DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   transporting lighting equipment by plane on a solo assignment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/87954-transporting-lighting-equipment-plane-solo-assignment.html)

Mark Sasahara March 7th, 2007 05:34 PM

Hey Jaron, I'll be Gaffing Don't Sweat It, for HGTV. I'm returning as gaffer for season 2 and we've just about finished wrangling the budget. I hope. Should be fun.

I'll also be shooting live action segments for Seemor's Playhouse, a PBS kid's show. Did some last year and we'll shoot more for the new season. A few other things are in the works as well.

Sounds like Jaron and Guy should have some decent miles accrued. Build some vacation time into your schedules to help avoid burnout.

Charles Hurley March 8th, 2007 01:07 AM

"PLEASE DO NOT THROW - FRAGILE" stuck EVERYWHERE helps a lot.
Thanks, that's the best advice in this thread. Sincerely, Charles.

Guy Cochran March 9th, 2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Hurley (Post 638090)
"PLEASE DO NOT THROW - FRAGILE" stuck EVERYWHERE helps a lot.
Thanks, that's the best advice in this thread. Sincerely, Charles.

I'm kinda doubting that. I just heard this week of a Digital Betacam camera with the Fragile stickers stuck all over it getting tossed (and broke) right in front of the producer sitting in the plane watching them load. Luckily insurance is covering it.

I place very little faith in those guerillas. Under paid and overworked, they gotta take their aggression out somewhere. While no one is looking those jackasses would probably want to chuck your luggage harder because of the sticker. Bubble wrap is your friend - pack your gear expecting them to play football with it. And I'd leave off the stickers. Seriously.

Oh yeah, here's the latest from our local airport http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...ge-theft_x.htm

Jaron Berman March 9th, 2007 01:41 PM

Yes and no. If it's heavy, it's hard to throw anyways. Plus, every time I write "DO NOT THROW", it comes back with saying, "please," penned in sharpie - meaning someone took the time to stop and look. Obviously, checking luggage is a risky situation, but packing carefully and taking all precautions possible, things generally turn out ok. If the gear can't survive a fall from about 4.5 feet, it's probably not ok to check or it's not packed well enough. Checking cameras in anything less than ATA approved air cases is a VERY risky thing to do, labeled or not. If you can see your digibeta getting broken from a plane window, you DEFINITELY did not pack it well enough.

Obviously, enough stuff gets broken that throwers get a bad rap. But I have a hard time believing that in their position, they find joy working harder than they already do. Breaking stuff means dropping or throwing it farther than necessary. I'm sure there are isolated circumstances where it happens, but more likely than not the gear was ineffectively packed, and something happened as an accident. Bags fall off trucks, off conveyor belts, bags take 2-3' falls when tossed from place to place. Unfortunately, this is the reality of air travel. If it sounds too risky, hand carry your gear. Take your tripod head in your carry-on. Remove globes from your lights, check your lights and hand-carry your globes. Anything remotely fragile should ride with you.

One thing that has worked as a last resort is a waiver in hand when boarding. If you end up on a commuter plane and can't carry-on enough stuff, politely tell the flight attendant that you'd be happy to check everything if they just sign the release making them fully liable for ANY damages to any of your equipment. It then takes about 2 minutes for them to stow your gear in the captain's closet.

Richard Andrewski March 9th, 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaron Berman (Post 638968)
One thing that has worked as a last resort is a waiver in hand when boarding. If you end up on a commuter plane and can't carry-on enough stuff, politely tell the flight attendant that you'd be happy to check everything if they just sign the release making them fully liable for ANY damages to any of your equipment. It then takes about 2 minutes for them to stow your gear in the captain's closet.

The way they are these days at the airport, it wouldn't surprise me that they would deny you boarding, call the federal marshals and tell them your a trouble maker ;-)

John Rakis March 12th, 2007 01:24 PM

I've always carry my camera and microphones with me and check my tripod in a case that includes two boom poles and a light stand. My light kit goes via FedEx, either two day or ground service. The latter is less expensive than bringing the kit via the airline and is much more convenient. While FedEx does not usually pick up for ground deliveries, they have accommodated me when I make the request by telephone (they charge extra for this). My light kit is packed in a Tamrac 683 rolling case which is air-shippable and sized to meet airline requirements (if I need to carry it with me). Inside of it, I pack 4 lights, 2 softboxes, 3 compact light stands, grip equipment, etc. The kit usually weighs roughly 60 pounds. The Tarmac case has held up well, but it's a little difficult to maneuver. It tends to tip over if you walk too fast or if you walk on uneven pavement.

Peter Ferling March 30th, 2007 11:30 AM

I hate carrying gear through the airport, if I have to carry more than one bag, it's fedex time.

I have a three-piece lowell tota, two umbrellas and a rifa-44 all in a lowell suitcase. I do happen to use two pelican 1650's. Being wary of theft, I sometimes place the pelicans in cardboard boxes (depending on the location and how long they will be waiting for me). These I lug around on a folding multi-cart (very nice investment).

For smaller gigs, and those where shipping ahead won't do, I do have a rolling case that's similar to a porter overhead. In that I put the rifa44, Sony HC1 HDV camera, a modo manofroto tripod, a varizoom dv shoulder rig (disassembled), 16:9 lcd on cam monitor, a wireless and shotgun mics, tapes, batteries and cables. I cut and glued a custom foam section to isolate/protect the camera, LCD, and mics from the rest of the gear that fits snuggly around inside.

Because I shoot mostly in daylight, or in the well lit operating rooms, I usually need only one light, and the rifa44 is very compact when folded, but not overbearing in an already crowded room, or up close and personal.