DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Reflectors, Diffusors etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/3375-reflectors-diffusors-etc.html)

MakingMagic August 25th, 2002 01:59 PM

Reflectors, Diffusors etc.

I would like to make my own, or buy some inexpensive cookies. Any ideas on how to make your own, that are effective?

I've thought about the white foam board, but its not giving me what I want. Anyone know where I can get some good reflectors or diffusors?

Thanks

Nick

Jeff Donald August 26th, 2002 05:59 AM

What type of subjects are you shooting and what type of light are you trying to get? Foamcore works as a bounce card and will soften some depending on the distance from the subject and the light source. go to a couple of camera stores and check out the soft boxes and fabric reflectors and diffusers. You might get some ideas that way. One of my students showed me a book recently about do-it-yourself lighting. Sorry, I don't remember the title. One of my favorite reflectors is a five in one circular, collapsable ring (looks like a protector for the windshield of your car). It has zippered sleeves that change the color, reflectivity of the light. A great deal can be done just by changing the distance from the subject to the light. Lighting needs experimentation and review. Hook your camera up to a monitor and start shooting.

Jeff

Wayde Gardner August 27th, 2002 01:06 PM

Disposable/cheap reflectors...

Well, I've used reflectors intended for use in your car windshield. Some come with a highly reflective foil side with a duller silver side, while others come tinted gold and even blue.

I bought mine at Pep Boys for 7.00 (contains two pieces roughly 18x24 rectangle. As far as a difussing mechanism, I keep a roll of 110pt drawing velum to knock back the light. I'm sure others have similar rigs.

WG

Guest August 29th, 2002 08:48 AM

diffusion

Go to the wax paper isle at the supermarket and pick up a roll of baking parchment. The stuff is a wonderful diffuser and since it's made to be used in the oven, it takes the heat well.

Barry Goyette August 29th, 2002 11:49 AM

Nick

My favorite cheap diffusion material is shower curtain liner that I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond.(I cant remember the brand name...but I think it's got "guaranteed not to mildew" on the package)...anyway its a heavyweight embossed pvc that is actually relatively clear. I use it stretched in a 4x6ft frame (1x2 wood strips). Its great for diffusing sunlight on the subject without looking too diffused..and it its clarity keeps the light level about the same as the ambient light. costs about 18 bucks.

Another option to foamcore is Gatorfoam. It's slightly heavier, but much stiffer, and overall alot more durable. I keep both black and white sheets in stock as I find that often on our foggy california days, a little subtraction is more important than fill.

Barry

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2002 08:35 PM

Great tips, Barry... next time the wife drags me into B,B&B I'll look at it in a whole new way!

Justin Chin August 30th, 2002 12:46 AM

I generally use standard lee or roscoe diffusion that come in 4x4 sheets. This is how I handle all my color correction or cookies. It's just much easier to talk to a gaffer or DP with the standard stuff.

"1/4 dif on that baby."

"1/4 blue on that junior."

"silver board bounce as a kick on her hair."

The diffusion and gel sheets are only 5 bucks a pop and last a long time if you just clip the sheet onto the barn doors with c-47s. Once you start putting them any closer to the globe you're going to fade and or degrade them.

Charles Papert August 30th, 2002 01:33 AM

What are you using as your "standard" diffusion, Justin?

The old standbys were 216, 250 and 251 which is pretty interchangeable with Opal--I've become more enamored by light and full gridcloth in recent years.

They are great mounted to open 4x4 frames so that you can move them a distance away from the fixture, allowing for a more even spread across the whole diffusion. It can be handy to double them up also, using a light diffusion frame a couple of feet away followed by a heavier one another couple of feet further will create a big diffuse source.

Justin Chin August 30th, 2002 02:09 AM

I use 216 and 250 mostly and I should say that I generally use 21"xz24" sheets. I do have a couple of 18x24 frames that I c-47 my gels or diffusion to. And yes, I have also used my 6x6 Wescott frame with a 1/4 silk with some lamps back behind it as well.

Yeah, I really need work on getting a van, than I can really stock up on some major frames and HMI's. Big soft sources is a must. Grid cloth and silk are a necessary part of the kit.

For exteriors I've also been framing up a double on the 6x6 and clamping it down behind an actor for close ups. It helps cut down a sunlit background.

Doug Quance October 31st, 2002 02:19 AM

I just bought my first set of lights... used, but decent.

Three 600w on stands with barndoors. I also bought a set of Rosco gels. I've never used lighting before (well, in a professional sense) and would really like to see some photographs of some of these different setups that you guys have bought/built.

I feel like such a Noob. I even bought the maple clothes pins for the gels, but really don't know the proper way to attach them to the barndoors without screwing them up.

I didn't get any diffusers yet, and I like the idea of framing up a diffuser... but what do you use to hold it in place in front of a fixture?

Once again, pictures would be worth thousands of words.

Thanks!

Bryan Beasleigh October 31st, 2002 05:12 PM

Plasticore which is corregated plastic is a tad cheaper than foamcore and can be wiped clean. You can but through one side of the outer skin to hinge it. Plasticire is available at graphics supply houses and id used for outdoor signs. I paid $10 Canadian for white.

The foamcore "forks" or holders will stick into the edges of the plasticore.

Doug Quance October 31st, 2002 06:49 PM

Thanks, Brian...

I get the idea on that plasticore stuff.... we use similar stuff for little directional signs in real estate.

And I follow the concept of the "forks" that hold it through the corrugated center.

I guess I could figure a way to mount the forks on some sort of a holder...

I'd still love to see some pictures of this kind of stuff...

Thanks again!

Bryan Beasleigh November 1st, 2002 11:54 PM

Several manufacturers sell forks in various designs.. Manfrotto, tre D, come to mind

Doug Quance November 2nd, 2002 11:32 AM

I'll look into that...

Thanks again, Brian