DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   What lens for shooting interviews with 5D? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/492216-what-lens-shooting-interviews-5d.html)

Peter Berger February 24th, 2011 11:10 AM

What lens for shooting interviews with 5D?

What lens could you recommend for shooting interviews with 5D? My budget is $400. I'm considering considering Canon 50mm f1.4
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html), but maybe you know about something better.

Buba Kastorski February 25th, 2011 09:45 AM

Re: What lens for shooting interviews with 5D?

If it's one camera and considering your budget my choice would be between 50mm f1.4 and 35mm f2, but no hand held with no IS, and I like to mix fixed tripod shots with hanheld for interviews, but that's 2-3 cameras setup and different budget

Peter Berger February 25th, 2011 04:48 PM

Somebody on other forum told me I should rather use 85mm lens for interviews. So I'm really hesitating now :) Most of my shot will be probably medium close ups. And of course, I will buy other lenses in future too. I just need something for start.

Charles Papert February 25th, 2011 05:39 PM

I would consider a 50mm too wide for a standard interview with a 5D. It would be fine for certain applications but not others (women in particular will be more flattered by a longer lens). 85 is a good choice.

Marcus Martell February 26th, 2011 04:15 AM

Buba sorry for the newbie question:
Why u say NO IS for the interview? Cause is already on the tripod?
thx

Buba Kastorski March 3rd, 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1622256)
Buba sorry for the newbie question:
Why u say NO IS for the interview? Cause is already on the tripod?
thx

I didn't say no IS for interview, i said no hand held with no IS, and it's for any type of shooting not just for interview,
but again, it is my personal opinion, to me hand held DSLR footage with no IS is not acceptable

Charles Papert March 3rd, 2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1624018)
but again, it is my personal opinion, to me hand held DSLR footage with no IS is not acceptable

Really? Why?

Buba Kastorski March 3rd, 2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1624022)
Really? Why?

I didn't expect that kind of question from professional,
because it looks like carp, and you know the difference between just shaky camera, and caemera you want to look shaky,
don't you?

Charles Papert March 3rd, 2011 09:42 PM

Sure, but it sounds like you are describing a bare camera with lens held in the hands? My setup is 15 lbs and sits balanced on the shoulder, so the results are no different than they would be with a similar mass (2/3" camera, Super 16 etc). You could argue that the rolling shutter creates issues in handheld footage but I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

For longer lenses, like the 70-200, I do agree that IS is nearly mandatory--I'll even switch it on for tripod work (like a second tight angle on an interview) as I find the IS will wipe out the twitching that can be a result of your pulse coming through the head, plus the lens jumping that can occur when using a follow focus as it torques the lens against the mount. Yes, it does make things a bit "swimmy" but I learned to deal with it pretty quickly. And if one is any flavor of handheld, IS will help take the curse out of the telephoto lens.

I don't own any IS lenses (including my zooms) and have done plenty of handheld, and it's worked out fine. It looks just like any other camera. But again, that's with a counterweighted shoulder mount setup. Handholding the camera by itself is, I agree, too shaky unless you are going for a very specific look.

Dan Asseff March 3rd, 2011 10:49 PM

Hey Charles,

Would show a picture of your set up?

Dan

Robert Turchick March 4th, 2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1624166)
I didn't expect that kind of question from professional,
because it looks like carp, and you know the difference between just shaky camera, and caemera you want to look shaky,
don't you?

Gotta go with Charles here...my rig works fantastic without IS. BUT it's a shoulder system that's balanced like an ENG camera. I even shoot my 70-200 f4.0 NON IS on the rig and get great results.

Back to the OP...(and once again agreeing with Charles!) I use the 50mm 1.4 on my 7D which turns it into an 80mm. Works great for interviews and is super fast for those times the light just can't be there. The 85mm f1.8 on a 5D would be roughly the equivalent and within your budget.
I also use the 28mm 1.8 (roughly a 45mm on the crop sensor) and it's good for wider angles or group shots. So the 50 would fit the bill there.

Buba Kastorski March 17th, 2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1624298)
Sure, but it sounds like you are describing a bare camera with lens held in the hands?

Exactly, and that's how i shoot my handheld footage, (IS lenses only ) even with 70-200 @ 200mm :) and I love it mixed with nice tripod and flying shots.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1624298)
My setup is 15 lbs and sits balanced on the shoulder, so the results are no different than they would be with a similar mass (2/3" camera, Super 16 etc). You could argue that the rolling shutter creates issues in handheld footage but I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

15lb sholder rig is a solid base and i am sure will produce better looking footage with no IS lens than handheld with, but I shoot 3-4 cameras, and two of them ran by me so most of the time, if i am not with with steadicam, I have tripod with EX1 and 7D and 1D on my belt, so no room for shoulder rig :)