6x-telephoto-converter-lens-panasonic-hvx200.html)

Dean Harrington February 22nd, 2007 09:04 PM

Century Precision Optics 1.6X Telephoto Converter Lens For Panasonic HVX200

anyone using this for the HVX? Does it zoom through? What's your take on it?
I'm between Brevis or this at the moment. Need some extra focal length!

Boyd Ostroff February 22nd, 2007 09:32 PM

I have the Century 1.6x for the Z1, and no doubt it's the same lens with a different mount. I've been very happy with it, although it's HUGE and heavy. I don't think there is such a thing as a completely zoom through teleconvertor. Think about it... it would have to be massive in order to prevent vignetting at the wide end of the zoom. On my Z1 I can zoom just a tiny bit farther than 50% before some vignetting is visible.

Not sure how a 35mm adaptor would be a substitute for a teleconvertor, although I guess it would let you use 35mm telephoto lenses, but the results would be very different. I use the 1.6x when I shoot our opera performances from the back of the theatre, a little over 100 feet from the stage. Works very nicely for that.

Dean Harrington February 23rd, 2007 03:13 AM

Thanks Boyd ...

A bit more than 50% zoom ....hmmmmm ... that's the same zoom range the DVX had with the Century tele-converter. I'll have to mull that over some more.

Mike McEntire February 27th, 2007 07:02 PM

I have the 1.6 for the HVX. It is sharp and provides great images. The vignetting starts around 56 or 57 on the zoom out. So if you keep that in mind it is really great. Good Luck

Robert Lane February 27th, 2007 07:08 PM

Dean,

I've tested both the 1.6x and the 2x converters from Schneider/Century. They both do a fairly good job for what they're supposed to do however there is a noticeable loss of sharpness (more in the 2x than 1.6x) some vingetting (VG) and chromatic aberrations (CA) in both lenses.

The loss of sharpness and the introduction of VG/CA isn't significant and won't kill an otherwise good shot, however you do have to be careful of backlit subjects or small points of light, that's where you'll notice the CA the most. Open-sky shots or anything with a monochromatic overtone will show the VG more.

Dean Harrington March 2nd, 2007 03:49 PM

Thanks Robert ...

Good insights there! I'm leaning toward the Brevis on this issue. I'll lose some light but I'll be able to get the ranges I need.

Chris Li March 5th, 2007 09:47 AM

Footage scale unusable

Lens adaptors on HVX will also disable the ability to focus by scale. On-screen footage scale will be wildly incorrect. Focusing by eye is the only recourse. This feature slowed me down when using 1.6x Century for some fast focus changes. Also make sure your matte box will fit the larger Outside Diameter of the lens if using filters.

Henry Harrison January 25th, 2008 01:56 PM

I was curious about the MOD (minimum object distance) for this converter so I called Century (incessently) and they went to the trouble of measuring it for me. The result is 43inches at full zoom. I figured I would post it since I couldn't find the info anywhere else.

TingSern Wong January 25th, 2008 07:52 PM

I used the 2X from Century Optics. It is ... sure ... dammed heavy. You MUST require lens support. Otherwise, the optics is very good ... just make sure you don't zoom OUTwards - or you will get vignetting.