DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   For those who have a DVMulti Rig... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/125982-those-who-have-dvmulti-rig.html)

Michael Liebergot July 15th, 2008 09:47 AM

For those who have a DVMulti Rig...

For those who have a DVMulti Rig, I have one thing to say....

Get the Tripod Docking Bracket RIGHT NOW!

This was the missing link, which makes the DVMulti Rig the BEST camera support out there.
It's built great, and will enable you to mount your ENTIRE rig on your tripod in a matter of seconds.
And unlike their last solution for a tripod adapter, this one will keep your rig perfectly balanced and stable on your tripod.

Now you can shoot that processional with your fully loaded camera (shotgun mic, wireless, hard drive recorder, light, LANC remote) and go to your preset tripod for easy blazing transfer to your tripod, and shoot the remainder of the ceremony from there.

Need to go back to rig mode, no problem, loosen the bracket support and snap back on the 2 section support pod, and your off.

Great job Danny!

Chris Li July 16th, 2008 07:16 PM

No more jiggle or using wine corks ? I gave up using my multi rig pro on a tripod. Is this the answer to my prayers for a solid, stable tripod support ?

Michael Wisniewski July 16th, 2008 10:46 PM

I prefer using a quick release adapter: one for the DVMultiRig and one for the tripod - (here's an example). It's simpler, and most importantly, much more stable.

Michael Liebergot July 17th, 2008 07:16 AM

Michael, I also have the QR assembly on my Multi Rig. but trust me when I say that you will not need to remove your camera to place it on a tripod.

The new Tripod Adapter Plate, lets you mount your unit on your tripod, much quicker than removing your camera and placing it on a tripod. And it i just as stable.
Th eonly time that I need to remove my camera via the QR assembly now, is when putting the camera away, or removing the camera to be placed on a monopod for high overhead shots. Besides these moments, I can keep my camera attached to the rig all day long.

No wiggle like what was experienced before. It's rock solid on your tripod, just like as if your camera mounted via QR plate.

The plate stays attached to your tripod (via QR plate on bottom), and the DVMulti Rig simply gets placed in the adapter plate and you tighten the tension knob on the front to secure it firmly in the adapter.

Oh and also there is a little post on the rear of the adapter that fits perfectly into the slit on the multi rig for added security.

Danny did a lot of thinking with this one.
And nice indeed.

Michael Liebergot July 17th, 2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Li (Post 908423)
No more jiggle or using wine corks ? I gave up using my multi rig pro on a tripod. Is this the answer to my prayers for a solid, stable tripod support ?

Chris the answer is yes, no more jiggle.
And you can mount your entire rig on a tripod on 10 seconds, I timed myself. The longest part of the transfer is removing the quick release support pod, which is much faster and easier than the old way of screwing the pod in, btw.

Michael Liebergot July 17th, 2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski (Post 908497)
I prefer using a quick release adapter: one for the DVMultiRig and one for the tripod - (here's an example). It's simpler, and most importantly, much more stable.

As I said Michael, I also have a Bogen QR assembly on my Multi Rig, but I use the Bogen 577 QR assembly (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html) and 501 Long QR plate, as I have Bogen 501HDV fluid heads and like to be able to use the same QR plates for convenience.

Also my Bogen 561B fluid base monopod (with modified 701RC fluid head) takes the 577 QR plate as well.

Jason Robinson August 6th, 2008 11:36 AM

I just received my tripod adapter and also complete recommend the unit. Rock solid mounting to a tripod. You can even leave the front arm canted out to the right side of the unit in the held held position when you mount to the tripod adapter. The makes transfers so amazingly fast AND smooth. I just did it about 5 times in a row to get a feel for it. Tilt, fit tab into slot, tilt, and tighten. So fast. Then I panned around and there is none of the slack that was present using the cludgy tripod adapter mounted to the front arm folded under the unit.

Potentially the best purchase ever for the multirig.

Michael Liebergot August 6th, 2008 03:41 PM

Jason, glad to hear the good experience.

I got to use it in the field this past weekend and loved it.

Made it uber easy to mount and dismount my rig from my tripod as well as stay rock solid, with no hiccup.

As I said before, with the addition of the Quick Release Support Pod, and the new Tripod Adater, the rig really rocks.

BTW, after using the rig for 3 years, I figured out a new way to shoot handheld with and without the support pod and got great steady footage.

I use the rig in handheld mode (handles down) and have the shoulder mount fully attached.

While the front two grips are turned down and turned outwards to their normal position for handheld, I turn the shoulder support bar downwards towards the floor and turn the shoulder support inwards towards the right front grip, almost touching the front right grip (forming a 'U').

I then shoot handheld holding bth front grips, but also rest my right elbow against the shoulder support. This keeps my arms inwards and prevent my right arm from moving.

I got some great moving camera shots with the support pod, and even better without the support pod.

Pretty cool.

Jason Robinson August 6th, 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 917352)
I got some great moving camera shots with the support pod, and even better without the support pod.
Pretty cool.

I found that moving shots with the support pod attached are even less smooth than with the pod attached. I guess it doesn't eliminate enough of the bouncing from up and down movements. Unfortunately, I have a version of the support pod before the quick release, so I will still have to screw / un screw to remove / mount the rig onto a tripod.

Michael Liebergot August 7th, 2008 06:56 AM

Jason, I would highly look into either getting the new rig (there are some improvements), or at least picking up the new QR support pod, which I am told (according to Danny) can be used with the original DVMulti Rig.