DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Case for Coollights 600 LED

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502683-REG/Matthews_B387486_Reverse_Stand_7.html22.75" long

Not the most steady stand nor the tallest but they get the job done for interviews.

I use a single small Chimera and no, it does not fit into the Pelican. I throw it in my second back with some clothes and the tripod.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Dan,

Thanks for the link! Do you know which model number Storm case you have? I am looking at the iM2875 which costs more than the Pelican 1610, but seems to have a little more room inside.

Thanks,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #18
Major Player

I'm a HUGE fan of Pelican/Nanuck hard cases for everything I can possibly pack them with.
I travel quite a bit, and having spent 36 years in the aviation business, I know how hard baggage handlers treat things, so more protection is better.

I have dedicated cases for cameras and lenses, one for audio, and a larger case for lights that I travel with. A good set of padlocks of course is mandatory. Those cases are tough...A couple of years ago I watched in horror from my seat on the airplane as one of my camera cases ( with about $6,000 worth of equipment in it) slid off the side of the belt loader just beore it reached the door of the baggage hold and fell almost 8 feet onto concrete. It was then, picked up and thrown into the hold.

When I got to my destination, I was almost sick when I retrieved the case...it was scraped, dirty, gouged on the end...but the camera and lenses were completely unharmed.

Since then, I've never had any qualms about checking my gear. I NEVER label it as fragile, or as camera equipment ( there ARE a small, but very real percentage of bag handlers that view those labels as a challenge to overcome...they are frequently subjected to more abuse because of the labeling....)

the larger cases are expensive, but your gear is worth a lot more. I think overall they are a great investment to protect your investment
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel:

No, I don't know the model number. I bought this case three or four years ago but I would lean toward larger anyway. Besides the lights and stands, I stuff in some Mafer clamps, clothespins, a piece of Duvetine, cinefoil, and lots of other little bits of gear, the idea is to make sure that nothing moves or rattles around in the case.

I have another huge Storm case that carries two of my Kino Diva 200s, it has been shipped to the east coast many times and have never broken a tube.

Thumbs up for the Storms.

Dan
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Caputo View Post
Daniel, if you're ever in the Tampa area, you're more than welcome to swing by my offices and check out my lights. I have two 600 spots, two 600 floods and a 256.
Lou ... just adding an LED256 to my 2 LED600s ... have you used the 256 as a rim light? Just curious how you've coupled it with your others.

Thanks! --Brandon
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Trustee

As a general add-on to this thread...

Increasingly, the key factor in traveling with gear is less that of protection and more that of WEIGHT.

Currently (as of late March 2011) I've been hit on four of the last six legs of my out of town shoots with airlines wanting to charge me between $50 and $125 for a single overweight bag. The weight limit is typically 50lbs.

Weigh your Pelican style hard cases and you'll find that often, you're STARTING OUT with a full third to half your weight allowance GONE before you put a single piece of gear inside.

Personally, I'm transitioning away from moulded plastic towards the "framed nylon" style cases like those from ThinkTank Photo for traveling rigs. (I'll keep the Pelican stuff for storage and around town travel.)

Just my 2 cents on the issue.
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Yep Bill. I have played the weight game for the past few years. I have it to an interview kit that fits in two cases in total and each case is 48lbs. I have to be careful about the amount of clothes, etc. that I stuff in the second case.

It also doesn't hurt to ask the airline if they have a media/news discount, sometimes they will actually waive the overweight bag fees or even give you a discount on them. I always ask, it varies from airline to airline and sometimes even from airport to airport. If you are nice to the people at the counter, they will often go out of their way to help you fly with gear.

Dan
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #23
Trustee

Everything that Dan said.

Plus, we all can help by carrying TIPPING money. Whenever an airline counter employee gives you a break and lets you shave a pound and/or skip a fee — or if an airport porter is available to help you with your gear — I highly encourage you to let them know that you appreciate their help with a generous tip.

This will help CONDITION them to look out for those of us with extra baggage, particularly media stuff like Pelican cases, Camera bags, Tripod cases, etc - and see us less as the ENEMY and more as a source of potential additional revenue if they make our lives easier.

Personally, I make it a point before I travel to put a small clip of ONES and FIVES in my right pocket and one of TENS and TWENTIES in my left pocket. Where I reach is directly proportional to the amount of assistance that I'm given. (I don't EXPECT any particular help, and I always pack as if I'm going to have to schlepp everything myself - but when I get extra assistance, I make it a point to compensate people for that consideration, that way, the next time they see one of us poor wretches moving through the airport dragging video production gear, maybe they'll hustle to help!

FWIW.
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Weigh your Pelican style hard cases and you'll find that often, you're STARTING OUT with a full third to half your weight allowance GONE before you put a single piece of gear inside. Personally, I'm transitioning away from moulded plastic towards the "framed nylon" style cases like those from ThinkTank Photo for traveling rigs. .
Totally agree. I've ditched my Pelican-style cases for semi-hard cases. You really have to do a cost benefit analysis. I can easily pay for occasional breakage with the amount I save on extra baggage. 3 trips would just about pay for a new Cool Lights fixture. I've gotten my travel package down to two bags, both less than 50 lbs. I use the PLPR-5 Petrol Light Bag. When I'm on site I can put everything including my tripod in it. When flying I put my tripod in a second bag to get weight below 50 lbs.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management