DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Can you build on the JTL Everlight kit? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/23798-can-you-build-jtl-everlight-kit.html)

Philip Boyer March 30th, 2004 11:22 AM

Can you build on the JTL Everlight kit?

Let's say that you bought the JTL Everlight kit so you could learn and practice with lighting and possibly work on a no-budget project or two.

When it's time to move on to better and more expensive lighting (such as an Arri kit), would you still have a need for the JTLs? Or, would rarely, if ever, use them once you've upgraded?

Thanks

Imran Zaidi March 30th, 2004 12:10 PM

Sure, why not? If you liked and found use for the JTL soft boxes, then you can use them as much as you'd like, whenever you'd like, and with whatever other lights you like.

Doesn't really matter if you're talking about this light kit or some other light kit. It can never hurt to have more lighting in your bag of tricks.

Barry Gribble April 12th, 2004 01:06 PM

JTL Everlight Bulbs

All,

I have two JTL Everlight softboxes and I have a few bulb questions...

1. Where can you order replacement bulbs? Time is of the essence :).

2. Mine shipped with 500W bulbs, and on the back they list part numbers for a variety of wattage bulbs... but the 1000W is crossed out (I assumed by the distributor)... can these units handle 1000W? I'd love it if they could.

3. How do you guys transport your bulbs? Are there cases for that? I want to get a pelican case or something, but worry about melting the foam if the bulbs are still warm... right now I am just putting them in their boxes and into my bag... not working so well (see #1).

Thanks in advace.

Wayne Orr April 12th, 2004 01:58 PM

Hi Barry. I am going to give you a very good post from Will Fastie about the bulbs, but first; the one thousand watt bulbs are not doable. They are too hot for the softbox and will trip the breaker. You can use a 750 watt bulb, if you peel back the top of the soft box a bit extra to allow the heat to escape. No biggie, but this is definitely one of the limitations of this kit, allow it has not been a problem for me, or any of the posters I have read. I would also appreciate hearing from you here, or e-mail me direct with your reaction to the kit. Now, here is Will's post:

In previous posts in this thread, we have discussed the color temperature of the bulbs supplied with the JTL Everlight kit. I want to provide an update and recommendation.

The kit as purchased came with EHD 500W bulbs at 3000K. As previously stated, this was close enough to 3200K that the white balance feature of the camcorder produced an appropriate image. Had I planned to use the lights solely for video work, I would have put the issue to bed.

However, I also do some still work. Here I found the white balance problem more severe. No matter what I did, and I tried several digital cameras, the photos always looked better after some adjustment with Photoshop. Because of this, I decided to buy some 3200K bulbs and see what kind of difference they made.

I bought two FLK 575W bulbs from Production Advantage, a source often mentioned here, for $15 each, about $1 more than the EHD.

The difference between the EHD and FLK was immediately apparent in my first application, a recent shoot indoors with sunlight coming in through a window. I first tried to light with the EHD bulbs, one key and one fill, but discovered that the sunlight was casting blue light on one cheek of my subject while the key light was casting red light on the other cheek. Obviously, there was no way to balance this with the cam, so I needed an alternate solution. After some experimentation, I obtained the best shot with an FLK-equipped light as the key.

Certainly the difference between 3000K and 3200K contributed somewhat to the better lighting. However, the FLK lamp put out quite a bit more light, much more than I would have expected for just a 75W difference in power consumption. This helped to balance the sunlight and create a more natural appearance for the subject.

Upon further examination, I discovered that the EHD lamps are rated for 10600 lumens while the FLK lamps emit 16500 lumens. That's over 50% more light for just 15% more power. There is a downside, of course; the EHD bulbs have a life of 2000 hours, the FLK just 300.

I have some further experiments to do with the still camera, but I'm convinced. I plan to use the FLK bulbs regularly, using the EHDs only for situations in which less or softer light is desirable.

We have also discussed whether the Everlight softboxes are up to higher-wattage lamps. I used the FLK for hours at a time. The lights operated constantly. They were certainly hotter than the EHD, but not so hot to cause a problem.

My recommendation is to specify lamps other than the EHD when purchasing the Everlight kit, even if it raises the price a few bucks.

Barry Gribble April 12th, 2004 02:35 PM

Wayne,

Thanks for the post... I am ordering those bulbs....

In general I have been very happy with the boxes.. the are quick to set up, light to carry, provide good covereage...etc... I got the pack with 2 softboxes and an umbrella, and I have never used the umbrella... though I have used that 1000W light to back light a scrim... I am thinking of getting more softboxes...

One interesting note... the very first time I used them on location I was just going around the corner so I left them asembled and took them in the car... well, it seems something came a bit loose... we had been powered up for a bit and my DP adjusted a light... one of the poles (?) came loose and the box collapsed on to the hot bulb and instantly caught fire... ouch... that it happened two feet below the ceiling and three feet above a ten thousand dollar wooden marimba didn't make the scene any less stressful... a bit of calm quick action doused it and I am left with a fifth vent hole on one of my boxes...

