DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Looking into a location LED 3 lite kit. Any help appreciated. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/531029-looking-into-location-led-3-lite-kit-any-help-appreciated.html)

Jonathan Levin January 29th, 2016 12:47 PM

Looking into a location LED 3 lite kit. Any help appreciated.

I looked through some of the past threads but thought I'd see if there was anything out there for a really nice 3 lite LED location kit.

Here is what I am looking to do: Location interviews, one or two person.

Key light- with soft box, or modifier to best match something like that. Powerful enough to be able to shoot @ around f/8 ISO 400-800 range without having the light 1-1/2 feet away from talent. AC and DC power. A quiet fan, if there is even one. I think the Fillixs have fans??? Dimable and variable color also wanted.

Side or fill light and an overall hair/backlight.

I'd use my Lowell Omni or two, filtered to light background.

I've got tons of stands, but a case for the above is needed.

Your thoughts on brands.

Anything out there I should look at? My rental house was showing off some Filliex(?) LED lights and they had one that put out 750w.

Also is there a way to tell how bright/powerful a light is going to be in terms of f/stop-ISO. MAinly concerned about light output. I've been using a Lowell Omni 600w with diffusion in front of that and at ISO 800 I was struggling to get to f/8.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Oren Arieli January 29th, 2016 01:22 PM

Re: Looking into a location LED 3 lite kit. Any help appreciated.

What's your budget? If it has to be battery operable, you'll probably be looking a v-mount batteries to supply enough voltage for your lights. The first system that comes to mind is the Aputure Light storm series LS 1 and LS 1/2. Although they are a bit lacking when it comes to the modifier options (currently). They do have the other qualities you need.

Two LS-1's and a single LS 1/2 with 3 v-mount batteries might stretch the definition of portable. Add to that a dual-mount battery charger and it bumps up the size and cost once again. I've considered a similar system, but haven't taken the plunge yet, as most of my shoots are within driving distance.

If you're headed to the bigger cities, it might make more financial sense to rent. It's a gamble travelling with video and grip gear nowadays.

Jonathan Levin January 29th, 2016 01:55 PM

Thanks Oren.

Actually more concerned that it be AC power with DC option. I think I'll have power for most of my situations. I was thinking in the 2k to 3k range.

Oren Arieli January 29th, 2016 04:29 PM

AC or DC, my recommendation would probably still be the same. You're going to be much more portable if you don't need to carry the big batteries and chargers (but you still have to carry stingers and power taps, so the net results might be the same).

If you want a real powerhouse AC powered LED light with a great range of accessories, then look into the Alzo 3000 series lights. I have the 3200, which puts out a whopping 17,000 lux at 1 meter, and accepts Bowens mount accessories. It's a bit bulky though, but I can transport that, plus a Dedo light in a carry-on size Pelican 1510 with room for cables and a very small softbox or bounce umbrella. Add a portable LED light for hair or fill, and you've got a nice 3 light kit.

Patrick Baldwin January 29th, 2016 05:09 PM

+1 on the aputure range. Great colour out of the box. Speaking for the daylight version. I have no experience of the bi colour versions

Greg Smith January 30th, 2016 07:58 PM

I'd third the Aputure LS solution. They're bright, silent and sturdy. Add some big shoot-through umbrellas for diffusion.

- Greg

Jonathan Levin February 2nd, 2016 10:26 AM

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

I am going over to ProGear here in Chicago to run some tests with their Fiilix lights. Really expensive though.

I am now thinking about something for just the key light that has a nice output. And maybe use my Omnis for hair and backlight, maybe pick up a few more of those. At least talent wouldn't be baking from the key light.

More later.

Jonathan

Steven Davis February 17th, 2016 07:36 PM

These look interesting. I'm heavily leaning towards these... I need a three point interview kit, researching this myself.

Bladelight - Barndoor Photo and Video Lighting by FloLight

Jonathan Levin February 18th, 2016 11:05 AM

Thanks Steven.

I have not heard of these before. And it does not look like there are any reviews on them. They also seem to be a single color temp, which from what I understand, might be a bit brighter than variable CT units.

Steven Davis February 18th, 2016 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin (Post 1909331)
Thanks Steven.

I have not heard of these before. And it does not look like there are any reviews on them. They also seem to be a single color temp, which from what I understand, might be a bit brighter than variable CT units.

Hey Jonathan,

The color temp can be changed via gel from the video description. I might do a combo of these and another flo light for the flexibility.