Shoulder Mount EX Next? 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old May 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoulder Mount EX Next? 2

Living on the other side of the planet means that to buy a shoulder mount for my EX-1 from B&H Photo, or any of the other suppliers mentioned in these forums would cost me an arm and a leg, and that doesn't include the shipping charges. So I made my own. All up, including all materials and cost of bending shoulder bracket and powder coating, the mount only cost me $100 (and the aluminum was free - found in the engineering shop bin).
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Great work Shaun. I am just up the road in Newcastle. I have the cheap Indian shoulder mount, but yours looks better.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Excellent, Shaun.

This is an example of what I meant in another thread, writing about shouldermounts / shooting styles that allow using the EVF instead of the LCD, which - in very bright sunlight coming from behind - can be completely useless due to reflections.

I'm using my PAG Orbitor and/or "El Cheapo" shouldermounts in exactly the same fashion (the latter with Manfrotto QR adapter mounted directly on the main pedestal, with the support removed). The extra bonus being that the camera CoG is closer to your body, thus feeling even lighter.

If only the EVF was of the Xtrafine resolution, as found on the Z7!

PS. Serena and Mike, do you know what I mean now?
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Great work Shaun. I am just up the road in Newcastle. I have the cheap Indian shoulder mount, but yours looks better.
Thanks Graeme. We should meet.I am looking for other EX-1 operators for a project I am working on on the Coast
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Serena and Mike, do you know what I mean now?
Piotr, Of course I know what you mean. Shoulder mounts have been around for a long time. I used them shooting 16mm back in the 70s. And since. There are many designs and I doubt that you can imagine a shooting position I haven't used. Unfortunately you don't understand what we've been telling you, which is possibly a Polish/English translation problem. The LCD with hood and eypiece can be used on a shoulder mount, whether the sun is behind you or where-ever. But you are stubborn. You will note in Shaun's photo that he is looking at the LCD.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Wearing a large sombrero might fix the problem.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
The LCD with hood and eypiece can be used on a shoulder mount, whether the sun is behind you or where-ever. But you are stubborn. You will note in Shaun's photo that he is looking at the LCD.
You are right Serena. I have a Petrol hood on the LCD. I thought about making the mount so that I could also use the EVF, but it's such a bad monitor I never use it. Piotr, I have found that if I have sunlight hitting the LCD whilst on the sticks I position my body to shield the viewfinder (or contort my body in such a way that I can tilt the viewfinder downwards and still see it)
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Great work! Just pad that shoulder!
Mike Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Could you please send more pictures. I will definitely try to do the same thing !
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
Thanks Graeme. We should meet.I am looking for other EX-1 operators for a project I am working on on the Coast
Hi Shaun,

Pete McMurray has an EX-1, I'll let him know your on the lookout.

Welcome to DVInfo - small world
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
Hi Shaun,

Pete McMurray has an EX-1, I'll let him know your on the lookout.

Welcome to DVInfo - small world
Thanks Paul. Already got him in mind.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Could you please send more pictures. I will definitely try to do the same thing !
Will do Sebastie. Just waiting for the next few days work to finish then I will post some more photos with more details of the build
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:14 AM   #13
Trustee

Hey Shaun,
I have been looking at building the same thing for the Z1.
How does it handle? can you use the eye piece? What about getting on to a tripod in a hurry?
Look forward to more photos.
Cheers
Simon

Last edited by Simon Denny; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
How does it handle? can you use the eye piece? What about getting on to a tripod in a hurry?
The problem with using the eye piece on shoulder mounts without any front support is that - since the camera needs to be offset to the left so that the typical, handycam-style EVF can be put against your right eye socket - the created moment of gravity will make it unstable, and put an even greater burden on your right (supporting) arm.

Therefore, when I plan to use the eyepiece, I am using either the PAG Orbitor, or my (modified) "El Cheapo" shoulder support. Both have front support against your waist belt or abdomen. See here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....9&postcount=17

The other question is easier - it's enough to mount a QR plate adapter on the shoulder mount, using the same plate as your tripod.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Shaun
I might be available depending upon the project and timing, although I'm in Bowral
Send an Email
Cheers
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports