DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX and FS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/90754-hvx-fs100.html)

Brett Bevelacqua April 5th, 2007 10:37 AM

HVX and FS100

I had every intention of adding a HVX and FS100 to the production stable until I came across this review of the FS100 on Ken Stone.

"1080i acquisition in this format is not currently supported, nor does the device provide for variable frame rates"

Is this accurate? The article said it was the ver3.0 Firmware. Am I reading something wrong?

Barry Green April 5th, 2007 10:48 AM

1080i is most definitely supported.

As for variable frame rates -- yes and no. Yes you can do it, no it's not officially fully supported. If you're using FCP and the NTSC unit, you can record all the variable frame rates you want, you just have to process the files through the Frame Rate Converter before you can access the clips as actual overcrank/undercrank.

The P2 cards have a lot of advantages over the FS-100; I'd say you should only be looking at the FS-100 if you really, really need the additional capacity it supplies and you can't make the cards work for you. Considering the cards just dropped in price about 40% today, and the capacity is going to double next month and go to 32GB by the end of the year, the FS-100 becomes more of a niche product as time goes on.

Brett Bevelacqua April 5th, 2007 01:37 PM

Thank you Barry,
I use FCP and NTSC, so that is good news for me. Bad news is I do action sports and doc work, so I need a lot of storage. The last big project I did was 150 hours of HDV. P2 would be ideal, with the 40% drop in price it might be workable.

Do you have a P2 store device?

Barry Green April 6th, 2007 09:57 AM

No, I just use a Windows laptop for offloading cards in the field.

David Saraceno April 7th, 2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Bevelacqua (Post 654379)
I had every intention of adding a HVX and FS100 to the production stable until I came across this review of the FS100 on Ken Stone.

"1080i acquisition in this format is not currently supported, nor does the device provide for variable frame rates"

Is this accurate? The article said it was the ver3.0 Firmware. Am I reading something wrong?

If you read what was written the article states:

"One new feature enables it to record the equivalent of native MXF for DVCProHD 720p24, 25 and 30. 1080i acquisition in this format is not currently supported, nor does the device provide for variable frame rates."

And you cannot record slow motion into the cam directly like in the film mode of 720/24pn over 60.

Please be factual and in context when you quote the article.

I wrote it and Matt from Focus provided that exactly language.