DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Microbeam 512 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/492167-microbeam-512-a.html)

Mark Slocombe February 23rd, 2011 12:02 PM

Microbeam 512

Is anybody using these for run and gun? Looks like a good light, reasonable cost - what's the build quality like?

MicroBeam 512 : High Powered LED Video Light - LED Lighting

Tom Bostick February 24th, 2011 02:27 AM

Re: Microbeam 512

looks pretty powerful ,im interested

Ian Planchon February 24th, 2011 10:36 AM

I have the 256 for my on camera light. I love it. really powerful for the size. way more powerful then the lite panels version.

I want to get one of these things. if its anything like the 256 it will be a great portable light.

Duncan Craig February 25th, 2011 05:44 AM

CL-LED600 600 LED Panel Dimmable - Cool Lights USA

Lighter, brighter and cheaper.
There's a 256 LED version too.

Richard, the owner of Coollights is a regular in the lighting forum here.

Mark Slocombe February 25th, 2011 06:16 AM

Cheers - will investigate. Do these kind of LED lights cast a shadow? I haven't see any in use yet, but am assuming they are soft like fluorescents - maybe I should not assume!

Duncan Craig February 25th, 2011 08:36 AM

They are a spotlight of sorts, so they cast a shadow, although the shadow has a grid like structure when used at certain close distances. Some mild diffusion often sorts this out.

Dano Motley February 25th, 2011 07:45 PM

bought two. the first one had daylight leds. when you put the incandesant filter in the light it gets cut way down. Best results were to order the light with the much brighter indoor leds and place and outdoor filter in when shooting outdoors. light works great and fills the 16x9 pefect.

Dano

Duncan Craig February 26th, 2011 04:49 AM

Nearly everyone will advise to buy the daylight version, and correct to tungsten when you need it.
If you are outside in in an internal daylight environment, like under fluorescents, you'll need bright source so the less filtering the better.

Adding CTO to my CL600 would still result in a usable light source, but I would probably break out some proper tungsten too. And generally when you're in a solely tungsten environment it will be much darker then any exterior.

Dano Motley February 26th, 2011 06:05 PM

i own both versions. the incandesant leds are brighter with the filter on then the actual daylight bulbs. maybe that is why the manufacturer says the bulbs are more expensive...who knows..

dano

Duncan Craig February 26th, 2011 06:27 PM

I guess you own both versions of the Microbeam?

Fair enough, but for Coollights at least the 5600k versions are much brighter than the 3200k. The specs are all there on the website.

It makes sense that you'd want more daylight output on any particular fixture, if you were trying to use it outside for example.