DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   Left Eye or Right Eye? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/513448-left-eye-right-eye.html)

Shannon Rawls January 12th, 2013 07:59 PM

Left Eye or Right Eye?

Hi people,

I'm curious to know what most people do...
When looking through the viewfinder, do you use your left eye (nose on lcd screen) or right eye (nose hangs off the side)?

Allan Black January 12th, 2013 08:05 PM

Re: Left Eye or Right Eye?

Practise shooting with both eyes open. When you're outdoors in a big crowd or with traffic around etc, you can see stuff coming into shot,
and maybe rescue the rig. News guys trick.

Cheers.

Lee Mullen January 12th, 2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1772876)
Practise shooting with both eyes open. When you're outdoors in a big crowd or with traffic around etc, you can see stuff coming into shot,
and maybe rescue the rig. News guys trick.

Cheers.

Yes I agree and do practice this. Very handy to navigate.

Arnie Schlissel January 13th, 2013 03:00 PM

Back in the days when I was a newspaper photographer, I taught myself to shoot with both eyes open. Left eye in the camera, right eye in the real world.

It may cause you headaches at first, but keeping both eyes open will allow you to see what is going on around you and will help you see (& shoot) something that you would easily miss otherwise.

BTW, I am right handed, but left eyed. It's an odd combination for your dominant hand and dominant eye to be different, but the way most SLR cameras were designed in the 80s & 90s it worked to my advantage..

Trevor Dennis January 13th, 2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls (Post 1772874)
Hi people,

When looking through the viewfinder, do you use your left eye (nose on lcd screen) or right eye (nose hangs off the side)?

OK. I'm going to be stuck with a mind picture of someone with their nose 'hanging off the side' of their face for the rest of today now. :-)

Sareesh Sudhakaran January 13th, 2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls (Post 1772874)
Hi people,

DSLR viewfinders are placed for use with the right eye, so the nose does not touch the LCD.

Warren Kawamoto January 14th, 2013 02:58 AM

I'm strange. When I shoot DSLR, I use my left eye. When I shoot video cameras, I use my right.

Roger Van Duyn January 14th, 2013 07:13 AM

Many people have one eye that is dominant, that sees better than the other, and they tend to use that eye naturally. Most of the time, for right handed people it's their right eye, and left handed people their left eye. But not always. I'm right handed, but my left eye is dominant.