DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Portable Power solutions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/12307-portable-power-solutions.html)

Robbie Smolinsky July 21st, 2003 05:13 PM

Portable Power solutions?

Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone might have some suggestions on how I could possibly use lights on an outdoor location with no access to any normal power sources (i.e. wall power from a building, power from a car). I don't really want to use one of those little on camera lights, I would prefer some solution where I could use multiple lights that I already own. I was looking into gas powered generators, but I think that would be just too loud all together. So if anyone has any suggestions (or wants to just let me know its not going to happen!) I'd be glad to take any advice. Thanks so much!!

Robbie

Nathan Gifford July 21st, 2003 07:11 PM

You need to build a power budget. How many watts do you think you will need. You will also need to consider what kind of power quality is required.

One simple solution is to use a battery inverter. The problem with this type of device is that it does not generate a true sine wave like you get from power mains. Many electrical devices will have problems with this type power output.

Inverters are sized by watts. They are commonly sized from about 100 watts to 1000 watts. They can be purchased from electronics stores or even Wal-Mart.

You will also need a high capacity 12 volt battery like those used in automotive, marine, or farm applications.

Robbie Smolinsky July 21st, 2003 07:23 PM

Hello,
Well, I would like something in the 1000-1500 watt range, but I would settle for less. Could you give me an example of what you meant by power quality? I didn't mean to be so vague in my question, but I really don't even know what I'm aiming for yet! lol. So basically I could hook it up to a car battery or something, but my question is, would there be any way to charge that battery if it wasn't actually mounted in my car? Thanks for the reply Nathan!!!

Robbie

Jacques Mersereau July 21st, 2003 07:37 PM

I bought a 200W honda. I love it. Quiet and good quality.
Easily transportable.

I can run three Source 4 parnels (575W HPL) without issue.

The only thing better would be if I could afford HMI lights.

Nathan Gifford July 21st, 2003 08:01 PM

I think you mean 2,000 watt Honda. A 200 watter would not run even one 575 watt panel.

Inverters vary in power waveform output. Most of the common units have a square wave output. If the equipment is very sensitive duty cycle a square wave could cause problems. So you will need to do a little checking before going this route.

Inverters also eat batteries. Always use a very high capacity battery and very good cables. The inverter will be the lightest component.

A couple of warnings about using generators. Be very careful about using them indoors. The fuel vapors are explosive, and the exhaust fumes are poisonous.

Jacques Mersereau July 21st, 2003 08:22 PM

Sorry, missed a 0 ;)

Robbie Smolinsky July 21st, 2003 08:56 PM

Jacques: About that 2000W Honda, is that gas powered? And could you give me a model number so I can look it up please? Thanks!! Also, could you give me an idea of how quiet it is. For example, do you have to hide it around a corner somewhere, or is it quiet enough to have in the immediate area?

And for me, using it indoors with the fumes and the sort is not that much of an issue, I just mainly need something for outdoors where I have no outlet access. Thanks again everyone for your replies!!!

I apologize if my newb questions are obvious and foolish, but I really appreciate the people on these web boards being so kind and willing to help!

Robbie

Jacques Mersereau July 22nd, 2003 08:21 AM

Hi,

Yes, it takes gasoline. You cannot use it real close by, but a couple of
100' 10-12 gauge cables will get it far enough away that you won't hear it.

Yeah, stick it around a corner, behind a tree or car and that will help
knock the direct sound way down too.

I got mine from Hayes.
Go to:
http://www.hayesequipment.com/wholesale.htm

EU2000i HONDA_ GENERATOR

SUPER QUIET!
LIGHTWEIGHT!
CLEAN POWER!
Our Best Selling Honda Generator
Honda EU2000i

* 2,000 watts max.
* 1,600 watts rated
* Engine: 3.5 HP, 4 stroke, Single cylinder, overhead cam, air cooled
* Starter: Recoil
* Noise level: 53-59 dB (1/4 load & Rated load) 60dB is normal speech!
* Weight: 46.3 lbs. Dry
* tank size: 1.0 gallons
* Run time: 15.0/4.0 hrs. (1/4 load & Rated load)
* DC output (Requires optional cable)
* 20" x 11.4" x 16.7" Dimensions (LxWxH)
* Eco-Throttle - Engine RPM adjusts to amperage draw. (Scroll Down for More Information)
* Low oil shut down
* Ac and DC breaker
* Honda inverter technology provides a pure sine wave allowing computers and other sensitive testing equipment to be run with confidence (Scroll Down for More Information)
* Parallel operation with optional connector and second EU2000i doubles available power

John Hartney July 22nd, 2003 08:30 PM

Another good choice is a Yamaha EF1000IS 1,000-Watt Inverter Generator...

Extremely lightweight at only 27.9 pounds
Operates quietly at only 47 dBA
Inverter technology with pulse width modulation control
Super "clean" electrical frequency
Full 2 year warranty for peace of mind ownership

Rob Lohman July 25th, 2003 07:54 AM

What price range would such generators be in?

Jacques Mersereau July 25th, 2003 08:09 AM

Hey Rob,

if you go the URL mentioned above in one of my previous posts
(hayes equipment) you can get the _nice_ 2000W Honda for $949.00
delivered. I think that is quite a bit lower than what I paid
just a year ago.

John Hartney July 25th, 2003 08:49 PM

The yamaha sells for $599... I think it is a good choice if you're using Kino Flos or another cool light that doesn't draw much...

I use a 4 bank, and 2-2bank divas with it and it is very quiet...

The honda is a great unit too, with twice as much power, but it weighs twice as much and is noisier...

Still a great choice depending on your need....

John Threat July 26th, 2003 09:23 AM

http://www.store4power.com/inverters-high-power/inverters-high-power.asp?

installing a power inverter in a car is a good option for portable power. You wont power an HMI or a 10k with your car, but you can get 2 to 5k out of your alternator

Jacques Mersereau July 26th, 2003 01:25 PM

Watch out. IMO, I don't think you'll get anywhere near
5kW @120v (~50 AMPS!) out of a cigarette lighter. 5000W @ 12v DC maybe
hooked up directly to the battery, but you'll need big cables and
clamps to pass that much juice in a constant draw.

Also, if you price a "good" 5000W inverter you'll
find they are more expensive than the 2000W generator.
A cheap one will burn out in short order.