DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   New Shoulder Mount (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/502405-new-shoulder-mount.html)

Randy Johnson November 6th, 2011 07:35 PM

New Shoulder Mount

Canon Ikan Stealth-ENG EV2 Shoulder Mount System

What do you think?

Robert John February 11th, 2012 01:37 PM

Re: New Shoulder Mount

I just ordered one of these for my XF300. I will let you know how I like it. It won't arrive until the end of next week.

Maurizio Panella February 12th, 2012 04:15 AM

I'd like to know your opinion Robert

Robert John February 25th, 2012 11:03 PM

I got the new shoulder mount. I love it. You can adjust it so you can use your EVF. I will post a full review with photos soon.

Sanjin Svajger February 26th, 2012 03:54 AM

I don't get it: why not just use the side handle of the camera? Why use a grip in front of it? Don't get it... I've seen this on many shoulder rigs, but it really would make much more sense to just hold the camera where it's meant to be held. I've got a CVP shoulder mount and I use it by holding the camera on it's grip. I removed the bottom thingy that jabs into your stomach and added a few weights to the back and whoila - it's much more similar to an ENG camera. I will ad some rails to it so I can ad a V-lock battery to the back instead of using dead weight. Also I will move the camera more to the back so it isn't in front of me and add an EVF from SmallHD so I can monitor and use the EVF as another contact point.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index...shoulder_mount

Robert John February 26th, 2012 07:11 PM

My Ikan Stealth Shoulder mount Review.

My Canon Ikan Stealth-ENG EV2 Review

Robert John February 26th, 2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1717322)
I don't get it: why not just use the side handle of the camera? Why use a grip in front of it? Don't get it... I've seen this on many shoulder rigs, but it really would make much more sense to just hold the camera where it's meant to be held. I've got a CVP shoulder mount and I use it by holding the camera on it's grip. I removed the bottom thingy that jabs into your stomach and added a few weights to the back and whoila - it's much more similar to an ENG camera. I will ad some rails to it so I can ad a V-lock battery to the back instead of using dead weight. Also I will move the camera more to the back so it isn't in front of me and add an EVF from SmallHD so I can monitor and use the EVF as another contact point.

CVP SM1 Shoulder mount camcorder support bracket system - Ideal for most handheld DV / HDV camcorders

Hi Sanjin,

With the kind of shooting I do is the reason that they make shoulder rigs with handles. Sometimes I'm hand held for 2 hours shooting with a fully loaded rig. Pros have been using them for years. I set my rig up with dual handles. I know camera men who prefer one handle I prefer two. Handles give much more stability than just holding the camera.

Not everyone needs a shoulder rig. It depends on the kind of shooting you do. When shooting action, having handles is a huge help especially when your rig is loaded up with Matt Box, filters, Receivers, Batteries, Lights, Follow focus.

Over the past 30 years shooting with different cameras and all kinds of setups in all kinds of conditions handles work best for me. Also with my rig I can use the EVF that is built into the XF series camera as you can offset the camera on the shoulder mount so the EVF lines up with your eye. I don't have to buy another EVF.

I would be curious to see the CVP SM1 Shoulder mount fully loaded. I know I have never seen anything like that being used in TV,Film or Documentary. I'm not putting it down at all, it just looks a little light weight for the kind of shooting that I and others I know do. If the CVP SM1 Shoulder mount works for you, that is what counts.

Maurizio Panella February 27th, 2012 03:57 PM

Thanks Rob

Randy Johnson February 27th, 2012 05:05 PM

I got one and I love it, Theres more than one reason to get a shoulder mount than just hand held work. Mounting batteries wirelesses plus true long form hand held work. If it were JUST hand held work with a small camera id just buy a mono pod.

Robert John February 27th, 2012 07:19 PM

I totally agree with you Randy.

Sanjin Svajger February 28th, 2012 03:16 AM

@Robert, yes immediately after I wrote that I figured that when using alot of accessories the handles do come in handy. I still don't appreciate the camera being in front of you and especially not directly in front of your face. IMHO that's just wrong:) The camera should be on your side and moved a little to the back. Off course for this kind of setup you would need and extra EVF such as the SmallHD EVF, or a Cineroid...

I must admit that I had an ENG type of shooting in mind though not narrative. For ENG I think it would make more sense to make a rig as I suggested. Right hand on the zoom rocker and the left hand on focus and/or zoom ring. It's all there and it would be a shame to not use it like that in a ENG situation.
But for narrative where you probably wont zoom in and out during a shot and probably wont focus during a shot this is off course not needed. Then again even in narrative situation you probably will have to use focus in the middle of a shot. Then you would have to move one hand from the grip to the focus ring and this would probably introduce unwanted motion to the camera. But if you know that the shot is going to require an focus adjustment beforehand than you can prepare by putting one hand on the focus ring from the get go. This is assuming that you don't have an extra solution for focusing on the handles...

Cameras such as the XF300 are half way there to being an ENG capable camera. Putting them on a rig like this defeats the purpose. It adds weight, it becomes more bulky and there's just more work to be done around it.

Robert John February 28th, 2012 05:06 AM

Sanjin,

I can do it your way with right hand on the zoom rocker and the left hand on focus and/or zoom ring. No problem, I just push to thumb screws and off comes my handle setup as one unit. Comes off in seconds. So I can have both setups when I choose. I'm not limited at all. I can loosen 2 thumb screws and shoulder part slips right off. No tools needed. And with my base plate mounted to the bottom it slips right onto the Tripod.

Sanjin Svajger February 28th, 2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert John (Post 1717687)
Sanjin,

I can do it your way with right hand on the zoom rocker and the left hand on focus and/or zoom ring. No problem, I just push to thumb screws and off comes my handle setup as one unit. Comes off in seconds. So I can have both setups when I choose. I'm not limited at all. I can loosen 2 thumb screws and shoulder part slips right off. No tools needed. And with my base plate mounted to the bottom it slips right onto the Tripod.

If I understand you correctly this would leave you with only the camera with rails in your hands without any shoulder support?

Robert John February 28th, 2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1717690)
If I understand you correctly this would leave you with only the camera with rails in your hands without any shoulder support?

Yes. It leaves just the camera mounted to the base and rails.

Sanjin Svajger February 29th, 2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert John (Post 1717762)
Yes. It leaves just the camera mounted to the base and rails.

Well that defeats the whole purpose now doesn't it:) and it's not what we are talking about definitely not my way...

Forget about it. Happy shooting with your new rig!

Br
S