DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   Good Lanc - Remote for XL-H1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/470695-good-lanc-remote-xl-h1.html)

Philipp Steiner January 9th, 2010 06:58 AM

Good Lanc - Remote for XL-H1?

Hi,

I am searching for a good Remote Device for the Xl-H1.. I own this one:
http://www.merlin.ch/shop/images/prod/112586.jpg

But when i am doing very soft Zooms it changes speed all the Time and i cant use the Material.. Its stuttering :(

Would you recommend something?

cheers..

Chris Soucy January 9th, 2010 01:38 PM

Hi Philipp...............

Canon ZR 2000 sounds like the way to go.

Zoom speed can be dialled in on both the Lanc itself and varied again on the camera, so you can have variable speed depending on rocker pressure or fixed at just about anything you like.

Yes, it has Push AF as well.

CS

Tony Davies-Patrick January 9th, 2010 07:13 PM

The Manfrotto (Bogen) 522C is superb and I wouldn't like to go anywhere without mine.

Philipp Steiner January 10th, 2010 11:28 AM

Thanks very much for the Feedback..

The Canon ZR 2000 is probably not suitable.. I only need the Zoomcontrol... And for this i need a big turning circle..

The Manfrotto looks interesting.. but is it possible to adapt something like this:

JVC Zoom Servo Unit HZ-ZS13BU Hinterkamerabedienung bei eBay.de: Konverter Vorsätze (endet 13.01.10 17:22:52 MEZ)

to the lanc port? via adapter?

Chris Soucy January 10th, 2010 01:20 PM

Hi.....

Probably not.

Every manufacturer implements Lanc in their own strange pattern, with their choice of what codes operate what function in what way.

Which is why they are manufacturer and even camera specific. The market is far too small to make "adapters" a viable economic proposition.

I do not understand your comment about the ZR2000 and "big turning circle", that last bit totally "lost in translation".

CS

Paul Doherty January 10th, 2010 02:08 PM

I'll second Chris and his vote for the ZR2000. Lots of features and has stood up well to use outdoors in dodgy weather BUT it is relatively expensive.

However I've had a couple of much cheaper Hama remotes in the past and they just couldn't take much wear and tear, but (touch wood) my ZR2000 has been fine.

Dave Gosley January 10th, 2010 06:16 PM

The Varizoom is damn good - we have two, although I recently had cause to question staying with them over spares.

Varizoom have a policy of not selling spares direct to end users i.e. you bust it you HAVE to send it back for repair.
We broke one of the 2.5m connectors and needed to replace the lead. Bitched as much as I could but they would not sell me one, so I bought a lead with one fixed to it and opened the case and fixed it myself. Fiddly - but easily done and nowhere near rocket science.

The unit now performs perfectly - and to repeat my opener - they are damned good.

Philipp Steiner January 11th, 2010 04:18 AM

I think i need to try them out at the shop.. The Varizoom is not that common.. I couldnt find one shop here, who has one.. Manfrotto on the other hand is very common.. And the ZR2000 is also an easy find..

Sorry about the lost in translation.. I meant i prefer a bigger Device, so its easier to make smooth changes instead of a tiny Device, where you need much more feel.. Its like the sensitivity of the Mouse Arrow on the Computer..Some people move the Mouse for one cm and travel over the whole Screen.. I instead need 5 cm to work with it ;)

Tony Davies-Patrick January 11th, 2010 07:19 AM

I prefer a big mouse with 'form' factor' too! That is why the well-built Manfrotto fits my requirements. It is all one unit as part of the tripod arm and allows for very fine adjustments and control of zooming speed with just a gentle twist of the thumb. Plus numerous extra button options for stop/rec, on-off screen, search feature, manual or af focus control etc.

The only thing I'd like to see improved are the pimple buttons. The stop-start button is in red, but at the same height as all the other buttons. It would be much better if the stop/start button was raised very slightly higher and larger to avoid pressing the wrong button when your eye is clamped to the the camcorder viewfinder and you are using the lanc control via 'feel' without looking at the controls, or when filming at night.