Lesssons learned: I always assemble the boxes on site, and I always bring a fire extinguisher.

(reactions anticipated: "and this from the man who wants to put in 1000W bulbs? " hehe)

Wayne Orr April 12th, 2004 08:33 PM

Whoa, Barry! I guess that's one story I won't be repeating, although it is a good warning. Glad it worked out alright.

Chris L. Gray September 19th, 2004 12:39 PM

JTL Everlight Softbox Egg Crate suggestions?

Hey there,

I did a few searches through archives and saw plenty of discussion about whether to go with this kit or not, but not much discussion about egg crate options for those who did in fact buy one.

I've used my kit in an interview situation and am satisfied, but am wondering what my egg crate and louver options are. The kit comes with 24"x24" softboxes, but I wonder if I can use any egg crates with it or only the ones made by JTL.

For example, could I use the Kino options listed here?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ps&sq=asc&pn=2

Thanks.

Wayne Orr September 19th, 2004 03:47 PM

I don't think the Kino Flo egg crates will give you the desired effect, Chris, but you might try it, since the price is so low. Please let us know how it works out if you do try the Kino crates. I would guess you would get the 2 ft version. And B&H is so good about returns, I'm sure you could get your money back if it doesn't work out.

Here is a link to a company that is selling the JTL line, including the fabric egg crate, which runs a considerably more expensive $87.00 versus under twenty for the Kino, but actually less expensive than those egg crates made for Chimera and Photo Flex. I have not used the JTL egg crates, but they should be fine for their purpose. http://www.photography-lighting.com/softboxes.html
Go to the bottom of the page for the egg crates and louvres.

I have a set of the JTL louvres, and while they do the job, they are clumsy to work with, and I can't say I am enthusiastic about them. Especially for the $42.00 price.

Wayne Orr, SOC (which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year)

Mike Cook September 21st, 2004 06:01 AM

Or.......If you are not deathly afraid of a sewing machine, you can make 'em.

I picked up a roll (huge) of 21/2 inch webbing tape at a discount fabric supply (that's what they use) for about 6 bucks. Use a hot knife (soldering iron with a filed down tip) to cut it all up, and start sewing. It all took about 4 hours.

If you are interested I can post some details and pics. It works great on my JTL's.

Cheers

Mike

Jeffrey Levenstone January 7th, 2005 04:50 PM

JTL kit Price

Why is the price of the jtl kit 1500 so different from one dealer to the other.

Wayne Orr January 7th, 2005 09:08 PM

The price should be around $500.00. Anything dramatically less should set off a red flag. Anything much more, and you are spending your money unnecessarily.

Here is a dealer that has posted here and elsewhere: http://www.photography-lighting.com/JTL-Everlights-Lighting.html

Wayne Orr, SOC

Jeffrey Levenstone January 8th, 2005 06:27 AM

JTL corp priced at $650

Hey Wayne

JTLcorp.com told me it would cost 650 dollars for a version that works on 240 v for here in holland. Does that sound right and would i be better of buying a transformer that could do the job.

thanks in advance,
Jeffrey Levenstone

Greg Boston January 8th, 2005 06:40 AM

Re: JTL corp priced at $650

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeffrey Levenstone : Hey Wayne

JTLcorp.com told me it would cost 650 dollars for a version that works on 240 v for here in holland. Does that sound right and would i be better of buying a transformer that could do the job.

thanks in advance,
Jeffrey Levenstone -->>>

Although the xformer would get the voltage right, the line freqency would be 50hz and the lamps wouldn't achieve their rated output. When I visited Holland, my razor was plugged into the travel adaptor and it ran slower because of the 50hz line frequency even though the voltage was stepped down properly to 120v. This would affect any cooling fan motors that might be incorporated into the light housing. All those components have to be switched out.

Good luck,

=gb=

Carlos E. Martinez January 8th, 2005 08:17 AM

Re: Re: JTL corp priced at $650

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston :
Although the xformer would get the voltage right, the line freqency would be 50hz and the lamps wouldn't achieve their rated output. When I visited Holland, my razor was plugged into the travel adaptor and it ran slower because of the 50hz line frequency even though the voltage was stepped down properly to 120v. This would affect any cooling fan motors that might be incorporated into the light housing. All those components have to be switched out.-->>>

Sorry to correct you Greg, but there wouldn't be any problem in using incandescent lights in a 50Hz country. As long as the voltage is right.

You are right in saying you had a problem with your razor, which is probably AC frequency dependent.

The fan motors would probably run at less speed, but they should still cool down, probably doing less noise too.

The best way to do it is using 240 lamps though, as transformers are quite inefficient and can get noisy as well as hot.

Carlos

Jeffrey Levenstone January 8th, 2005 08:23 AM

The price

Does the price that jtlcorp want to sell me at is this correct.