DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Sony Alpha NEX-5N VS 60D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/500887-sony-alpha-nex-5n-vs-60d.html)

Tariq Peter September 20th, 2011 04:56 AM

Sony Alpha NEX-5N VS 60D

Hi,

A friend of mine is about to purchase a NEX-5N to shoot wedding photography, I agree it is not a DSLR and I am a little scared that when he turns up at a wedding with that camera there may be a few raised eyebrows. However he is adamant that it is an all round better camera and the quality is just as good as the DSLR with the correct lens. I have tried to get as many answers as I can and it seems that he may a point. Has anybody used the NEX-5N and would you agree that this is a better option compared to something like the 6OD?

Kin Lau September 20th, 2011 08:05 PM

Re: Sony Alpha NEX-5N VS 60D

Wedding Photography or video? Is this guy a pro or just getting started?

The NEX5N will do a fine job in the hands of a pro, but it'll be a struggle. There's only 3 good primes available (soon), the 16/2.8 24/1.8 & 50/1.8. You can shoot a wedding with just the 3, but it's not easy and there's no f2.8 zoom.

I would lean towards the NEX7 + 24/1.8 instead, and shoot it like a RF along with a dslr with a f2.8 zoom.

Colin Rowe September 22nd, 2011 10:58 AM

I had a Nex 5 for a few months. Wonderfull little camera, superb stills. I found the video side let it down. In manual, not that there is a true manual mode, you set the exposure and everything looks fine, as soon as you press the record button the image brightness drops immediately. You have to use exposure compensation to get the image the way you want it, but you can only do this once recording has begun. In P mode everything is recorded as you see on the LCD, but the shutter speed changes to compensate for low light, not ideal. Far to many electronic decisions made, even in manual mode. At least with the Canons, WYSIWYG
As far as lenses go, use whatever you want, there are adaptors available for most vintage primes.

Mark Rosenzweig September 22nd, 2011 02:32 PM

"In manual, not that there is a true manual mode, you set the exposure and everything looks fine, as soon as you press the record button the image brightness drops immediately. You have to use exposure compensation to get the image the way you want it, but you can only do this once recording has begun. In P mode everything is recorded as you see on the LCD, but the shutter speed changes to compensate for low light, not ideal. Far to many electronic decisions made, even in manual mode. "

As you say, this info is for the NEX 5, not the NEX 5N, which is wah the inquiry is about. The NEX 5 had no manual mode whatsoever in video (later it allowed aperture priority only with a firmware update). If you were in manual mode for stills and pressed the video button the camera goes to auto mode, so of course the exposure would change and there is nothing you can do about it.

The 5N is completely different. It has full manual mode in video and you can change settings while shooting. Manual mode includes aperture priority, shutter priority, and full manual with iso control also. It is a whole different camera in video than the 5. The optional OLED viewfinder works great too.

The NEX 7 packs more pixels onto the same size sensor; it's performance in low light might be worse than that of the NEX 5N.

Colin Rowe September 22nd, 2011 04:08 PM

whoop's, eyes didnt register the N