DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Shoulder & Handheld Supports (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/)
-   -   DvRigPro mod for lefties (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/shoulder-handheld-supports/53137-dvrigpro-mod-lefties.html)

Tom Tomkowiak October 21st, 2005 03:02 PM

DvRigPro mod for lefties

I purchased the DvRigPro without the benefit of having used one, or for that matter, never even saw one other than in pictures. No dealers within a few hundred miles. So, the first time I actually saw and tried the rig was after I bought one and it was delivered here by UPS.

I planned to use the DivRig at an upcoming job, but after tinkering off and on for three days with the rig, it just wasn't working for me. Trying every possible combination of adjustments and camera positions, I just couldn't get it to consistently hang right.

On day 4 it occurred to me that maybe I could move the shoulder brace from the right side to the left side. Within about 10 minutes and using only a phillips head screwdriver, I had the rig apart and back together as a lefty. I mounted up and was amazed -- the camera stayed perfectly centered, even while walking & hands off the handles.

So, for this left-handed person, moving the shoulder support to the left side helped a whole lot and even had some unexpected additional benefits.

If anyone needs details on what I did, just post here and I'll list the steps.

The happy ending is that I did take the DvRigPro to the job, and it performed exactly as expected. Glad I got it.

Danny Natovich October 24th, 2005 11:12 AM

Very interesting Tom,

Can you mail me few photos of your conversion.

natovich@inter.net.il

Danny Natovich
DvTec

Tom Tomkowiak October 24th, 2005 04:36 PM

Hi Danny,

I thought this little mod might get your attention.

For anyone else who would like a visual, I don’t have a web site for posting pictures. Then again, there’s not really much to see. The shoulder brace is simply on the left side of the rig, rather than the right. No structural modifications. (See the second to last paragraph below.)

However, placing it on the opposite side creates some interesting changes.

The DvRigPro brace is shaped and angled not only to fit on the right shoulder, but it’s also contoured to fit by the neck. So, when it’s placed on the left shoulder, the shape, angle and contour are all wrong. It even looks wrong (so I’ve been told). But, for me, a left-hander, it works great.

Another advantage is that I can easily and quickly remove the camera from the rig by putting my hand through the VX2100’s hand strap on the right, pull out the camera, then slide it on a tripod. I couldn’t do it with the shoulder brace on the right. (That’s what initially got me to thinking about moving the brace to the opposite side.)

Finally, because of the way the brace is angled to fit on the right shoulder, placing it on the left shoulder aims the whole rig chasis about 20-degees left. So, instead of standing square to whatever I’m shooting, my body is positioned at a slight angle to the subject. This not only feels like a more stable position, it also forces me to walk kind of sideways to keep the camera pointing straight ahead. This right foot over left foot stride seems to produce more of a gliding motion with the camera and less of the small but noticeable bounce I got with the rig while walking “normal.” Of course, if I ever had to run with the tape rolling, I’d be screwed. :-{

I considered taking the brace out to the garage, putting it in a vice, and bending it enough so the camera would point straight ahead. But, not knowing how much strain the metal can take before cracking, I decided against that.

Danny, if you ever decide to make an optional left-shouldered brace, I’ll be happy to field test it for you.

Tom T.

Danny Natovich October 24th, 2005 04:50 PM

Thanks Tom,

Many Lefties would appreciate it if you send me some photos, I will put them on dvtec.tv for everybody.

Danny Natovich
DvTec

Bryan McCullough October 25th, 2005 08:55 AM

I'm a lefty and would love to see some pics.

Tom Tomkowiak October 26th, 2005 06:49 AM

OK, due to overwhelming pressure from this forum, I sent Danny some pictures.

Graham Bernard October 26th, 2005 09:00 AM

Danny, I would like a shorter range support for my DvRigPro. The one that gets shipped is great, but I've now developed a type if informal interviewing t4chnique that allows me to look over the camera and nod at the respondent. To do this I need to lock down the support way down - I was hoping that you would supply a support, say, that was the same length expanded, as the existing one is locked down. This would allow me to have thew rig operating at a lower height. Now THAT would be brilliant!

The DVRigPro, is totally awesone! I've used it now on several gigs and used in conjunction with the ManFrotto 521 Pro LANC PLUIS my monitor, it is one heluva option - I look like RoBoRig! !

So, Danny, how about it?

Graham "Grazie" Bernard

Danny Natovich October 26th, 2005 01:51 PM

Graham,

How much shorter do you think you need ?

Danny.

**** Tom's Lefties modification can be found at the bottom of the DvRigPro. page. at www.dvtec.tv