DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Is there an aftermarket D-Tap cable that doesn't suck?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/92610-there-aftermarket-d-tap-cable-doesnt-suck.html)

Matt Irwin April 27th, 2007 09:54 PM

Is there an aftermarket D-Tap cable that doesn't suck?!

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a D-Terminal to Component cable that FIRMLY attaches to the HVX?

I'm willing to grin and bear it with bongo ties or gaff tape... until I start loosing video feed during every other take, causing the director to yell at the camera dept. and a producer to pull me aside (which is exactly what happened on the last shoot I was on). My patience runs out when my job security is in question.

So does a good cable exist? If so, where do I get it?
(Feel free to PM me if I have to go to a non-sponsor)

Many thanks,

Jon Wolding April 28th, 2007 02:18 AM

Yes, please let me know if there's anything out there.

Matt Irwin April 28th, 2007 11:49 AM

What would be great is a block-style adapter that mounts solid to the D-Tap, then has 3 BNC compnent connectors pointing straight back along the camera. It would live semi-permanantly on the body like compact video-tap on a film camera. No cables, no strain, just a hard plastic block. Someone manufacture that, please?

You could go even further and split the output to S-Video, Composite BNC, an additional Component out... then you could actually have more than one active output! What a concept...

Robert Lane April 29th, 2007 08:22 PM

Matt,

With the size limitations of the HVX form factor, heavy-duty connectors on all the I/O options would require a lot of real-estate both exterior and interior which just isn't available on the current HVX design.

The HPX500 however, has more robust connectors for everything, even the rear FW port is reinforced.

Matt Irwin April 30th, 2007 02:34 AM

Understandable, but surely a D-Tap connector could be made that firmly mates with the port on the HVX, instead of loosely "hanging on"...?

Robert Lane April 30th, 2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Irwin (Post 669746)
Understandable, but surely a D-Tap connector could be made that firmly mates with the port on the HVX, instead of loosely "hanging on"...?

Actually the key phrase for this issue has always been, "strain relief". Even on ENG or film cameras we always tie up/off all cables going into the camera or the accessory packs. Even though some connectors such as XLR are very robust they're not designed to take the load of a long cable tugging at the connector while the camera is moving or - god forbid - somebody walking by and tripping on a cable.

So while the small-ish D-connector on the HVX isn't very robust in it's connection you're always going to be best off putting some form of strain/stress relief on that cable.