DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   stand for a 650w fresnel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/11509-stand-650w-fresnel.html)

Josh Bass July 1st, 2003 04:15 PM

stand for a 650w fresnel

I recently bought a 650 watt fresnel, of the Bardwell and McAlister brand, and don't have a stand for it. I wondered if you had some specific brand recommendations. The guy at pyramid films, where I bought the light, said the stand he recommends is $135, and I would like to get something less expensive.

Dylan Couper July 1st, 2003 04:20 PM

I bought Manfrotto light stands, but forget which model. They were about $110us I think.

Josh Bass July 2nd, 2003 01:17 AM

Would it happen to be the Avenger? If not, is the avenger sufficient? What weight rating should I be looking for, or are those ratings intentionally misleading (the way cameras advertise their minimum lux requirement)?

And I love how no one has heard of the type of light I bought. Makes me very confident in the wise-osity of my decision.

Matt Gettemeier July 2nd, 2003 03:56 PM

Avenger = Manfrotto = Bogen.

I went with the 420 stands in black. $116.00 They are combo/boom stands... I think you'll be safe with anything Manfrotto makes... I trust their capacity specs. you may end up needing to sandbag the leg bottoms though.

John Hartney July 22nd, 2003 08:42 PM

For general use I like Matthews Light Heavy double risers ( or triple if you need more than 8'4")

Designed primarily for use in lighting kits, this stand is compact and light weight. Many MSE Kit Stands employ a brake shoe system for locking off the riser tubes as opposed to pinch castings, thus permitting the use of heavier fixtures.

Check them out at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___99164___MALSLHDRK___REG___CatID=1366___SID =F6C52B846D0___call=features#goto_features

If I don't use a c-stand, I use these... they support 25lbs.....

Best,

John Hartney
werks.tv

Rob Wilson July 22nd, 2003 09:27 PM

Josh,

Just used some Avenger Stands for the first time and was really impressed with the quailty and stability. Just my .02

Josh Bass July 23rd, 2003 01:26 AM

Well, I found this place through ebay called the J&K group-they operate out of Allen, Texas, and they had these lightweight aluminum stands for $50 each. They go up 13 feet! They are considered Heavy duty, despite the lightweightness. I would say the thinnest section of the stand is about 3/4 inch thick to an an inch, maybe more. The legs spread out to 3.5 feet at their widest, and the stands are air cushioned. I got two, and used them for the first time tonight. I must say, they performed well. I'd forgotten sandbags or any equivalent substitute, and had the stands raised to their maximum height, with a 650w fresnel on one and a Arri 300 on the other, outside, on a somewhat windy night. Neither fell over or came close, so I think they're pretty cool. My only complaint is the stud piece at the top. It's separate from the stand, in that you use one of the knobs to lock it into the top of the stand (unlike, say, a lowel stand where the stud is part of the top section). Anyway, these studs are 2-sided, one being having a 3/8 inch thread on it, and the other a 5/8 inch thread (I think, I have no idea what I'm talking about sometimes. this could be one of those times.) Anyway, the first time I screwed the stud into the top section and mounted one of my lights on it, I had the wrong end up, and screwed the light on too hard, snapping off the threaded piece. So those studs could be made stronger. Other than that, good stuff.

Richard Veil August 6th, 2003 01:14 AM

What stand did he recommend? Try

An Avenger A630B or a BAsic bogen stand. Your light is not to heavy and it also depends on how high you want the stand to go.
Look for a Bogen 3333. Also consider a convertable boom if you want to kill two mice with one brick.
Strength and honor
R

Josh Bass August 6th, 2003 01:32 AM

Speaking of booms, will they attach to any kind of light stand, as long as it has the right mount?

Richard Veil August 6th, 2003 02:11 AM

Booms..

Well Yes and no.. you need a stable stand to support the boom. It may attach but it may fall over...
The convertable boom from bogen does both it is a stand and a boom. it is one of my favorites. Avenger makes a nicer version.
You can find it on their website.. www.bogenphoto.com I think.
If you want to add a boom to the stand you are going to buy now you will want to get a c stand.. maybe but trust me look at the avenger or bogen convertable now...
Strength and honor
r

Josh Bass August 6th, 2003 03:26 AM

Already got the stands. They are heavy duty, but they're lightweight aluminum, and will need counterweights. I just want to know if I can buy just a boom arm and attach it to one of these puppies.

Richard Veil August 6th, 2003 08:17 AM

Yea.. I would look at..

Bogens basic boom. an Avenger and Matthews may be to heavy but you should check them out. Keep in mind the weight you will be putting on the boom and look into a weight bag to keep the stand and boom balanced. If you are going to locations I would advise making or buying a water weight bag. What stand do you have now?
In any case I would look at www.bogenphoto.com
Strength and honor
r

Josh Bass August 6th, 2003 11:42 AM

The stand I have now is from a company called the "J&K Group." It's an air cushioned, black aluminum stand, legs spread out to 3.5 feet when fully extended, and the height can reach 13 feet.