DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   kino diva 400 went bang (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/141083-kino-diva-400-went-bang.html)

Phil Bloom January 7th, 2009 12:31 PM

kino diva 400 went bang

Brand new, was buzzing from first time I used it then as I switched it off a loud bang came from within the ballast and it now won't fire up...any ideas?

Chris Soucy January 7th, 2009 04:20 PM

Hi Phil..............

Burial, with full military honours, perhaps?

Slightly more practical, find the receipt and "Return To Sender" post haste.

CS

Daniel Epstein January 7th, 2009 04:39 PM

Warranty repair of defective Ballast. Unless for some reason you plugged in a US version in a 220Volt socket. Then they might argue over the repair.

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 990623)
Brand new, was buzzing from first time I used it then as I switched it off a loud bang came from within the ballast and it now won't fire up...any ideas?

Phil:

Long shot, the Diva is sold in 120V only versions and dual voltage versions (240/120V). I have never used the dual voltage version and don't know if it has a switch for 240V operation but if it does have a voltage switch or setting and you had it on 120V and plugged into 240V, yes, I agree with Chris, that would definitely cause a bang.

Check it out and let us know.

Dan

Chris Soucy January 7th, 2009 05:23 PM

Hi Dan.............

The 400 Universal has an auto voltage sensing power supply, no switch to forget (or so says the Kino web site).

So I guess, unless it was a 120 Volt unit (who's fault would that be? Could be interesting) it's just plain faulty out of the box.

CS

Shaun Roemich January 7th, 2009 05:41 PM

Smoke

Obviously, you let the smoke out.

Let me explain: all electronic circuits "feed" on smoke. When you purchase a new electronic device, it comes with a certain amount of smoke inside to feed all the hungry little bits. When you plug in the device, all you are doing is warming up the smoke to make it more palatable to the electronic doohickeys inside your device. When the smoke has been adequately heated, the electronic parts begin to do their part to make the device work, in the case of your light, they create light by shining it out of their bums.

Sometimes, if one isn't careful OR if the smoke containing vessels are somehow ruptured, the smoke is let out and the device ceases to work. You'll know if this is in fact the case as you will see the smoke come out of your device.

Hope you got a chuckle. Good luck with the repair/replacement.

Chris Soucy January 7th, 2009 05:44 PM

Shaun...........

Speaking of smoking................

CS

Dan Brockett January 7th, 2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 990870)
Obviously, you let the smoke out.

Let me explain: all electronic circuits "feed" on smoke. When you purchase a new electronic device, it comes with a certain amount of smoke inside to feed all the hungry little bits. When you plug in the device, all you are doing is warming up the smoke to make it more palatable to the electronic doohickeys inside your device. When the smoke has been adequately heated, the electronic parts begin to do their part to make the device work, in the case of your light, they create light by shining it out of their bums.

Sometimes, if one isn't careful OR if the smoke containing vessels are somehow ruptured, the smoke is let out and the device ceases to work. You'll know if this is in fact the case as you will see the smoke come out of your device.

Hope you got a chuckle. Good luck with the repair/replacement.

Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

You are giving away the secrets. Now the rabid elves are going to descend on you and take you away to the gathering place for a ritual stoning.

Dan

Shaun Roemich January 7th, 2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 990928)
Now the rabid elves are going to descend on you and take you away to the gathering place for a ritual stoning.

I think CS was intimating earlier that I was already ston... never mind.

Dan Brockett January 8th, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 990949)
I think CS was intimating earlier that I was already ston... never mind.

Yes, I got that, I was just trying to get into the same spirit of weirdness that your post had... ;-)

D

Phil Bloom January 9th, 2009 02:24 AM

yeah it's dual voltage and it's going to be shipped back to B and H for repair. What a pain!

Daniel Epstein January 9th, 2009 10:17 AM

There are a couple of places which do warranty repair for Kino. At least one in NY and of course back at Headquarters on CA. I would just ask for a new replacement one if it did this on the first shoot. Also did they say how long it would take to get this one back. This is one reason it is sometime nice to buy locally as they could probably get you a loaner. Good Luck