DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   CB105 Review (counter balance shoulder mount) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/120091-cb105-review-counter-balance-shoulder-mount.html)

Joel L. Young April 23rd, 2008 08:41 AM

CB105 Review (counter balance shoulder mount)

CB105 CB-105 CB 105

dynamicmotionvideo.com

Instructional video: youtube.com/watch?v=DvGXTdG2LF0
Demo: youtube.com/watch?v=7MuqfmLZinU

I've been meaning to write a review for this product ever since I got it, but I held off to get a little more familiar with it. I am using this with a Sony A1u & HC1. My first time using it was on a real estate virtual tour demo and I actually tweaked my back the day before. I was still able to shoot for a long time (this was a big house) without any severe pain. I thought the shots were pretty smooth. Just like any equipment practice is the key. As a static or near static shot it's instant results. Put it on your shoulder and it's a solid shot. The CB105 isn't tight on your shoulder, so angling up or down is great. It's so much faster than using a tripod (not saying it will replace a tripod, but I use it instead of a tripod in a lot of shots I would have used a tripod before.) The running or gliding type movement shots, using the handle, is where you will want some practice.

The two biggest things I found that could be improved on is the bolt connecting the camera to the CB105 and the counter balance weight (which won't be a problem at all for people with cameras larger than mine.) With the CB105 comes a baggy with a bolt and a washer. A flat head screw drive fits the bolt. I would love to see some setup where this bolt can stay attached to the CB105 while the camera is not attached. I envision something welded to the bottom so the bolt sticks up through and the camera will pull onto the brace as bolt is tightened. While the camera is not attached the bolt would turn freely. Sort of like the attachment piece on a tripod. An easy improvement I made was ran up to the hardware store and picked up a bolt similar in size, but has a flat head to it. Looks like a bolt with a nickel attached to the head. This way I don't have to pull out the screw driver. It would be nice if these were included and maybe a few replacement bolts since they are easy to lose. The other thing is my cameras are lighter than some other ones and I am thinking about drilling some holes into the weight in the back. This would be a good option when ordering. In the instructional video it says to slide the CB105 all the way back, but for my camera that is not balanced. It does feel a little better to have it all the way back though since you can feel the brace a little more.
I just got two tape adapters (HC1-shim) and they work well with the CB105. The HC1-shim actually improves replacing the battery on the CB105 because I use the middle HC1-shim placement which allows it to swivel when the bolt is loosened, so I don't actually take the camera completely off during a gig. It also adds a little weight to the camera which balances it out a little better.
The only other problem I have had with it is people coming up to me asking about it while I'm trying to shoot. That's sort of a joke. I have had a lot of people ask about it and clients compliment it after seeing some footage. I do recommend this piece of equipment. I was considering the spider brace, but went with this and I am happy with my decision.

hands are free to control camera functions
made solid
handle to use for non shoulder shots
inexpensive
being able to set my camera down easily

Improvements:
attaching and releasing
mod for smaller cameras

Randy Wimberg May 23rd, 2008 01:03 PM

review of CB105

Joel,
How much does this device weigh? - I'm shooting with the EX-1 and it sounds like it might be a good solution to steady moving shots.

Dave Uriarte July 2nd, 2008 05:42 PM

Anyone know where these can be purchased? The links on their webpage take you to an expired eBay listing.

Dan Gunn July 3rd, 2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Uriarte (Post 902403)
Anyone know where these can be purchased? The links on their webpage take you to an expired eBay listing.

At the bottom on the splash page of his website is his email addresss. He is a very nice guy and provides a great product at a very reasonable price. I just bought his last one (my second) but he said 75 more were on the way to his place.

Dave Blackhurst July 11th, 2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Uriarte (Post 902403)

Just search eBay - there's usually a listing or two, (unless they are out of stock, I guess)

Joe Lawry July 11th, 2008 11:45 PM

I bought one of these awhile back - love the thing, modded it as soon as i got it by attaching the slide plate from the top of a Miller DS head, makes the whole unit so much better than trying to use it with that stupid screw. Will post some pics sometime.

Ronnie Martin September 5th, 2008 12:48 PM

I also bought one. However, it will not work with the EX-1 if you want to look through the eyepiece. It needs an offset to the left. When I tried to contact him by e-mail he it was no longer valid. When I went on E-bay to look for a way to contact him I could not find any info on his contact information.

My problem shooting with the fold out viewfinder is that many times the sun is to my back and focus with the ex is so critical that I miss it. A hood dosent really help either.

Ronnie Martin
Page 1

Jon Sands October 12th, 2008 10:18 PM

Can you use the lcd on the ex1 when its on the shoulder mount? I'm thinking of ordering one for my ex1, but I'm not sure what the distance from my eye to the lcd will be.

Ronnie Martin October 13th, 2008 08:52 AM

The problem with using the fold out LCD is that in bright sunlight it is worthless for accurate focus. If the CB105 had a bracket that would shift the camera to the left about 3-4 inches then you could use either the LCD or the eye piece.

Are the CB105s back on the market? I have tried to contact the maker several times and his e-mail address no longer works. His website is still up but no telephone humbers. I am thinking of either modifying the 105 or just chunking it and going to the one at studio 1. I have seen it on the vortex EX-1 video .

Thanks

Ronnie