DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Does anyone here have experience with Sabre LED's? Are they worth the money? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/509999-does-anyone-here-have-experience-sabre-leds-they-worth-money.html)

Noam Osband August 14th, 2012 10:49 AM

Does anyone here have experience with Sabre LED's? Are they worth the money?

I'm looking into two portable LED lights to use for lighting for a project where I'll be traveling a lot. I dont mind paying more for durability and quality. To that end, I'm considering buying these: Sabre Pro Lighting Solutions - Home

Anyone have experience with these lights? They are pricey but the specs look great and the only online reviews I've read have been very positive.

D.J. Ammons August 14th, 2012 04:51 PM

Re: Does anyone here have experience with Sabre LED's? Are they worth the money?

Very interesting reading. I had never heard of these before. However the price difference is so much I could not justify this over my $70 Z96 LED lights. They have worked wonderfully for me and I love the magnetic diffusion and orange gel filters.

Noam Osband August 15th, 2012 11:40 AM

Re: Does anyone here have experience with Sabre LED's? Are they worth the money?

Do you by any chance know the CRI number for the Z96's?

Arthur Gannis August 16th, 2012 03:01 PM

The Sabre led units are in my opinion, the most rugged units anywhere. there are made from a solid aluminum frame with aluminum side plates. All components are top notch. Hand picked leds from the best
batch and latest batch are custom fitted to it's TIR optic/reflector. The output and evenness is awesome. The unit I have 2400 lux 3200K model consumes a paltry 15 watts at full brightnes. They are not cheap, but then again they cannot be compared with the sub $100 plastic offerings out there. You can have one cuatom made with almost any beam angle and color temperature. I am very happy with mine

Chris Harding August 16th, 2012 08:16 PM

Hi Noam

I have had great success with the eBay lights that use 6 x PowerLED's called the 5010A ...Like the Z96 they are plastic BUT a much tougher case and a solid base too. The 6 x LED's give a really good output and a Sony FP battery lasts me all night at weddings..I already have two and they perform way better than the multi-LED lights and are still usually under $100. The only issue I had with one is I left the one barn door open and broke it off as I swung the camera into the trunk of the car!! Otherwise they are cheap and tough as nails!!!

Just search for "LED Light 5010A" on eBay and you will find them!!

Chris

Arthur Gannis August 17th, 2012 09:08 AM

I have tried many led lights that necessitated a yellow/amber filter or gel to reduce the color temperature of the bluish leds that seem to be the norm in almost all of them imports. The color temperature of some of the units can be as high as 6500K or over. I have never gotten good color skin tones when the supplied amber filter was used. They all seem to render a sickly yellow/green tone that is next to impossible to correct in post. Not only that, but the light loss when applying those amber filters can be as much as 2 full stops and all of a sudden that 1200lux rating easily goes down to 800 or less. Wait, that's not all, the diffuser that is always supplied also cuts down the light if you add that along with the amber. So here we have a light that on spec was a 60 watt halo equivalent, but is in reality a 30 watt when used in a 3200K environment. The Sabre light does not use any diffuser or CC filter at all. The leds are natively the color temperature needed/required.
The maximum output is only reduced by the dimmer as needed. Sure, one can save a lot by buying cheap, but think for one second how much time in color correction at post will be required. A pro would not mind paying more for quality and durability, after all it is his tools of the trade. I am not trying to push or endorse any brand, but when it comes to brightness, quality, and durability, the Sabre is tops in my book.