DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   96 led light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/479925-96-led-light.html)

Taky Cheung August 13th, 2010 11:11 PM

with which battery?

Bryan McCullough August 14th, 2010 10:00 AM

The NP-F570.

Ian Holb August 14th, 2010 10:28 AM

I received two of the Z96 yesterday and I love them!

The manual says you should not combine more than 3 x 3 (9 units) for stability reasons. I am thinking of building a light box out of at least 6 units (3 x 2) and I am wondering what sort of AC adapter or batteries I need to run in the DC plug with six plug splitters. Do they make them, or do I need to roll my own? I could use regular AAs or 570s to power all six Z96s but then the unit gets too heavy.

Michael Liebergot August 14th, 2010 09:22 PM

I don't know how long you're planning to run them in an array.
But a colleague of mine informed me the other day that the lights themselves do run hot. Which worried him a bit.

It's not that the bulbs ran hot but he lights themselves are generating heat from somewhere. So be careful when sing these for long runtimes.

Bryan McCullough August 14th, 2010 10:09 PM

Why mess with putting 6 together? Just buy a 600 LED light. Would be cheaper, easier to deal with, require less power, etc. I don't see the upside to using 6 96s.

Marcus Marchesseault August 15th, 2010 06:38 AM

A 600-led will also be cheaper...

Bryan McCullough August 15th, 2010 08:43 AM

I did mention that. ;)

Nicholas de Kock August 15th, 2010 01:32 PM

Ordered two Z96's from China, hoping they arrive...

Evan Estern August 19th, 2010 12:10 PM

Anyone shot tests with 600 LED light? What did you think? I've been looking at Litepanels and Kelvin Tiles, these are so much cheaper. What are the power options that come with the 600?

Thanks,

Evan

Tim Kay August 19th, 2010 12:49 PM

Was also wonder if any tried the Comer like 1800's ? I saw the one review saying they returned it but anyone else give it a try ?

Kevin Wayne Jones August 22nd, 2010 10:05 AM

Z96 Works Great!

Ordered a Z96 kit off of ebay from China. Took about 10 days to get here. Arrived in excellent shape.
Powered up - works great. Very bright!
A few items of interest.

- The Z96 is all plastic, but looks and feels well made.
- The hot shoe adaptor is also plastic, but works well also.
-The magnets on the filters are VERY strong - hold tight - nice!
- In AA battery mode you need to be sure to alternate the direction of the batteries to work properly. Follow the diagram molded into the chamber.
- In L battery mode, the AA battery door has to be open for the L battery to slide on properly - Works great also!
- On mine the dimmer works fine with NO hum at all. Also functions as the on/off switch. Smooth turning.

I will need to devise some sort of storage case for it so it can be properly stored in my camera case.
If anybody has a good idea I would like to hear.

Thanks!

Kevin Jones

Tom Hardwick August 22nd, 2010 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the 126 LED light and boy, I can't complain at the Chinese price. But I'm going to complain anyway just so I can say you've been warned. Like others here I found that I simply couldn't tighten up the foot on its movable arm (very easy to modify with another bracket) and the diffuser kept slipping out of the guide slots so I've had to work on that too.

And then without warning the diffuser cracked. Doesn't affect it diffusing capabilities, but it does point the finger at the fragility of the whole (plastic) thing. Bin the orange filter - China must be working on a different Kelvin scale to us lot. Works beautifully with the NPF-570, over two hours of cool, clear light. No home should be without one, and I'm ordering the 160 light because I don't like the 'missing' LEDs in the four corners of the 126 lamp. Fussy, huh?

BTW, the coverage is the same in portrait or landscape mode - I've tested it.

tom.

Bryan McCullough August 22nd, 2010 10:43 PM

I've shot for a few weeks now with two 96s and one 600. I could not be more pleased.

Ian Holb August 23rd, 2010 12:04 AM

I did a time test with the Z96. On Eneloop power at the lowest setting, the Z96 gets over 80 hours continuous. I think the Z96 would make a great light in camping tents. On four hours a night, it can last nearly 3 weeks. Full power, the Eneloops provide about 80-90 minutes.

Mark Wheeler August 24th, 2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough (Post 1559188)
Why mess with putting 6 together? Just buy a 600 LED light. Would be cheaper, easier to deal with, require less power, etc. I don't see the upside to using 6 96s.

If you're working under the misapprehension that a LED is a LED is a LED then you'd be right. Why bother? But LED functionality is all over the map and perhaps (I most certainly do not know) the LEDs used in the 600up light are less powerful (individually) then the LEDs used in the 96up light.

For what it's worth.