DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Fujinon XA17x7.6BRM-M58B (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/98617-fujinon-xa17x7-6brm-m58b.html)

Steve Rosen July 10th, 2007 11:27 AM

Fujinon XA17x7.6BRM-M58B

I purchased an HPX500 with the Fujinon lens which, as I've said elsewhere, is really a very nice lens for the money... I do have one issue with it though, and wondered if anyone else has experienced it, or if it's a problem with my lens only..

I shoot wide open or at f2 most of the time because I like the shallow depth of field and the ability to isolate the subject from the background..

I've noticed that occasionally. when handholding, if I tilt the camera down briefly and then back to my eye, the aperature will change to f4.. I've had zooms change focal length like that in the past (from the weight of the glass moving the elements inside the lens) but I've never had a lens change aperature... And, no, it's not set to auto exposure when it happens...

Anyone else notice this?

Douglas Call July 11th, 2007 06:03 AM

I'm thinking of getting the same setup from BH Photo that you did:
AG-HPX500 2/3" Shoulder Mounted P2 Camcorder Kit, 1080p/1080i/720p, NTSC/PAL, included 4 16GB P2 Cards, Fujinon 17x 2/3" Lens with 2x Extender, and Tripod Quick-Release Adapter. If I pick it up soon I will definitely tell you if the lens aperature changes when pointing the whole camera body down. I frequently do this while shooting fashion designs including footwear which of course is always at quite and angle down.
One question I have about the above BH Photo Kit, do I need to order a V-mount battery plate separately (I have IDX battery system) or does the HPX500 come with several different battery plates and you just put the one that you require on?
I also noticed that the instruction manual kept talking about setting the AWB manually: "It can be changed to any color temperature using a menu option. For more information, see [Setting Color Temperature Manually]." but the only thing I found in the manual was the ability to change the A or B WB settings between -7 to +7. (Variable color temperature: Fine adjustment is possible after setting the white balance). Is there a hidden Maintenance or Utility menu somewhere that one can change the color temp to any value one desires? I have the Minolta color meter II and can take exact color temp readings anytime I want, so I'm use to dialing in the filter packs on the studio lights to give me that color temp (studio environnment) I want. But if I could just dial the color temp into the camera I guess that would be easier.

Steve Rosen July 11th, 2007 09:02 AM

Douglas; The HPX500 comes stock with an AB battery plate.. I'm told you can easily replace the plate rather than use an adapter, which would probably be somewhat bulky.. I have AB batteries, so stock is fine for me...

As for the WB presets.. I have yet to solve that or hear of anyone elses sollution - and I've been shooting with the camera almost daily for a month..

I do need to point out, however, that I am not a tech-type person - I'm an old-school industrial age film person who is happier with switches - as such there are often hidden things in electronics that I'm not aware of until someone with more sophistication points them out to me... I have yet to figure out my electronic alarm clock..

I do prefer to manually set WB too, because it's like using a filter - I'm making the conscious choice of how I want the image to look - But I have been mostly using 5600 and 3200 presets and an occasional manual WB with this camera... Nice pictures though...

Oh, and by the way, my Fujinon is the one without the 2x (I handhold 90% of the time and do anything I can to shave weight).

Seth Melnick July 11th, 2007 09:39 AM

I have the same lens but havent had any issues with the aperture changing.

As for color temp - when the manual says fine adjustment they mean the -7,+7 menu setting - that is all that is available.

I white balance off a card and then use the menu option to tune it - I think the need for precise color temp settings has become less important because any NLE can make adjustments in a quick couple clicks.

But if you want, need or like fine settings use a set of warm and cool cards - test them to see what color temp they are with the camera as it displays the temp setting on a white balance.

hope this helps

Douglas Call July 11th, 2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Melnick (Post 710357)
But if you want, need or like fine settings use a set of warm and cool cards - test them to see what color temp they are with the camera as it displays the temp setting on a white balance.

Sounds like a real good suggestion to me.

Steve Rosen July 12th, 2007 08:38 AM

Yeah that's the way to do it if you have the time and an AC... I work handheld with a soundperson (who has his own issues to deal with) shooting documentaries - and that (carrying an array of cards) is usually not an option for me.. I do occasionally WB through a 1/4 blue gel, or look around the room for a soft blue colored object.. but generally I have to rely on presets - that's why I wish I could dial them in...

Douglas Call July 12th, 2007 10:01 AM

I'm always have an elegant looking Event Reporter with me who is morethan happy to hold up the WB cards if it makes her look prettier. I have to of course tell her she's already incredibly gorgeous ;-}

Seth Melnick July 12th, 2007 11:33 AM

In my humble opinion - specific color temp setting is no longer necessary for digital footage - you need to be "in the neighborhood" to get the correct amount of information recorded. But in the end its so quick to match things in post and cheaper to do so.