DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Remote Lens Controllers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/)
-   -   VariZoom Stealth Lens Controller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/remote-lens-controllers/643-varizoom-stealth-lens-controller.html)

Jerry Bixman January 8th, 2002 11:54 AM

VariZoom Stealth Lens Controller

When the controller is plugged into the lanc input of the XL1s the camera will not go into standby when the standby button is pushed. The button I refer to is located on the viewfinder side bottom row next to the white balance button. The camera registers and seems to go into standby but after a second or two comes back on and shows image. Any other users tried this?

Jerry

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2002 12:22 PM

The "Stealth" model is the small controller that Varizoom recently introduced, isn't it? (I have the older, larger controller.)

Does the standby/power button on the VZ controller work?

Jerry Bixman January 8th, 2002 12:36 PM

Ken,

Yes this is the small stealth controller. The 'on' button seems to have no function with the XL1s, pressing the button has no effect.

Jerry

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2002 02:11 PM

Jerry,
I don't know how helpful this will be but here's what I get using the older VZ controller on my XL1 (the only comparable cam I have on hand today).

The "standby" button on the XL1 will engage and remain engaged while the VZ controller is connected.

The "power" button on the VZ controller WILL NOT engage the standby function on the XL1 but WILL disengage it (i.e. wake it up). This is odd because, although I don't use this feature often, I thought I did remember that the VZ button would engage the standby function. Since I can't find the VZ's original documentation I can't say whether or not this is by design. Logic tells me that it might be right but...

Of course the standby power logic has been reengineered on the XL1s (ex: the ability to disable auto power-off, etc.) so all of this anecdotal testing may be for naught. It's probably worth a call to the VZ folks.

Consider yourself lucky that you discovered this before it bit you in the tail, eh?

Ed Frazier January 8th, 2002 02:55 PM

Hi Jerry,

I had the same problem with my VZPro-LX/XL1S combination. When you try to go to stand-by mode using the button on the camera body with the controller connected, the camera will power back up right away. I contacted Varizoom concerning this and they acknowledged that there is a problem. They are working on a fix.

The VZPro-LX only has a "Wake Up" button, no "Power" button. According to the instructions, it is designed only to wake the camera up from stand-by and will not put the camera into stand-by mode.

Ed Frazier

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2002 03:10 PM

Ed,

Well this won't make ol' Jerry feel any better but at least I know that my VZ controller is functioning correctly <g>.

Thanks, Ed. Sorry, Jer.

Mark Chiocchi January 8th, 2002 04:13 PM

The Varizoom controllers don't work with the XL1S send it back or call them to fix it to work with the XL1s.

I sold mine cuz it doesn’t work. I use the Canon controller. I like that you can control the speed with the rocker button.

I don't like their dial you have to tune to get the speed you need.

Plus the Canon one dose the same thing.

Chris Hurd January 9th, 2002 03:18 AM

Final answers:

The standby buttons on VariZoom controllers are for WAKE UP only. They were never desgned to put a camera to sleep.

Ed Frazier January 9th, 2002 05:54 AM

Good Morning Chris,

Your final answer did not address the fact that there IS a known problem with the Varizoom controllers and the XL1S. Standby mode is NOT functional when the controller is connected thus rendering the Wake Up button useless. (VCR Stop mode is not affected)

Do you have any information on when this might be resolved? My last communication with Varizoom indicated that they were working on a fix, but I don't want to bug them about it just yet. If you happen to know the status, maybe you could keep us updated here and reduce the individual calls to the company.

Thanks,
Ed Frazier

Chris Hurd January 9th, 2002 10:22 AM

I will do so, Ed. Right now I'm in a hotel room at MacWorld in S.F. with only this stupid WebTV for net access. Gotta keep it short until I get back.

Ed Frazier January 25th, 2002 02:18 PM

Chris, have you had a chance to check with Varizoom on the standby problem discussed in this thread?

Ed Frazier

John Steele July 3rd, 2002 03:47 AM

Varizoom Stealth Zoom Speed

Guys, looking for a bit of advice. I just got the Varizoom Stealth controller and it works well apart from one thing. I feel that the zoom out speed is very slow, much slower than the camera rocker. Has any other stealth users noticed this or could it be a fault with my unit?

John.

Ron Johnson July 29th, 2002 10:32 AM

John - I just started using a Stealth Zoom with my GL1 and because of your post, I timed IN / OUT operation. I found both times to be the same - around 4 seconds. This seemed a little slower than the on-camera rocker switch zoom (I estimate between 3 and 4 seconds). There may be menu settings on your camera that control zoom speed - perhaps an adjustment there will help.

On the other hand, if one's Stealth Zoom is in good condition, it is a great device to have!

Ron Johnson

John Steele July 30th, 2002 09:51 AM

Thanks Ron, Since the original post I got in touch with Varizoom and they said that some of the faster zoom speeds are sacrificed because of the small size of the unit. So it's all working fine and I'm happy with that. :-)

John.

Aaron Rosen April 27th, 2003 12:14 PM

Varizoom Stealth LANC Controller

Has anyone used the new Varizoom Stealth LANC controller? I was wondering if it's a good buy and if it works?