DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Private Classifieds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-classifieds/)
-   -   FS-US+AKHI New-in-box Sony FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-classifieds/536892-new-box-sony-fs5.html)

Darin Boville July 23rd, 2019 05:02 PM

New-in-box Sony FS5

4 Attachment(s)
I have a new-in-box Sony FS5 that I opened only to photograph just now.

I lusted after one of these a few years ago but I think my Fuji XT3 does all I need, alas.

Can't get any more mint than this. Does not have the $500 optional upgrades (yet).

Pick up in Half Moon Bay, California preferred.

$3100 (new is $3500 at B&H and maybe tax, too, if you don't used their new credit card).

Darin Boville July 25th, 2019 06:10 PM

Re: New-in-box Sony FS5

Now $2950...trying to "clear the decks" here a bit...

--Darin

Darin Boville August 6th, 2019 04:52 PM

How about $2700. :)

I can ship to buyers with posting history here.

--Darin

Darin Boville August 11th, 2019 04:28 PM

No interest in a mint FS5? I'm sort of thinking I should keep it! :)

O.K., $2500...

-Darin

Donald McPherson August 12th, 2019 12:55 AM

Wish I didn't have a wife. 😅😅😩

Darin Boville August 13th, 2019 04:00 PM

O.K., we are getting quite low here. I have an offer under my asking price but I think it is too low. On the other hand this unit is not selling. How about $2400, I pay USA shipping and the PayPal fee.

I *think* this is a great deal!

If you are interested let me know ASAP--the guy knows I'm still trying to sell it but I can't keep him waiting forever.

Who knew a mint FS5 would be so hard to sell!

--Darin

btw, I'm "boville" on E-bay, my web page is www.darinboville.com (although nothing much is there now due to an upcoming book), and I'm here (very) little and Fred Miranda, and DPReview, etc. Happy to meet in person in SF Bay Area, if you like.

Darin Boville August 13th, 2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1952269)
Wish I didn't have a wife. ������

Surprise her and make it a gift *to* her! How could she refuse.... :)

--Darin

Andrew Smith August 14th, 2019 07:57 AM

It's probably a very good deal, but it's not every day that you're going to buy a new camera and commit to the workflows etc that come with it. Potential purchasers would also have to factor in the purchase of a lens, by the look of things ... taking the purchase into uncertain territory.

Andrew

Chris Hurd August 14th, 2019 08:22 AM

It took me the better part of a year to sell a RED Epic X Dragon at a price that was uncomfortably low in my opinion. The process can definitely take some time. Hang in there and don't give in to low-ball offers (unless you really, really need the cash). The right buyer is out there; sometimes the planets have to line up first though.

Darin Boville August 15th, 2019 05:29 PM

On E-Bay! Thanks...

--Darin

Darin Boville August 17th, 2019 12:47 AM

And, wow, didn't sell again.

So, two things:

First--if there is anyone interested here please make me an offer. It's back on E-bay but would be happy to cancel the auction if there are no current bids.

Second--I don't think I want to keep it--your thoughts? I'm a artist--I do still photos, video and other stuff. I have a Fuji XT3 with a gaggle of lenses. As far as I understand the to really make the most out of the FS5 I need to get an external recorder (adding cost + reducing the advantage of its small size a bit) + pay the $500 upgrade. I would also need a lens. I sold all of my Zeiss ZF when I bought Fuji so I have nothing now that would work--sadly it appears you cannot adapt Fuji. So there are significant things on the cost side of the ledger. What major advantages would I get if I kept it? Slightly better DR, some slow-mo capability, a better form factor for video, nice ND filter...that's a lot but maybe not enough to keep it for my needs?

--Darin

Andrew Smith August 17th, 2019 04:13 AM

Enter, stage right, video camera and instructional guru Doug Jensen ...

Andrew

Doug Jensen August 17th, 2019 05:43 AM

Uh, did I hear my name mentioned?

$2500 is a great deal for a FS5. No question about. Any professional who makes their living shooting video, and who doesn't already have a better 4K camcorder, would be crazy not to jump on this opportunity. $2500 is nothing and the camera ought to pay for itself in a few days of work. It blows the doors off any mirrorless camera. Not just in terms of image quality, but more in terms of capabilities, features, functions, ergonomics, speed, and efficiency -- all things that ought to be more important to a professional than image quality alone. In the right hands, the FS5 can be a cash cow.

A mirrorless camera (and SLRs and phones) is a stills camera that happens to shoot video as an after thought. Whereas the FS5 (and other camcorders) are purposely built for the purpose, needs, and rigors, of professional video production for people who have work to get done. That is a distinction that is sadly lost on a lot of people who want to dabble in video but don't really want to approach it seriously.

Darin, no offense intended, but I can see from what you said in your last post you have several incorrect impressions about the need for external recorders, lenses, and so forth. I don't think you really understand exactly what kind of tool you have in your hands. My advice would be to learn about the camera and it's capabilities and then put it to work. But if you don't really care to master the camera or pursue earning money with it enough to justify its existence, then sell it for whatever you can get and let the next guy (or gal) put it to work.

To tell you the truth, your most likely buyer ought to be someone who already has an FS5. For $2500 they'd have the perfect camera for two-camera shoots. The best B-camera for multi-camera shoots is always going to be one that is the same model as the A-camera. For someone who is already making money with one FS5, picking up extra income by having two FS5s at their disposal ought to be a no-brainer.

That's my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Darin Boville August 17th, 2019 03:37 PM

Oh, hey Doug, I get you completely. I got this camera as a sort of gift a few weeks ago (long story, but it's a USA warranty model) and when it first came out several years ago I *had* wanted one quite a lot. But then the XT3 came out which, I think, meets all of my needs. So I thought I'd sell this and fund stuff I really need.

But since selling has been more difficult than expected I thought I'd better review its capabilities to make sure I wasn't missing something I could use....I *am* seeing important capabilities that would be nice but which would require me to make additional purchases and, worse, deal with a separate system (from the Fuji) with, sadly, no ability to use my Fuji lenses on the Sony.

It does look like a very cool camera. :)

But still for sale! $2400 or best offer!

-Darin

Doug Jensen August 17th, 2019 05:01 PM

I don't pretend to know anything about your Fuji camera (except that it is not a camcorder) but almost any brand of SLR or mirrorless lens can be adapted to work on the FS5 if you want to share lenses. That is the beauty of Sony's e-mount. I don't know if the adapters below are the right ones, but I'm sure the right ones do exist somewhere if you look around.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1455867-REG/kipon_fuji_ox_s_e_adapter.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

Darin Boville August 18th, 2019 12:09 AM

Hey Doug,

Alas, those are the Fujica adapters--Fujica was the SLR Fuji had out way back in the film days. Never owned one but I heard they were nice. I think there are no Fuji Digital X to Sony E adapters because the flange distance is almost the same--not enough space too squeeze in an adapter and maybe not enough market demand to try.

It would be cool, though. The Fuji X lenses are quite nice.

--Darin

Doug Jensen August 18th, 2019 05:35 AM

You very well could be right about there not being adapters for that mount. I hope someone snaps up your camera at the price, it is a very good deal. Good luck.

Darin Boville August 21st, 2019 12:25 PM

$2300 including shipping (USA) and paypal fee.

You *need* this camera. :)

--Darin

Darin Boville August 26th, 2019 04:42 PM

Re: New-in-box Sony FS5 -- $2200

You guys are merciless. :)

$2200 including USA shipping and PayPal fee.

--Darin

Darin Boville September 7th, 2019 11:20 PM

Cruel, cruel world.

$2100 !!!

--Darin

Nate Haustein September 12th, 2019 10:15 PM

Oh dear this is getting hard to resist. Still got it Darin?

Dave Rochelle September 13th, 2019 12:25 PM

If only I could use m43 lenses on this... but I don't think a quality method exists due to minuscule difference in flange distance...?

Darin Boville September 15th, 2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1953226)
Oh dear this is getting hard to resist. Still got it Darin?

Much to my surprise, I still have it. I just posted on the Facebook FS5 group, though--didn't know they existed.

--Darin

Darin Boville September 15th, 2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rochelle (Post 1953242)
If only I could use m43 lenses on this... but I don't think a quality method exists due to minuscule difference in flange distance...?

There appear to be adapters--I found one on Amazon--but I know nothing of their quality. However, in general they are just spacers--no optical elements--so they should work fine, optically.

However, I don't see one at Metabones....

--Darin

Darin Boville September 18th, 2019 09:48 PM

Still for sale! PM me!

--Darin

Darin Boville September 23rd, 2019 11:01 PM

Now down to $2000 including shipping. $50 off for in-person pick up!

It really is mint, untouched....just beautiful...

--Darin

Darin Boville September 27th, 2019 05:13 PM

The Sony FS5 has sold. Thanks too everyone for your thoughts and comments.

--Darin

Andy Wilkinson September 28th, 2019 06:49 AM

Somebody got a bargain!

Donald McPherson September 28th, 2019 07:33 AM

Not a bargain. A robbery.

Andrew Smith September 30th, 2019 05:15 AM

Yes, it's a cruel cruel world out there. :-)

Andrew

Jeremy Cole October 27th, 2019 06:19 PM

Wow! Had I seen this post, I would have picked up a second FS5 for peanuts. Some one indeed got a very good deal.