DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/278544-stabilizers-pods-sticks-etc-xha1s.html)

Alex DeJesus August 14th, 2009 02:44 PM

Stabilizers, Pods, Sticks, etc. for XHA1s

I have a bad back and cannot get comfortable hand-holding the XH. In the hopes of a low-cost stabilizing solution, I recently purchased a SteddiePod by BarberTech, an Atlas Camera Support, and a WristShot, which are all pretty cool in some ways. But, so far they all stink as stabilizers. For example, the Atlas Atlas Camera Support System: A Simple, Affordable Camera Stabilization System looks like a fishing rod suspended over the shoulder. It takes all the weight off and I can walk around all day without a sweat. The problem is that whenever I move, I may as well suspend the camera from a Slinky.

Since this forum section is specific to the XHA1, I was wondering what experiences you guys may have with such gadgets. I work alone with 2 cameras and I have tripods for both, but I want to be mobile with one. I have a wedding next week and I'm starting to worry. I had no problems with my old XL1 sitting on the shoulder.

Vasco Dones August 14th, 2009 04:39 PM

Alex,

I have an XH-A1 and a bad back as well
(and I'm also over 50 and badly out of shape)
and so far the best, cheapest
and most useful contraption I've found is the
Spiderbrace: amazingly lightweight and stable,
and it's only $70.
I've added a Libec ZC-3DV LANC controller (around $130)
and a Manfrotto/Bogen quick release adapter ($50).

Best

Vasco

Alex DeJesus August 14th, 2009 05:18 PM

Spider brace

I haven't tried a shoulder mount, yet

Denys Pyevtsov August 16th, 2009 03:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I use a DIY "shoulder mount". Here some "in acton" pics:

Kees van Duijvenbode August 17th, 2009 01:00 AM

I have tried all kinds off (cheap, homemade) shouldermounts and none of them lasted. Now for the A1 I mainly use a tripod, a monopod and a spiderbrace (with a LANC controller). All with QR adapters for quick changing. And when I want gliding shots I use my homemade rig with the HV30 and deshake the footage in post. Works like a charm.

Ann Bens August 23rd, 2009 11:19 AM

I kind of like the FigRig. Well not the real one. A friend called Jo made on for me so we call it the JoRig. I used to use it with my old Sony 2100 but i still need a good lanc for the A1...
I mainly use a heavy tripod. But for travelling i use a lightweight tripod which i also use as monopod and sometimes stick the legs in my belt.

Jo Ouwejan January 21st, 2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Bens (Post 1259708)
I kind of like the FigRig. Well not the real one. A friend called Jo made on for me so we call it the JoRig. I used to use it with my old Sony 2100 but i still need a good lanc for the A1...

She is talking about me . . . (blush)
So Ann, does the Wako Lanc not work on the A1? It works fine on my Sony FX1000. It fits on the hoop of the JoRig and it is real cheap.