DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   LANC Tripod Handle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/20588-lanc-tripod-handle.html)

Paul Tauger January 29th, 2004 06:14 PM

LANC Tripod Handle?

I'd like to get a LANC remote that I can attach to my tripod handle, so that I can control my VX2000 when it's tripod-mounted. Bogen/Manfrotto makes them, but they're in the $300-400 range. Sony has a couple of tripods with remote in the $50-60 range, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to disassemble the controller, and I'm not interested in using it with the Sony tripod (I have a nice carbon-fiber Manfrotto with a Bogen fluid head).

Does anyone know any sources for a reasonably-priced wired remote that might work with the Bogen head? Perhaps something that clips on, etc.?

Alan Christensen January 29th, 2004 06:47 PM

I'm also researching the same thing. You can find a lot of info on zoom controllers if you do a search on "zoom controllers" across all the DV info net forums. I'm leaning towards the Canon zr-1000 as it appears to work reasonably well and it is under $200. For one that works better, you need to spend $300+.

Mike Rehmus January 29th, 2004 06:47 PM

All of the remotes will work.

I have a Sony controller. You just remove it along with the pan handle from one of their tripods. I made a sleeve for the tip of the handle so that it would work with my Bogen and Miller tripod heads.

It does not offer a focus control which my VariZoom and others have. But the price is certainly right and it works fine for most uses.

Don Bloom January 29th, 2004 07:37 PM

I have been using a Varizoom Stealth on my 150's for over a year now and am quite pleased with it. Zoom,Record and Focus although on occassion it will have a bit of a stutter to it when starting a zoom, but that has only happened on rare occassions at least for me. It's less money than some of the others but for the dollar it works well.
Don

Mike Rehmus January 29th, 2004 09:51 PM

My Stealth has been back to the factory for repair after about 18 months of use.

The report was that the 'cable' was 'broken'. I was very careful of that cable and it had not so much as a kink in it.

Hogwash. They also replaced one of the circuit boards. It always was a bit mysterious. Red light would blink when all was OK with the camera, sometimes it would not work with one camera but OK with another.

Still, the repairs only cost $34 incuding shipping.

Law Tyler January 29th, 2004 11:36 PM

The Canon ZR-1000 all the way!

I love it.

Cheap ($180?), it let's you set the speed of zoom or vari-speed. The fixed speed even has 5 settings. So now when I zoom on-the-fly, it looks consistant (-ly slow).

And it goes on both large and small tripod handles (700RC2 and 501) good, although on the 700RC2 I have to let it ride up on the grip, but still, handles very well.

I should have bought it months ago.

Don Bloom January 30th, 2004 05:21 AM

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the heads up on the repair with the "kinked cable". I'm very cautious with the cable as it is kinda 'thin' and knock on wood, so far, no problems. However I will be more aware now of what MIGHT happen.
Thanks,
Don.

BTW, so far it's worked on both 150's and my old VX1000.
Go figure:-)

Paul Tauger January 30th, 2004 10:20 AM

I've come across this:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eplusshoper/dstt800rc.html

At camcorderinfor.com (which seems to be mostly an amateur group), I found this write-up:

"Vidpro 2000RCM - heavier, but panhead not level - harder to pan left to right (which might actually give me MORE control in a sense), legs do not slide out or in very well. I'm going to try some silicone spray. BUT the remote control is GREAT!!! Can zoom at a wide range of speeds, can do a search from the remote to find the exact spot at which to begin taping, one touch button makes the display disappear and/or reappear on the LCD screen. Only other way to accomplish this is to touch the battery check button on the camera which would make it jiggle while taping! These are features that are not included on the Sony. "

For $65 or so, how bad could it be?

Don Bloom January 30th, 2004 11:23 AM

Paul,
It sounds like you think as I do. For $65 what's the worst that can happen. You never use it and you spent $65. It's like going out for dinner and a movie. The food was bad and the movie worse but even though you spend $65 you get over it and go to dinner and a movie again. ;-0
Don

Eugene J. Kulak February 13th, 2004 12:58 PM

Try the Sony RM-VD1 selling for 39.95 at B&H.

Tom Hardwick February 15th, 2004 03:08 AM

I've just come back from spending three days at London's Video Forum, and the remote to aim at is the Manfrotto 523. You can programme this so the zoom in is either 'move control left' or 'move control right', but the best bit is that they've taken off the silly buttons for backlight, photo and fader and replaced them with three zoom speed control buttons. The unit ships with these three buttons set as general use presets, but you can rapidly customise them to your own zoom levels. You can make them all set speeds if you like, so that however hard you push that zoom rocker the camera will stay in the creep-zoom mode, or middle spped or crash speed. Ideal for those stressful wedding moments!

tom.

Chris Hurd February 15th, 2004 03:19 AM

There are a *lot* of LANC controllers out there. I suppose we should do a write-up on the main site that provides an overview of all of 'em.

Law Tyler February 15th, 2004 07:26 AM

Man, I would love a LANC controller with different sets of zoom speed buttons.

Can't just be limited to one speed for any given project, and the varizoom buttons are just "unpredictable" to some of us "unskilled".

One set for slow zoom as somebody said for wedding, and at least another top-speed zoom to "get there" quickly.

In fact, I would love to have a set of 3 buttons for "closest" position, middle position, and "widest" position. 5 buttons would be even better.

I bet somebody is going to say at this moment, that, that is what hiring a skill cameraman is for. Well, guess many of us don't have enough projects to hire another person, much less a skilled guy presumably requiring some premium pay.

In fact, how about "voice activition" (ala voice recognition), that would be great for everything except slow continunous zoom-on-the-fly. Have to whisper, though.

Boyd Ostroff February 15th, 2004 08:19 AM

I use a Varizoom Pro-L, and if I understand you correctly it will do what you want. It has a separate dial where you preset your zoom speed, all the way down the the slowest that your camera will support. This makes it easy to select your desired speed and insure that it doesn't change. With a little practice you can turn the dial as you zoom to get a continuous variation.

Law Tyler February 15th, 2004 09:58 AM

Thanks Boyd.

I have the ZR-1000. But if I guess yours has some kind of two simultanous controls that varies the speed and direction? That would be nice. The ZR-1000 can simulate that too, but would be awkward.

Still, separate sets of buttons IMO would ensure no "accidents", or least minimize it.

Wonder if they allow two LANC to be attached? Or maybe use the wireless remote in conjunction with the LANC? Now we have 4 sets of control, 5 if you include the zoom ring. :-)