DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/)
-   -   HDMI monitor for NEX7 under us$400? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photo-hd-video-d-slr-others/515907-hdmi-monitor-nex7-under-us-400-a.html)

Rafael Lopes April 18th, 2013 03:30 AM

HDMI monitor for NEX7 under us$400?

Hi guys,

I´m a big fan of the NEX system and have been working with it for some time. I currently own a NEX7 and I would like to get an external HDMI monitor to go with it under us$400. I saw some videos of people using the Sony CLM-V55 but I could not find many comments. I love the fact that it has a headphone plug! Since I will mount it on the camera I would not like anything very heavy.
Any suggestions? (I´ve read some horror stories about the Lilliputs but I´m not sure if it was just bad luck).

Paul Wood April 18th, 2013 04:50 AM

Re: HDMI monitor for NEX7 under us$400?

Hi Rafael,

I have a CLM-V55, and it works OK with the NEX range - I'm sure there are better monitors available now, but at its price, it works well.
The peaking feature is not brilliant, but with its built in sunshade, and expanded focus, it can help with focussing, although I generally use it for framing, either on a NEX 5, or VG10.

Weight is not an issue, and with a small battery, I can get several hours shooting

Rafael Lopes April 18th, 2013 05:07 AM

Thanks, Paul.

Can you confirm if you can hear audio when using the headphone with the NEX? I´re read that is is not enabled for all cameras via hdmi. I´ve connected my NEX7 to my HD TV and I could not hear anything on the TVs´ headphones. This would be a big plus for me as the NEX7 has no audio out plug.

I couldn´t help noticing that it says "SP, Brazil" on your signature. Are you living in here or just visiting (your name doesn´t exactly scream brazil hehehe)? Did you get the monitor here in Brazil? I´m so sick of all the waiting and taxing when I order from abroad...which is 95% of the time.

Paul Wood April 19th, 2013 12:07 PM

Hi Rafael,

I must admit I hadn't tried it - but tested with my NEX 5, and there is no sound on recording, only on playback. On the VG10, there is sound on both recording and playback, so I guess your TV test was correct, and it depends on the model.

I normally use the NEX 5 for stills, or as a C cam, and plug my headphones directly into my main camera (FS100), rather than the monitor.

I now live in Brazil, since last year when my father in law died, and we moved over from Spain, where I lived for 20 yrs, to look after my wife's mother. - Still waiting for my RG, so so far we have some cows and live on the farm, but Im planning on getting into filming when I can.
I bought all my kit in Spain, or from the UK - at the time, we did not plan to be over here, but I dread the idea of the delay and prices here! Anything major, it seems almost worth a trip to Europe!

I'm from England - hence the name! - I had the same issue in Spain, except my name is even more difficult to pronounce in Spanish!

Rafael Lopes April 19th, 2013 12:11 PM

Your experience is similar to mine. I was born in Rio de Janeiro but I left for Portugal when I was 11 (my father is Portuguese), then I move to Barcelona where I lived 7 years before returning to Rio de Janeiro (I´ve been here for about 3 years now...but sometimes I still feel like a tourist)

Paul Wood April 19th, 2013 12:34 PM

Small world! - I lived in Belverde, south of Lisbon, for a few years, whilst working for AutoEuropa!
Now shared interest brings us to DVInfo!

Paul

Rafael Lopes April 23rd, 2013 07:47 AM

I´ve plugged my NEX7 into my 2 HD TVs via HDMI and you CAN monitor the sound that is being fed to the NEX7 by using the TVs´ headphone out...BUT only when you hit "record" you get sound :). So there you have it, a small little monitor that will allow you to hear more or less what is being recorded into the NEX7 :)

Rafael Lopes April 25th, 2013 01:44 PM

Looking around I´ve found this for us$245 http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEELWORLD-5-...item20d1840294

The resolution is higher than the Sony CLM-V55s´ but I have no idea about the quality...I would guess it should be like Lilliputs´
Other than the quality I´m also worried if it will let me monitor 24p out of the NEX7 or the MarkII? It doesn´t show up in their HDMI support format

Specification:
Display panel size
5.6 inch 3072000Pixels
Panel type
TFT LCD
Resolution
1280*800
Display ratio
16:9
Brightness
220cd/m²
Contrast
500:1
Response time
30ms
Viewing angle
85°/85° (L/R); 85°/85° (U/D)
Backlight
LED
Horizontal frequency range
30-75kHz
Field frequency range
60Hz ~ 75Hz
Max resolution
1920x1440
Signal input
HDMI, VIDEO, AUDIO
Signal outpt
HDMI
HDMI Support format
480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 1080/50p, 1080/60p
Video color system
PAL-4.43; NTSC-3.58
Input power voltage
DC6-24V
Power consumption
≤7W
Standby current
≤50mA
Working temperature
-20~55°C
Storage temperature
-30~65°C
Size
163 x 117 x 44mm
Net weight
300g (only the monitor)

Contains:
1x 5.6" HD LCD Monitor
1x HDMI Cable
1x Sun Shade
1x Hotshoe Mount
Hexagon Wrench & Screws
User Manual

Rafael Lopes May 26th, 2013 11:16 AM

Hey Paul,

I´ve bought the Sony monitor and I´m waiting for it to arrive. What battery are you using with it and how many hours are you getting? On the specs list it says it´s compatible with NP-FM500H/QM71D/QM91D but I think the QM71D and QM91D may make it way too heavy on the NEX.