DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Best options for highly, highly portable light. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/91618-best-options-highly-highly-portable-light.html)

Matt Buys April 16th, 2007 05:55 AM

Best options for highly, highly portable light.

I'm going to be biking in Belgium from brewery to brewery. I have to carry everything on my bike. I'm taking my HV20. Outdoors it's fantastic but indoors it's not. What are my options for bringing a light to do indoor interviews and interior shots with?

Bill Ball April 16th, 2007 07:28 AM

Assuming you cant afford something more expensive than your HV20 I would say Lowell Pro Light with a lot of accessories (barn doors, gell holder, etc) clip some diffusion to the gel holder for a soft light key, use a reflector for fill. Gel for daylight and other light temp corrections. The biggest problem is find a place on your bike for the light stand.

Matt Buys April 16th, 2007 09:48 AM

You made me realize, I should mention the budget. $300-$500. Anything more cuts into the beer funds. Light stand is a problem. I'm taking a small tripod but one medium sized backpack is all I have for a week. Clothes, shoes, maps, etc.,

Eric Stemen April 16th, 2007 11:11 AM

I've got a pair of lowel pro lights checked out from school right now. They seem to do pretty good and are very small. You could probably get away without a lightstand just by bouncing it off the walls. Or better yet, try to make something that attaches to your downtube then flip your bike upside down....your bike could be a small lightstand.

Make sure you have the correct adapters for different countries if they require them.

Dave Stern April 16th, 2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Stemen (Post 661237)
I've got a pair of lowel pro lights checked out from school right now. They seem to do pretty good and are very small. You could probably get away without a lightstand just by bouncing it off the walls. Or better yet, try to make something that attaches to your downtube then flip your bike upside down....your bike could be a small lightstand.

Make sure you have the correct adapters for different countries if they require them.

I was thinking something similar..some type of telescoping bar (maybe from an old mike stand, etc.) that would collapse, but is attached or could be attached to the bike that the light could clamp to. might need some type of kick stand if saddle bags, etc. would prevent the bike from being flipped over at will.

Peter Ferling April 16th, 2007 12:36 PM

Got a 250watt rifa44 softbox, $300:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Whole thing (light, stand, cord and hood) folds/rolls up into a 24"x8" duffle bag.

Then use a white bounce for fill, (something that folds up):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

or similiar.

Might find some this cheaper on ebay.

Bill Ball April 16th, 2007 08:25 PM

A pro light with diffusion clipped to a gel frame is smaller still than the rifa and a lot more versatile, such as adjusting for different color temps (with gels), focusing, and use as a hard source. I suggest a bogen 3086 light stand as it will take up no more room than your tripod alone, just bundle them together. But certainly pick up the Amvona AS-014A clamps via e-bay. They will let you mount your light to almost anything (doors, shelves, pipes, etc). Also get a decent wired lav mic and bring headphones to monitor the sound if you are doing interviews in workplaces.

Peter Ferling April 16th, 2007 09:49 PM

Not when folded up, it's smaller for transport -which is what matters here (have you used a Rifa 44?). The uni stand is only 22" collasped, vs. 33.8" of the bogen. You don't have to remove the light in the hood (let it cool first), it folds-in on itself and rolls into 16"x3" with an attached velcro strap. The front silk diffusion is removeable if you want or need a hard light for small areas. It's very comfortable as a personal interview light.

As I said before, the entire kit fits right into a 24" canvas bag that you can stuff into a backpack, or run across your handle bars.

Matt Buys April 16th, 2007 10:16 PM

Well, this thread has just inspired me to buy Paul's kit over on the classifieds. I figure the other lights I can use later for more amibitious lighting projects but in the meantime I'll take along a lowel pro with a clamp and practice using my bike as a light stand. As usual, everyone's advice has been inciteful. Thank you all.

Peter Ferling April 17th, 2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 661634)
...I'll take along a lowel pro with a clamp and practice using my bike as a light stand...

Bike doubles as a light stand? We want pictures :)

It sounds like a fun and healthy project!