DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Arri Seeks Adventure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/22121-arri-seeks-adventure.html)

Barry Rivadue February 28th, 2004 07:52 PM

Arri Seeks Adventure

I have a 300w Arri that I haven't been using that much, and I think I can probably enhance its use with a softbox. I know it's probably a familiar question, but has anyone used the Photoflex Cinedome in a versatile way? I usually do tight one-to-one interviews, but am interested in lighting maybe half a room too. I guess I've been getting too used to the Tota & umbrella approach and would like a bit more creative manipulation by emphasizing the Arri's light through a softbox and perhaps grids, etc. Any thoughts?

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2004 10:58 PM

Barry,
I'm not exactly clear on what you're asking, but I think you're asking for "101 Things Tou Van Do with a 300w Fresnel"?

Well, for starters, putting any instrument inside a soft box is somewhat akin to dating <name a gorgeous female here> with her wearing a veil. That is, inside the box they all look the same, some brighter some dimmer. I'd be far more inclined to put that Tota in a softbox where, frankly, it's most effective.

That Arri fresnel is a very flexible instrument...like the Ginsu knives! For starters, you can
  • point-and-focus directly at a subject
  • bang it at backs for hairlight
  • scrim to taste
  • bang it off of a reflector for a soft light
  • blow it through a pattern (ex: a cookie or cukuloris) for interesting light/shadow effects
And there's more!

Anything goes with a good fresnel! Just let your inhibitions go. All that matters is what the frame looks like! (Can you tell that I've just spent 4 hours wrangling 3 Arri fresnels on a shoot?)

If you get a softbox, like a Photoflex, -do- spring for a grid for it. It makes a world of difference for controlling the spray.

Barry Rivadue February 28th, 2004 11:03 PM

Ah! That's what I was wondering--how about those egg crate things? Are they the most useful? I think it's patterned effects I'm rather thinking of, ultimately.

I'd have been fascinated seeing you corral those wild Arris. :)

Ken Tanaka February 28th, 2004 11:11 PM

My reference to "grid", above, is the same as "egg crate". They are an essential accesory for a soft box.

There are pre-made "window" patterns useful to background lighting. They're pretty pricey but well made. You can, with some time and skill, make your own.

Ken Tanaka February 29th, 2004 12:13 AM

Addendum

Barry,
Before you "free your inhibitions" too much, I must offer one warning. Keep the instrument in an upright position. Certainly, you can tilt it freely. But I do not recommend hanging it straight down or pointing it straight up or turning it upside-down for any length of time. The instrument's passive heat dissipation system is actually quite sophisticated and can be defeated by such positioning, potentially leading to a dangerous and/or costly failure.

Barry Rivadue February 29th, 2004 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice--I am not yet one to put any lights into any position other than upright--my more uninhibited impulses are actually confined to the editing table. :)

I'm very interested in the egg crate/grid possibilities for a softbox; I imagine that medium-to large softboxes offer a more pleasing canvas, so to speak, to work on?

Ken Tanaka February 29th, 2004 12:29 PM

General Rule #235: The larger the light source, the softer the light.

Practical translation: The larger the soft box the softer the light. The face area of the box represents the effective size of the light source.

Richard Veil March 1st, 2004 08:57 PM

If you want....

Item 8000 Chimera

24x32 bank\
40 degree grids
500 watt light that goes 1k
Avenger 10 ft stand
Carry bag

for around $530

A great deal
Drop shipped from a dealer with no tax

peace

John Locke March 1st, 2004 09:15 PM

Barry,

These guys make an interesting assortment of cucolori.

Allen Brodsky March 1st, 2004 09:24 PM

Chimera 8000 kit

I recently bought the Chimera 8000 softbox kit from B&H, and am pleased with it. Setup is fairly easy and it casts a nice light on interviewees, and the resulting video looks great. You might want to consider this softbox (with a speedring) for you Arri.

Richard Veil March 1st, 2004 09:29 PM

Hey bro.. I grew up in Cherry Hill

I am glad you like the kit..

drop me an email if you get a chance..

Thanks for buying Chimera and I am glad you like the kit.
I can help you get a 1k bulb if you need one.

peace

Barry Rivadue March 2nd, 2004 03:39 PM

Thanks John.....interesting textures alright.