DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   Shape Composite F3 Handheld Rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/499974-shape-composite-f3-handheld-rig.html)

Jeremy Spruston August 24th, 2011 10:39 AM

Shape Composite F3 Handheld Rig

Hey guys,

Anyone tried out the Shape Composite rig? I've had it recommended to me by a company up here in Canada and it seems pretty good from the videos I've been able to hunt down.

COMPOSITE F3

Here's a couple of videos I found of it at NAB -

Shape F3 Shoulder Mount Rig - Cinegear 2011 - YouTube
Shape - Sony F3 - Composite Rig - NAB 2011 - YouTube

Any thoughts?

John Cummings August 24th, 2011 07:00 PM

Re: Shape Composite F3 Handheld Rig

I can't speak about the composite rig, but I have a pair of their double quick handles and they are a fine piece of well-engineered gear.

Greg Penetrante August 24th, 2011 07:58 PM

I own one. So far it has been a good experience. My only concern is there is only one screw holding on the F3 to the base. They need to include another one. But so far, having just one screw securing the F3, it hasn't been working loose. I agree with the other poster; the handles are impressive, almost as good as the Oconnor Ogrips.

best regards

Jeremy Spruston August 25th, 2011 01:44 PM

That's great news - thanks for the feedback guys. They look really well built in the videos.

Steve Strickle September 3rd, 2011 11:13 AM

I have a version of this... used a Zacuto baseplate with Shape handles and shoulder pad.

Works great!

Chris Medico September 4th, 2011 07:38 AM

How is the balance of the rig?

I've been looking at it but wondering if the weight was more forward than desirable. Especially if there is a heavy lens on the front.

How far back can you get the camera?

Greg Penetrante September 5th, 2011 11:08 AM

Hi Chris,

The rig does lean a little bit towards front-heaviness because the shoulder pad does not travel sufficiently forward enough (unlike the Berkey systems baseplate/shoulder pad combo) towards the rig's CG.
BUT, because the rig has option for a counterweight and/or a front waist-support extension rod, Shape have ameliorated the problem to a good extent.

best,
-Greg

Chris Medico September 6th, 2011 08:55 AM

Thanks Greg,

I expected that to be the case. I prefer to have the camera a bit further back to help balance. Some of the lenses I'll be using after a decent EF mount comes out will make it quite front heavy. The old (but quite nice) FD glass I'm using now is light in comparison.

Eric Wright June 21st, 2012 07:14 AM

Hey guys, any more news about this thing or any newer rigs out there in a similar price range. I've just picked up a F3 and Im currently shopping for a decent shoulder rig.

This Shape Composite F3 seems to be a great deal but there are very few reviews or opinions on it.

Thanks, and by the way Im new to the board. My name is Eric.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric Wright June 27th, 2012 05:57 AM

Hmm. Hate to be a double post foul king on only my second outing, but...Anyone? Sorry

Thanks,

Eric

Matthias Sachal February 17th, 2013 10:41 AM

Ive tried it out once. Real good and comfortable gear for a reasonable price. I also own other accessories by Shape, rock solid stuff. I myself use a Tilta Baseplate, because of the cheaper price point, but I have the Shape Handles.