DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Canon Rebel T1i footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/234551-canon-rebel-t1i-footage.html)

Chuck Fadely May 3rd, 2009 10:24 AM

Canon Rebel T1i footage

I played with a Canon Rebel T1i last night. I did a little collection of clips with some Apple loops and called it "Creatures of the Night."

Video is here: Night creatures: Canon EOS Rebel T1i low light test on Vimeo

The camera is extraordinarily difficult to shoot video with, is unusable handheld, and has terrible audio. But the footage is nice.

This was shot with a 20mm/2.8 and a 100mm/2.0 in 720p30 mode, output from Final Cut in h.264 compression. No tripod; I used whatever was handy to brace against while shooting.

There's no way you can consistently get what you want on video with the T1i, but it's a poor man's alternative to the 5dMkii.

I have only shot a few frames of still pictures, but it looks terrrific so far as a still camera.

Nathan Troutman May 21st, 2009 09:54 AM

Have you worked with the 5D at all before. I'm wondering if you're able to get the same locked settings that the 5D does. Basically when using a manual lens you get the shutter set to 1/40th and then lock the exposure. Now the exposure compensation wheel only adjust ISO. Or you can get the camera at ISO100 and lock it and then the exposure compensation wheel will only adjust shutter. This makes getting kind of manual control possible out of the 5D. I was wondering how or if this worked at all on the Rebel T1i (500D)

Thanks

Chuck Fadely May 25th, 2009 05:21 PM

From what I can figure out, the Rebel won't lock settings at all in the video mode. You can plus or minus the exposure correction but that's about it.

Monday Isa May 25th, 2009 05:34 PM

It will lock if you press the ISO button. Then dial in a better exposure using the AV and jog wheel.

Peter Weisberg May 26th, 2009 12:36 AM

how does this camera t1i compare to the d90 by nikon? are you happy with this camera?

Monday Isa May 26th, 2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman (Post 1146367)
Have you worked with the 5D at all before. I'm wondering if you're able to get the same locked settings that the 5D does. Basically when using a manual lens you get the shutter set to 1/40th and then lock the exposure. Now the exposure compensation wheel only adjust ISO. Or you can get the camera at ISO100 and lock it and then the exposure compensation wheel will only adjust shutter. This makes getting kind of manual control possible out of the 5D. I was wondering how or if this worked at all on the Rebel T1i (500D)

Thanks

The exact same but the wheel adjusts both the shutter and ISO together. Once the shutter is locked it will adjust the ISO first than adjust the shutter as need be. If it is to bright it will adjust the shutter than the ISO as the ISO will probably be at 100 anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Weisberg (Post 1148290)
how does this camera t1i compare to the d90 by nikon? are you happy with this camera?

I can not answer how it compares to the D90 but I do know the codec is much better. Also it is quite a camera for it's price. I was shocked at how nice the footage is compared to sub 3K camcorders. Definitely sharper as you use nice glass and the feel of the video is so different. Keep in mind I'm shooting 720P with it. My purpose in using the cam is for b-roll video only. Definitely not a cam to replace anything. Only one to add to the value to a production.

Monday

Peter Weisberg May 26th, 2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 1148376)
I can not answer how it compares to the D90 but I do know the codec is much better. Also it is quite a camera for it's price. I was shocked at how nice the footage is compared to sub 3K camcorders. Definitely sharper as you use nice glass and the feel of the video is so different. Keep in mind I'm shooting 720P with it. My purpose in using the cam is for b-roll video only. Definitely not a cam to replace anything. Only one to add to the value to a production.

TBH i'm just looking for a camera that can shoot video to hold me over until scarlets release. I've been wanting to invest in a good still cam and now seems like a great time to buy one.

Monday Isa May 26th, 2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Weisberg (Post 1148458)
TBH i'm just looking for a camera that can shoot video to hold me over until scarlets release. I've been wanting to invest in a good still cam and now seems like a great time to buy one.

Well depending on the type of video and understanding the limitations this can be a really sweet deal for you to hold off till scarlet.

Richard Hunter May 28th, 2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Isa (Post 1148145)
It will lock if you press the ISO button. Then dial in a better exposure using the AV and jog wheel.

Hi Monday. My wife's 500D doesn't work like that. This is just an exposure compensation, you can't really control shutter, aperture or ISO by doing this. You just make the image darker or brighter but the camera decides what gets changed.

