DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Softbox type (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/114119-softbox-type.html)

Dave Dodds February 6th, 2008 10:40 AM

Softbox type

I've been considering getting softboxes (small ones) for my Lowel Pro Lights. I've got the Photoflex Silverdomes for my Omni Lights and I'm pretty happy with them. My question for the Pro Light is this - while it's not truly a fresnel, should I get the deeper models, like the Cinedome? Or would the spread at full flood be fine (with a minimal hotspot) with the Silverdome?

Thanks.

~~Dave

Henry Cho February 6th, 2008 11:32 AM

pro lights don't really have the wattage or size to give you a really nice soft light. i like the pro light a lot, but putting a full size softbox on them would be a bit of a waste. do they even have speed rings for the pro light? i would look at lowel's broad lights. the tota, or even the v-light, would be better choices IMHO. you can use lower wattage bulbs to match your omnis, and the distribution of light should be much better.

David Decker February 6th, 2008 12:06 PM

I have a couple of the photoflex soft boxes (medium) that I use with my v-lights and a tota, and am very happy with the output. I also use the honeycomb attachment on the face which guides the output more directionally. The only thing I would like different is the time it takes to set these up. Lowell makes a light system, I believe it's called a Rifa light which is a collapsible system that would save some time. Might be worth a look.

Dave Dodds February 6th, 2008 12:50 PM

I'm very happy with what I've got in the Omnis and I'm not looking to replace or equal that.

I just want a better way to soften my Pro-Lights when I don't want them hard. Some diffusion on the barndoors works ok and the Lowel gel frame is OK, but they're too small and I want an easy way to get more diffused. Currently to do this, I'm shooting them through frames, either 18x24 silks or 20x24 gel frames, but it gets complicated and when I want to fly that setup on a boom, it just becomes a real pain. That's why I want a box for it, specifically a 16x22 one.

Photoflex doesn't make a speedring for the Pro, but Chimera has one that's compatible with Photoflex boxes.

I know how little the Pro Light puts out but I definitely want a box for it anyway. The question stands - do I go with a deeper one like those that are recommended for fresnels, or will a standard one like the Silverdome give me an even spread?

Thanks.

~~Dave

Steve Oakley February 6th, 2008 11:24 PM

I've been using a cheap softbox I got off ebay for $45. SB quality is a bit junky, but its ok for the price. its 24X32, same size as my wescott for the DP light. funny thing is, this thing came with a eggcrate and 2 pattern scrims that fit the wescott too, and the whole thing cost less then what wescott wants for the eggcrate alone.

I'm using 125W bulb in the prolight and it makes for a nice fill light against the wescott with a 500W DP. I've also used it as a key when shooting in bars. puts out plenty of light as long as you are NOT trying to match it up to something with a 1K bulb in it. also works nice as a hair light too. as for spread, just use the inner diffuser and life will be good, but you may want the 250W bulb. then again, maybe the DB should go to a FLo bulb or two and save the heat & electric.

Dave Dodds February 7th, 2008 10:31 AM

Thanks Steve. I totally forgot about those inner baffles. I'm going with the slightly deeper Cinedome because at the 16"x22" size, that's got the baffle while the Silverdome doesn't. It's only 5" deeper than the regular.

And yeah, that Pro-Light is a great light. Straight up, with no diffusion, it's plenty of light in a lot of situations. With diffusion, it still does the trick most of the time.

Thanks for the help.

~~Dave