DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   What do you think? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/501070-what-do-you-think.html)

Ollie Walton September 26th, 2011 06:12 PM

What do you think?

Has anybody used these or what do people think of these.

Thanks

2400w red head redhead Continuous lighting light kit uk | eBay

Ollie :)

Ken Plotin September 26th, 2011 10:03 PM

Re: What do you think?

Ollie,
That's about $350US for 3 focusing open face lights, stands,barn doors and case without bulbs. Add $45 for globes. That's about 5 single rental days for the kit. If you use them regularly and if they are a decent build quality, your ahead of the game even if they only last 6 months. I'm assuming they're the "fiberglass/nylon" type housings that dissipate heat quickly like the originals of yesteryear.
Just my 2 pence.
Ken

Allan Black September 26th, 2011 11:21 PM

Looks exactly like the kit of 3 Chinese Redheads I bought from a local outlet here.

Redhead Continuous Production Lighting Kit

If so they're Ok for prosumer use eg: weddings etc. but not everyday continuous use, they have aluminium housings and put out a good enough even light. They have a front mesh in case the glass shatters but you need gloves because they get as hot as hades. The stands are stable enough but not with kids around ..

BUT! BUT! we paid $A999 which currently converts to 631.67 British Pounds.

You pay 195.95 THAT'S APPROX ONE THIRD!! INCL FREIGHT!! Good grief! it would have been way cheaper to get you to buy 2 sets and flog one to us for about 300BP, we pay freight.

Another problem I found was the supplied globes, one lasted about 30mins, I took it back for a replacement .. no wonder they didn't hesitate, smiled and ran around the place.

Cheers.

Oren Arieli September 27th, 2011 12:01 AM

Penny wise and pound foolish is the term that often comes to mind with some bargain priced items. I say it all depends on how often and for what purpose you plan to use these instruments. I've had good lighting gear outlast just about everything except microphones. I've also had some cheap gear that made me regret the purchase regardless of how much I saved.
For a really good lighting setup, it's all about controlling the spill and modifying the spread. That's hard to do without a good system like Lowel, Arri or Photoflex. If you're doing corporate gigs, interviews, and documentaries, then I recommend purchasing good equipment, even if it has to be piecemeal. A softbox with grid, small and large fresnel and some decent quality stands are essential for the look I like to achieve. But they aren't budget friendly if you're only using them a handful of times.
I recommend checking out Jay Holben's DIY budget lighting book "A Shot in the Dark" for creative solutions.

Gary Nattrass September 27th, 2011 07:55 AM

They are Ok and great value as a starter set of redheads, a good friend bought some and they work well but you have to be aware that they can get very hot as they are metal bodied and as said elsewhere invest in some osram or proper bubbles and the chinese ones don't last very long.

They are Uk wired so no worries there and the stands and case will be Ok for most light semi pro use, I had two chinese redheads and they worked fine although they smelt a bit as the paint burned due to the heat, I now have the safer fibre glass proper ones but these should be OK as your starter set.