Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers

Old February 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #61
Trustee

The libec ZC-9EX is the same as the Libec ZC-9pro (i think that's what it was),with an adapter lead,i know because i tried both on my EX1 today,i used the same adapter lead with both controllers.Anyone out there with the ZC-9pro maybe able to buy just the lead,it's about 100mm.

Chris Hurd,I took some pics,how do i upload ?
Paul.
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #62
Trustee

Sussed it,here's the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1-libec-ex1-3-.jpg   Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1-libec-ex1-5-.jpg  

Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1-libec-ex1.jpg   Lanc Controller for the Canon XH A1-libec-ex1-8-.jpg  

Old March 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Manfrotto 523 PRO LANC controller

Yesterday I finally could pick up my brand new Manfrotto 503HDV+525 Tripod Kit. What a great piece of hardware to support the Canon XH-A1.

Just before they carried in the 503set from the back of the shop I saw the 501 head and thought: 'Wow, that 501 looks great and BIG!' 1,325 seconds later I realised I had ordered the big brother of the 501....

But now for my question:

The salesman could not share any experience with me about the 523Pro Lanc controller. He simply didn't know it....

So please, if anyone has experience with that Lanc controller, combined with the Canon XH-A1, please write a reply.
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:26 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert Kracht View Post
Yesterday I finally could pick up my brand new Manfrotto 503HDV+525 Tripod Kit. What a great piece of hardware to support the Canon XH-A1.

Just before they carried in the 503set from the back of the shop I saw the 501 head and thought: 'Wow, that 501 looks great and BIG!' 1,325 seconds later I realised I had ordered the big brother of the 501....

But now for my question:

The salesman could not share any experience with me about the 523Pro Lanc controller. He simply didn't know it....

So please, if anyone has experience with that Lanc controller, combined with the Canon XH-A1, please write a reply.
I have the same head and I LOVE it. I also have used the 523PRO controller and love it as well. Everything that was stated on this thread is true. Push AF does nothing regardless of shooting mode. I have used it mostly in AF mode. The variable speed zoom works wonderfully. I know it's a lot more expensive than the clamp on controllers, but I feel it is definitely worth it. It looks much cleaner, and although I have not used any other controller, I could use all functions (except PAF) instantly as though it were second nature. Very easy to use and well built. If you have the means, go for it.
Ray Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:37 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Thanks for the positive news Ray. I'm already looking around for the best price dealer (the price is about 300 to 350 Euro over here) and I may order it very soon.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:15 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Gert I bought a 523pro to use with my XHA1 it has three programmable zoom speeds a record start stop button an on/off button two manual focus buttons and a a/f button unfortunate the instant a/f button does not work with the XHA1 apart from that it works fine. I use mine on a Cartoni Focus head and the arm that comes with the 523pro does not fit the focus so I had a spigot turned out of 1 inch diametre aluminium bar 3 inches long. One end was turned down to the same diametre as my tripod head arm and the other end drilled out to suit the 523pro arm when that was done I drilled a hole through the side of the spigot with the 523 arm inserted and tapped a suitable size roll pin in to stop the arm coming out. Hope this is of help.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM   #67
Major Player

have the same issue with my xl1-s.....i think that is a canon issue.
b&h had different pan handle diameter (have a miller tripod)
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM   #68
Regular Crew

zoom control

I have a 521 Pro and I can figure out how to set the zoom control for an XHA-1 . I just seem to be stuck with a very slow zoom. Where can I find a manual for this?

Thanks
Tim
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #69
Tourist

LANC to Firewire for Canon

Hey all,
Experience shooter, but have an interesting question:

Given that the Console software can control virtually any parameter of the Canon XH line via Firewire, wouldn't it stand to reason that there could be a LANC to Firewire adapter constructed that would allow me to use the Foxi controller to run my focus and iris while I had a separate zoom controller?

Thanks!
Tim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #70
Inner Circle

Hi Tim.......

Er, you want to run that by us again, I've read your post at least 6 times and it still doesn't make any sense (to me).

What's a "Foxi Controller" for starters?

What are you ultimately trying to achieve, as it sound like you must have 4 hands available with all these button boxes you're describing?

Ahem, "a Lanc to Firewire" adapter - dream on (tho' I can "just" imagine a dual camera setup where that might "just" work, tho' what you'd gain on the swings.....).

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,

I think I understand your question.
First of all, I have the software and yes you van controll many parts of the camera with it. But, it is not realtime. Because there is a HDV signal running through that port, the rest is put on top of that, and I think it has a low priority within that connection. When I want to change the zoom or other functions of the camera remotely, it has a little delay.

Technicaly spoken I think it's possible to make such a device. But then you have to learn to work with that delay and I don't know if you will like to have that in a 'real time' situation.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #72
New Boot

Lanc and XH-A1

What Lanc controller works with the Xh-A1? I tried two cheaper units that were stated to work with all Sony and Canon camcorders. They didn't work at all with the Canon, but worked perfectly with a Sony.
Michael Krawchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #73
Regular Crew

I used the Bogen 521. Bogen's most basic unit but was awesome. Worked very well.
Michael Chenoweth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #74
Major Player

I have both the Canon ZR1000 (which I bought years ago for use with my Sony PD 150) and the Canon ZR2000 which I got for my XH A1.

I shoot mostly single camera, live event stuff, so zooming, reframing and trying to keep focus on the new subject is the name of the game.

Here's the interesting thing. While both controllers work on the XH, I prefer the 1000 to the newer 2000 despite the latter having features specifically for the XH. With the 1000 I can use the lanc to zoom and then use the camera's "push AF" button to focus simultaneously while zooming. With the ZR2000 it seems the camera's "push AF" button is disabled so zooming and refocusing automatically is impossible. I don't really know if this a fault with either my camera or ZR2000. Perhaps because this controller also has a "push AF" button thats just the way it is. Anyway, after trying and failing to get a definitive answer from Canon on this and because I only discovered after warranties had expired, I just let it be and now use the ZR1000. Annoying to purchase the new controller for about $400 and let it sit there but thats how it goes sometimes.

My point is if zooming/refocusing at the same time matters to your work, check to make sure whatever you buy will allow that.

I would be curious to know if other XH A1, ZR2000 owners have the same results as I do.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #75
Trustee

I've had the VariZoom VZRock for over a year which works well but only provides basic functionality (start/stop, focus, zoom). To be honest, I'm sometimes bad with documentation and really haven't read the VZRock instructions more than when I first got it. I can't say if the other buttons on the controller do anything because I haven't tried them. My bad.

One thing I don't like about the VZRock is that the zoom speed works in steps. They are closely spaced steps but it's too easy to have a smooth zoom go all pear shaped because my palsied hands can't hold it steadily. It also invokes variable speed even when the cam is set to a constant zoom setting, but that may be the way LANC works in the Canon.

I will give full marks to the durability of the thing. Whilst shooting the Oxford 250 race, there were multiple prolonged rain delays and during one of which the plastic rubbish bag I had over the tripod blew off and the VZ got a full soaking for nearly an hour. The VZ was full of water. I took it apart and quickly dried the components and it all worked except for the start/stop function. Once home, I disassembled it again and did a full dry and clean and all functionality returned. That was last July and it hasn't put a foot wrong since. Bloody solid unit. Next, I'll run over it with my car... kidding.

There might be better units out there, but the VZRock is quite brilliant.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Remote Lens Controllers