DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   On camera lighting for wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/497300-camera-lighting-wedding.html)

Fernando Kanano June 17th, 2011 12:48 AM

On camera lighting for wedding

Hello.

I was recently asked to shoot a wedding for a close friend. For such project, I'm in the look for a light I can mount on my Sony PMW-EX1, and that is battery powered. I'm asking for some recommendations because I haven't used an on camera light for ages, and I don't know what wedding videographers use these days. I started a search on B&H and was pretty lost, to be honest. I came across an Anton Bauer LED light, although it appears as I would have to purchase an 180-dollar battery?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646953-REG/Anton_Bauer_ELEDZ_EledZ_4_5W_On_Camera_LED.html
I also came across another thread here, which recommends a Corner 1800 light.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...-lighting.html

Would any of these lights work well on low-light situations, such as dance floor and other reception scenarios? I just mention these two lights because that's what I've come across with, but please feel free to recommend me any other lights that would do the job. My budget is around $500, so that should include the light and a few extra batteries.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Harding June 17th, 2011 03:00 AM

Re: On camera lighting for wedding

Hi Fernando

Last wedding season (2009/10) I used just a simple 126 LED light that will take either a Sony NP or Panasonic CGR camcorder battery and it worked beautifully. Just search for 126 LED light on eBay

This season (2010/11) I when one up to a 160 LED light that also has barn doors and uses the same batteries....Lights are cheap (the 160 LED one was about $70.00) and batteries are even cheaper (around $15)

Ok they are not Comer 1800's but so far no complaints at all and they have saved my bacon many times!!!

Chris

George Kilroy June 17th, 2011 04:48 AM

I second Chris's use of the 126 LED.
I bough a couple for less than £40 each. They use Sony or Panasonic camcorder batteries and even AA cells. Fresh AAs last for a couple of hours.
The colour is a little green but they came with a couple of filters and the magenta one seems to balance the green just fine. W/B on camera will rectify any slight colour anomaly.

Why pay more?

Buba Kastorski June 17th, 2011 08:13 AM

I also use them, but 160s, very good solution, dimmable, bright enough and NPF750 lasts me almost all day, they have a bit of a green cast, but for the price I can deal with that.

Dave Blackhurst June 17th, 2011 10:15 AM

Same here - the construction is pretty cheap, but the CN126 is a real bargain at around $40, and with the dimmer, it's ideal so you can only use as much light as needed. They have a CN160 of similar design, and there's the YN160 (about $65) with the barn doors and a 16 step dimmer rather than a continuous adjust dial.

I've got a spare YN160 that's on my "sell" list if you're interested, haven't gotten around to putting it on eBay... keep thinking I'll need to light up a house or elephant or something else big! These all have filters, and I've not had any real issues with color cast, my cameras seem to auto WB OK with them.

I'm wishing for something with 36-64 LEDs, use the small Sony FH battery and a dimmer - the big ones are almost overkill, but they do use any of the Sony batteries, which reduces the kit you have to drag around!

Warren Kawamoto June 17th, 2011 12:40 PM

I've tried LED lights, but wasn't happy with the greenish cast that's not correctable in post. I've gone back to tungsten! I'm using the Sony HVL-20DW2. Cost is about $50. Color looks great again!

Chris Harding June 18th, 2011 12:21 AM

On the YN160 the barn doors are useful and my Panasonics auto balance the light pretty easily too...however I find that it's quicker to zoom in to a white tablecloth (or the bride's dress) and my HMC's will correct within seconds....funny you talk about green casts?? My tend to gravitate more towards blue if I have to do a quick cutaway during speeches and there isn't enough time for the WB to correct the shot...in post colour correct works well too!!

I'm using my older camera's (about 3 years back) Panasonic CGR batteries and on the 160 a 2650mah battery (under $15 delivered) lasts me all night too ++++ ... The battery slots for AA or rechargeables seem a bit flimsy so I went with the cam batteries.

The only issue I had with the YN-160 was that the cold shoe mount was garbage...I took it off and replaced it with a mini ballhead that has a cold shoe mount on the bottom ..it's tough as nails now!!!

Chris

Don Bloom June 18th, 2011 04:59 AM

With LEDs I found the best thing to do to kill off any color cast (in my case with the LP Micro it was slightly blue which stands to reason with the 5600K bulbs) is to use 1) the diffusion that comes with the light and 2) the 1/4 CTO filter that comes with the light. Yes it cut's the net effective power and range a bit but I really like the warmer tone the light gives off. I prefer a slightly warmer tone anyway and now the light is also a bit softer and not quite as "blinding" as a naked LED.

Chris Harding June 18th, 2011 06:05 AM

That's a good idea Don

I do get some people who make comments about the light "Do you supply welding helmets for us???"

I use a "diffuse" filter in mine allthe time but maybe the amber filter would also keep my guests quiet as well???

Chris

Randy Johnson June 18th, 2011 08:11 PM

I shot a job tonight with the varizoom light it was a early job with a lot of window light but it got darker as the night went on. It gave me enough light but I couldnt use any filters. I think the Comer 1800 would be better.

Gary Nattrass June 21st, 2011 01:48 AM

I just did some tests on a £30 LED light and found that a LEE 188 cosmetic highlight filter worked better than a 1/4 CTO, have a look at this thread on DV doctor there are some pics at the end: These seem a bargain - DVdoctor.community

Daniel Trout June 22nd, 2011 01:11 AM

I really dislike "on camera" lighting in general.

But a few months ago, I picked up a RotoLight for my HM700, and I've been pretty darn impressed with it.

Price is right too...

Rotolight - Home

All the best, and good luck!

Kyle Root June 22nd, 2011 01:28 PM

I have been more than Happy with my Sony on camera light that I got from BH. It's 20W and uses the same battery as my Nx5. I posted a Vimeo video online with it. It makes a tremduoud difference.

I shot a wedding reception a few weeks ago in a virtually dark country club setting and it was a great thing to have. Otherwise, you would not have been able to see anyone at all!

the light was about $80, but I think the price actually went closer to $100 after I got mine...

Fernando Kanano June 22nd, 2011 06:05 PM

You guys are awesome. It's great to see there are good and affordable options out there for on camera lighting. I just need to decide what I'll be getting for this project. I'm leaning towards getting the YN160, but I'm also still considering the HVl-20DW2. At this point the Comer 1800 is still nice, but way too expensive compared with the other options you guys have mentioned. I don't see the point of spending that much for something I won't use often.

I just want to thank you all for your input and your reference links. You've all been really helpful. Thank you so much.

Cheers.

Jay Knobbe June 22nd, 2011 07:09 PM

I'm trying to figure out how I would mount either the YN160 or the CN126 plus my Rode mic on the camera. The dimesions of 160mmx116mm (6.3"x4.5") are pretty large to mount on a camera with a mic.

I have a Y adapter to attach to the camera hot shoe to allow for a mic and a Sony 10/20w light but it doesn't even come close to allowing enough space to mount this light and my mic.

Ideas?

And do they give off any noise that could be picked up by the mic?