DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/24232-lighting.html)

Ron Jones April 7th, 2004 07:31 AM

lighting

Need some advice on what lighting to purchase.
I will be filming mostly authors talking about their books. Mostly inside, (may need to travel to authors location).
What to keep it simple, in budget. Since I am new at this all sugestions will be apprecihated.

Ron

PS. Is there a spell check on this site?

Aaron Koolen April 7th, 2004 02:40 PM

Ron, your best bet is to do a search as the topic of lighting interviews has been bought up a lot of times.

Also, what is your budget? That will influence the decision a lot.

Aaron

Richard Veil April 12th, 2004 10:19 AM

There a lots of options..

I would look at my posts..

Lots of people like the Chimera 8000 Lightbank kit and a reflector.

Let me know if I can help

Richard

Ron Jones April 12th, 2004 11:26 AM

Lighting

Thanks for your help.
To keep it simple, my thought was to have one key light and use reflectors to bounce light around. I also read somewheres that a sheet of polystyrene foam could be used in place of a lastolite reflector. But, I am new at this.
What do you think?

RON

Richard Veil April 12th, 2004 01:49 PM

Yea... bounce

Yea you can use any kind of white card or foam core.. the lastolite can fold down to easy transport.

Let me know if I can help
r

Ron Jones April 12th, 2004 02:02 PM

Thanks, Richard

Ron

Richard Veil April 12th, 2004 03:10 PM

This is what I think

Like I said lots of choices.. Chimera.. who I work for makes a nice kit that would work great for you.
Item 8000 for around $540 at retailers
Has a 500 watt light that goes to 1000, Avenger stand, 24x32 light bank and 40 degee grids to control the light.. keep it off backgrounds ect..
Oh and a carry bag.
The Chimera kit is around the same price as lesser quality kits and the Bank is the best you can get.
Add a Lastolight and another stand with a reflector holder and you have a great setup that you can add to and use for many many years.
A hair light would be great too. Maybe an Omni with a snoot or a Mole or Arri Fresnel.
Peace
Email if you need too.
r

Bryan Beasleigh April 12th, 2004 05:05 PM

Richard
Is the Chimira gear fire proof or fire resistant. What will happen if the fabric touches a lamp?

Michael Richard April 12th, 2004 06:39 PM

is that 8000 kit a complete standalone light setup or do you need to add an open face or fresnel to the kit components

Richard Veil April 12th, 2004 07:05 PM

answers

Well the kit is stand alone.. The banks are fire resistant but nothing is fireproof and the baffle and front face are fire resistant.
All the movie houses use them because they hold up and last for years.

r

Joe Collins April 12th, 2004 09:50 PM

I just purchased and received the Chimera 8000 kit and I heartily recommend it. It is well made and throws a beautiful wrap around light. It is super easy and fast to set up/tear down.

I dabble in still photography as well as video and I just did some portraits for a friend of mine, lit with just the Chimera kit and a bounce. They are the nicest looking portraits I have done for anyone.

There are cheaper kits out there but I believe you get what you pay for. I had a small problem with the kit and Chimera (Richard) resolved it for me quickly, no questions asked. They have fantastic customer service.

Jim Sofranko April 13th, 2004 03:46 PM

Another consideration may be the Photoflex Starlight. It seems similar to the Chimera but has a few more accessories for the money. Here's a link to the B&H page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=280002&is=REG

I recently purchased one for interviews and love it. It has good integrity in terms of construction and materials. All of these type of lights usually have a sweet spot for positioning relative to the subject and location.

Of course, I have no affiliation with anyone (other than my family and friends!)