DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Rifa-Lite 44 & 55 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/63531-rifa-lite-44-55-a.html)

Guest March 23rd, 2006 08:45 AM

Rifa-Lite 44 & 55

I currently have a Rifa-Lite 44 and it's great. I like it so much that I'm going to get another one to use as the fill. But, I'm thinking about getting the 55 this time, and using the 55 as a key and the 44 as the fill for interview/testimonial style shooting.

After doing a search in the forum, it seems that the preference is the 55. Any reasons NOT to get the 55 over the 44? (is the 55 too much light?)

Richard Veil March 23rd, 2006 10:16 AM

It depends on the size of the rifa

Also you can put lower wattage bulb in 55 but cannot but more powerful bulb in 44
Rifa's are great..
may want to look at Chimera 8000 kit with grids, stand 500 or 250 watt.. up to 1000 watt.

but rifa diff is size of bank and wattage.

r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek West
I currently have a Rifa-Lite 44 and it's great. I like it so much that I'm going to get another one to use as the fill. But, I'm thinking about getting the 55 this time, and using the 55 as a key and the 44 as the fill for interview/testimonial style shooting.

After doing a search in the forum, it seems that the preference is the 55. Any reasons NOT to get the 55 over the 44? (is the 55 too much light?)

Rob Wilson March 23rd, 2006 10:56 AM

Derek,

I've got a 44 and an 88. Both are great. I'd recommend going larger than the 55 if you are buying a second. The 88 is pretty big but with a dimmer, very useful when trying to light more than one person/object. The 55 isn't that much larger than a 44 so it may not be as useful.

Seth Bloombaum March 23rd, 2006 11:06 AM

I chose a 55 over a 44 because I felt that I'd have to work the 44 too close to the subject to get the wrap I was looking for. 55 gives a working distance of abt. 3.5-4.5' the way I use it.

But I did value portability, and working in small spaces too. So, I didn't consider the 88. 55 when folded is about as long as a lightweight light stand, and I was building a kit into a suitcase for international travel.

I guess the question is back to you - are you feeling that you're working the 44 too close for comfort? I found a big difference between the 16" of the 44 and the 22" of the 55.

Got room to support a larger box like an 88 or chimera?

Guest March 23rd, 2006 11:08 AM

Thanks Rob & Richard,

Great points guys. That 88 does look pretty good, especially since it can go as low as 500w or as high as 1,000w. I'll let you know what I decide to go with.

***EDIT***

Seth, thanks, we must have been typing at the same time.
I did feel like I was having to put the 44 (with 250w bulb) too close and it still just was not light enough. It was very good and was a beautiful light, but could have been a tad better. And I was in a room that was already pretty well lit. The 66 may end up being a good option as it would compromise on size and light between the 55 and 88. I'll ask Guy at DVestore.com about the Chimera option as well.

Richard Veil March 23rd, 2006 06:26 PM

Just for REF at bh put in item 8000 or 8005

Lowel and Chimera get along well but the above kits

They run about $530 for complete kits

"Rifas are great thought too. and you can quote me on that.
r

Michael Wisniewski March 23rd, 2006 07:37 PM

linkified

Chimera Video Pro Plus 1 - 8005
Lowel Rifa-Lite LC-88

Seth Bloombaum March 24th, 2006 12:15 PM

Wow, that Chimera Video Pro Plus 1 is quite a package for the price. And they make great products.

Reasons to stay in the land of Rifa - extremely fast setup. Extremely light weight also means lighter stands can work. I've seen a Rifa 44 mounted on a hand-held eng camera.

Cons - you pay for that light weight with increased fragility. An owner-operator can take appropriate care, the product will last but they don't last as well in multi-user or rental environments.

Chimera pros - that's a really competitive and complete package, and a great size. Gear will last longer, especially when abused. Lost or damaged parts are individually replaceable. Everyone knows about Chimera, they are an industry standard for good reason.

Cons - lots of parts to keep track of. Increased setup time.

They both put out great light, ya' gotta' figure out which features are of greater benefit to you.

****edit****
The 40 degree fabric egg crate included in the above chimera kit really makes it a screaming deal if you need such.

Guest March 24th, 2006 12:24 PM

Everyone's been a great help. How nice it is to get opinions from around the globe. I'll probably end up getting going "route" 66. I think the 66/44 will make a great key/fill combo and will be portable and able to set up in 90% of the places I would want to use it in. And I'll probably get the 40 or 50 degree egg crate at the same time. I like the 50 degree egg crate I have right now on my 44.

Richard Veil March 24th, 2006 12:37 PM

Seth.. great critique.

the chimera comes in at a great price point.. still not sure how we did it with grids..but there it is item 8005 or 8000

Rifas rock.
but just so u know our mogul has the speedring built in and is great for Lanterns ect. The box can then go on almost any open face light.
But Rifa is fast and when people come to our booth we tell them just what you said.
When people go to Lowel for a lightbank for Tota's DP's ect they send people over to see Chimera.
The Avenger A630b stand we use is really nice though.

Thanks for all your info and I think that I can speak for all of us

- We are all here to help.
NAB in April.. I won't be there but maybe check it out
www.nab.com

I am trying to figure what is up with www.dvexpo.com this year.
Pass along any info.. used to be a july show in NYC and one IN LA in Dec.
Strength and honor

Richard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek West
Everyone's been a great help. How nice it is to get opinions from around the globe. I'll probably end up getting going "route" 66. I think the 66/44 will make a great key/fill combo and will be portable and able to set up in 90% of the places I would want to use it in. And I'll probably get the 40 or 50 degree egg crate at the same time. I like the 50 degree egg crate I have right now on my 44.

Rob Wilson March 24th, 2006 01:49 PM

After seeing the price on the Chimera, I would go that route. Having a 40 degree egg crate can be really helpful at times. If you want one for the lowel, it'll cost an additional couple of hundred bucks. Wish I had one and after seeing that Chimera, I might just get one of those instead of just a grid for my lowel.