DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   2 Person Interview Lighting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/89290-2-person-interview-lighting.html)

Ryan Flesher March 19th, 2007 12:13 AM

2 Person Interview Lighting

I need a good solution for shooting an interview of two people sitting side by side (in seperate chairs) with one camera (HDV). My kit includes a Photoflex softbox (500W Tota light), another 500W Tota, 2 500W Omni lights and a reflector. I have diffusion and also 300W bulbs for the Omnis.
Should I use the Softbox and the other totas as key lights and one omni as a back light for both (in the middle)?
Any thoughts would help.
Thanks, RYan

Nino Giannotti March 19th, 2007 11:56 AM

You can use the same set-up by using your softbox for one of the key and shine one of the Omni thru the diffusion for a second key; by diffusion I mean a large diffusion not a small piece of gel, if you don’t have one go to Walmart and buy a thin frosted shower curtain and hang it between two stands, just don’t keep it too close to the light.

Place the reflector (white side) somewhere near the camera and bounce the Tota into the reflector for fill. Use your last Omni for the background. Use dimmers, gels or scrims to adjust the output of each light so they can balance well together.

If you are going to use different camera angles for cuts you might have to boom your keys, or at least the softbox.

Have fun.

Nino
www.EFPlighting.com

Ryan Flesher March 19th, 2007 11:07 PM

Thanks Nino. Just to be a bit more clear, in my shoot the couple will both be facing the camera (not each other). Would you still do the same setup.
I thought softbox for one key (Left) and omni with diffusion as a key (right), a reflector to add fill for both. A tota as a dual hair light and an omni as back ground.

What do yo think?
Ryan

Charles Hurley March 20th, 2007 02:55 AM

First of all put the people at a 60-90 degree angle to one another with the camera at the vertex of the angle. If my geometric terminology is incorrect I apologize it's been awhile. Put the softbox on axis with the camera. Use the other 2 300w to provide key/rim in an x pattern. To be clearerer one 300w light can be both backlight rim for 1 and key for 2 and the opposite is true for the second 300w. this will give you 3/4 shots with fillside facing the camera and key and rim on either side. Good Luck, Charles.

Heiko Saele March 21st, 2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

First of all put the people at a 60-90 degree angle to one another with the camera at the vertex of the angle.
I don't think that's how Ryan needs to put those two people - I think they need to be side by side, both facing the same direction. In that case I'd try to light both like just one talent - use ND gels to cover for the difference in lighting intensity (that can be difficult with softboxes and diffused lights, but it should be possible)