DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Test of the 312AS and 8 power led lights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/512537-test-312as-8-power-led-lights.html)

Don Bloom December 5th, 2012 04:55 PM

Test of the 312AS and 8 power led lights

OK well it's not a test yet but I did promise in an earlier thread that I would compare the 2 lights.
Since I just got the 8 power LED light today and have played with it a bit the first couple of things I noticed was: POWER BABY,POWER! Those 8 power leds have some juice behind them. At full power there should be no problem using it outside. Saying that, keep in mind this isn't a 2k light so you will still need to be within about 8 to 10 feet max depending on the ambient lighting outside but for opening up shadows and putting a little zing on the bling I think it will work pretty well. Better than the 312AS. The only other I have which worls as well or better is my AB UltraLite with a 80 watt bulb. Then of course you watch your battery go to zero pretty quick.

My only issue is build quality, and not because it's plastic. Hell they all are today but it just feels less well built than some other lights I own. I have the LP Micro, 2 of the CN160s that I use on stands and have set up with remotes and the 312AS. It might just be in my mind and I won't be throwing any of them around to be definitive about it but you just might want to be a little careful when handling it.

As for a real test, I will do that tomorrow when I have a bit more time. I'll shoot something in a dark area with both lights and post stills with the shutter speed, iris and WB settings that are used.

BTW the 8 power led is dimmable although the dimmer is in a spot that fooled me for a few minutes. I kinda had to look for it. Also I'm a little disappointed that the power cable that came with the 312AS and goes to my Bescor NiMH battry and can run the 312 for the entire evening at full power doesn't work. It fits but you have to have it in just the right position for it to make contact. BooHoo! oh well, i guess perhaps the 312 will be relagated to a light stand now.
Test pics coming soon!

Arthur Gannis December 6th, 2012 01:14 AM

Re: Test of the 312AS and 8 power led lights

What is a 8 power led light?,,,,any link to a picture or store who sells them?

Gary Nattrass December 6th, 2012 03:05 AM

Is it this one?
Pro 8 LED 1540LUX Super Power Video Light DV Camera Camcorder NP F750 Battery | eBay

Don Bloom December 6th, 2012 05:41 AM

yep, that's the one. sinces it 0'dark thirty here right now and I just woke up about 10 minutes ago, the test won't be coming until later but like I said eariler, I could light up my block with tha 8 led light.