DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Hoodman P2 card coming up? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/91386-hoodman-p2-card-coming-up.html)

Barry Green May 10th, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 676395)
The price we pay for in the digital world.

Hey, it didn't start with digital -- don't get me started on "checking the gate for hairs" etc!

Kyle Self May 14th, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 665450)
Although P2 is highly specialized in that is has intelligence built into the RAID controller it is in fact another form of fast re-writable storage. It was only a matter of time before somebody came to the playing field with their version however I'm "hoodwinked" (pun intended) that it didn't come from a media manufacturer first.

Robert,

Why would that be? I would not expect ANY of the major media makers to be interested in making a P2 card. P2 is a small niche based on an interface that was being phased out when Pany introduced the cards. Everything forth is currently based on the express card interface and designed for multiple use, not a one product pony.

If another camera maker or two had opted to license and use P2 from Pany then you would probably have seen one of the media makers jump in.

K

Greg Hartzell May 14th, 2007 09:20 PM

What? I thought P2 was the wave of the future. Wait a minute, here. Why would a third party manufacturer produce a high priced item that most users will only buy 2 or 3 of? Doesn't this problem get worse as storage space increases? I'm not trashing on the HVX or a very viable medium. I'm just curious. The express card slot is very exciting indeed.

Barry Green May 14th, 2007 11:23 PM

ExpressCard is just another interface. You've already got CardBus, ExpressCard, SD, miniSD, microSD, CompactFlash, Memory Stick, MMC, and probably a half dozen other interfaces (or form factors or whatever you want to call it). And for whatever interface you don't have, there's an adapter.

I mean, I don't see a single computer anywhere in the world that can read an XDCAM HD disc, right? Is there any computer anywhere in the world that can read an HDV tape? They all have to use decks or adapters or something. Having the CardBus slot built-in is highly convenient for P2 users, but even if every laptop manufacturer did away with CardBus, there's always adapters, just like every other format has always had to use (except that instead of being a $17,000 deck or a $300 camcorder, the P2->ExpressCard adapter is either a) free because it's your own camera, or b) $119 for the DuelAdapter).

Tom Chartrand May 14th, 2007 11:48 PM

Roadblocks or Bridges

It's all in how you look at it. I'm staring at an old PVW2800 with the power off right now because of P2.

Convenient? I'm in Beantown with P2Lou today shooting mad and archiving in the passenger seat of my van barreling down the expressway at 65 bumping all over......There's always a way to make things work.....you just do it!

Gene Crucean May 29th, 2007 07:02 PM

Does anyone have an update on these cards?

David Saraceno May 30th, 2007 09:01 AM

Latest I heard was 60 days past the firmware update which occurred in mid March

Barry Green May 30th, 2007 09:32 AM

The firmware update came out May 8, so by their schedule we shouldn't expect to see anything from Hoodman until at least early July.

Casey Krugman July 3rd, 2007 01:11 PM

Hoodman H2 Cards

Wanted to let you guys know, I spoke to the Hoodman Sales Rep and she said the Hoodman H2 cards are expected to come out at the end of the summer 07. At first they will only have the 16gb cards, later on they will have the 32gb. She had no answer for me when exactly they would be available or the price but she said they would be available at around 10% less than the Panasonic price point. Hopefully they'll be on the way sooner than that, but if the price and performance is good, it'll be worth the wait. Also no word on compatibility issues with the p2 store but i doubt there really would be any.

TingSern Wong July 3rd, 2007 07:18 PM

I have doubts the P2Store will work with 32GB P2 cards without a corresponding Firmware upgrade. 8GB -> 16GB requires one. So, I think 16GB -> 32GB might also require another one. This means - even if Hoodman introduces their 32GB cards before Panasonic releases theirs, nobdoy in the world could use it until Pana releases their firmware for all their h/w (P2 cameras, P2 store, software for PC, etc).

Jon Wolding July 4th, 2007 11:39 AM

I thought the firmware upgrade was because of the new type of SD cards in the 16GB and 32GB P2 cards... it wasn't just a size issue, so I was thinking there'd be no need for another firmware upgrade. But I, for one, will probably stop using the P2Store in the field once the 32GB cards come out, unless you can upgrade the HDD.

TingSern Wong July 4th, 2007 12:02 PM

I don't think the 32GB P2 card will obsolete the P2Store. I think of more extending the recording time in the field. It sure beats carrying a laptop around. It is rugged, and relatively compact. If you have to film in remote locations for one month and cannot go back to base to unload the P2 card(s), even a 32GB card will get filled up as well. 32GB = 1 hour at 720p. Hence one P2Store will hold 2 hours of video. If you carry one P2 store + 2 x 32GB P2 cards, you can get 4 hours to record. I hope you see the point?

Dick Campbell July 5th, 2007 08:20 AM

call me crazy, but if I were Panny, I'd have already programmed the 32GB fix into the 16GB firmware, especially since I had already announced the coming of the 32GB P2. seems like a much better use of non-recurring resources.

TingSern Wong July 5th, 2007 09:01 AM

I certainly hope so too. But it takes only 15 minutes to download and update the firmware for P2store and another 10 minutes for the DVX202 - well, I won't raise a stink even if Panny were not to include the 32GB firmware inside the existing update.

Jon Wolding July 5th, 2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TingSern Wong (Post 707023)
I don't think the 32GB P2 card will obsolete the P2Store.

The P2Store has a 60GB HDD (usable space is actually less).... that means ONE full 32GB card can fit on it. For the price, you might as well just get an extra 32GB card. Like I said... unless you can upgrade the HDD.