And the exposure lock doesn't hold if you adjust the zoom setting on the lens.

Richard

Monday Isa May 28th, 2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 1149543)
Hi Monday. My wife's 500D doesn't work like that. This is just an exposure compensation, you can't really control shutter, aperture or ISO by doing this. You just make the image darker or brighter but the camera decides what gets changed.

And the exposure lock doesn't hold if you adjust the zoom setting on the lens.

Richard

Hi Richard,

If you use a nikon lens you can control the aperture. Then the camera only controls the ISO and shutter. Then the dial will lower the ISO then shutter or vice versa if your outside. It is a exposure compensation as you state. If your lens is not the same F-stop it will reset the exposure lock upon zooming with the lens. For instance if your wife has the kit lens which is 3.5-5.6 the aperture changes when zooming in. The camera reads this and will compensate the exposure. It's the same thing with the 5D till you get the firmware update. If you use a 2.8 lens or a 4.0 lens through, then there is no aperture change and the exposure lock does not change. I use primes Nikon primes with the cam so the camera only controls the ISO and shutter. It's much easier controlling it that way. Another trick you can use is cover the front of the lens and watch the aperture open up as much as it can. Lock the exposure then turn the lens just a bit so the connectors disconnect. Then the lens is locked in aperture you have selected. Then the camera will only control the ISO and shutter and you have the desired aperture you prefer. Hope this helps. I basically have used the exact techniques the 5D crew has used and it works the same. The benefit for them is now they get manual controls first week in June. We just get a nice camera for under $800 for the body and get to live their nightmare for now.

Monday

Richard Hunter May 28th, 2009 05:23 AM

Hi Monday, thanks for the clarification. Nikon lenses, OK I get it. :)

Richard

Monday Isa May 28th, 2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Hunter (Post 1149569)
Hi Monday, thanks for the clarification. Nikon lenses, OK I get it. :)

Richard

No problem. I see how I can definitely confuse people with what I wrote. :/ You can also use canon lens you just have to disengage the the connectors slightly to maintain the aperture settings with the Canon lens.

Bruce Foreman June 12th, 2009 01:03 PM

I just got the T1i yesterday. I can "lock" SOMETHING (not quite sure what is really locked) with the ISO button and then with the AV and jog wheel adjust exposure compensation over a -2 stop to +2 stop range.

That helps some. But when I try turning the lens enough to disengage contacts I can' t tell if it leaves the aperture where it was last. I'm using an old 50mm f1.8 lens left over from the original EOS 650.

I guess I haven't had enough time to really play with it.

I have an EOS mount to Nikon lens adapter coming and am eying used 50mm f1.4 Nikkor S lenses from the Nikon F era. Has anyone tried this one on a T1i and can confirm the size of the lens barrel fits under the flip up flash?

Monday Isa June 12th, 2009 01:41 PM

Hey Bruce,
I'm using a Nikon 50mm 1.8 and the lens in small that it does not interfere with the pop up flash. When using a Canon lens the ISO locks the aperture, shutter, and ISO. If you can't control the aperture the camera is going to get frustrating to use. I was using a 135L 2.0 and it was not fun using that and auto settings. I would open up the lens by covering the fron with my hand. Once the aperture is at 2.0 I pressed the ISO button to lock everything. I disengaged the lens from the initial contact of the body you can hear when it disengages. Then your good to go. What ever aperture your working with prior to the disengage it will stay there I believe. I was renting the lens and always tried to keep it at 2.0 so I can not comment on the other values. Once the lens is disengage your only worrying about the shutter and ISO which I believe the camera does a better job selecting those values then selecting all three. Hope this helps.

Monday

Bruce Foreman June 12th, 2009 05:22 PM

Oh yes, Monday. It helps to know those things. I have a Nikon lens to EOS adapter on the way and a few minutes ago I found a Nikon 50mm f1.8 in the older series that looks very clean and it just got ordered. Less flare and distortion than the 1.4 and still has pretty selective DOF at 1.8.

I'm really hoping that Canon gives us a similar firmware update to what they did with the 5D MkII before too much longer. It will really be to their advantage to do so as competitors will jump in with more flexibility if they don't and will take this market away from them. They will also benefit more from lens sales if they give this to us.

Thanks for the information you put out here.

Stay in just enough trouble to have a little bit of fun.