Allen Wrench holder attachement for rig? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports

Old January 1st, 2020, 10:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Allen Wrench holder attachement for rig?

Without explanation: Anyone know of a simple way to attach an allen wrench to a piece of equipment? More permanent that a piece of tape.

With Explanation:
Hi folks. Over the years I've collected 4 different handheld rig setups. 3 that are were fairly budget like and one fancy custom built one that was so damn heavy I can barely use it. For run and gun (I don't exactly do the kind of shooting that has a first AC {or any AC}) it's murder on the body.

Anyway, believe it or not my favorite is pre-cage and all that. It's this oldish foldable Neweer rig (see image attached). Love the damn thing. Anyway, It hasn't ever been a huge problem but it absolutely needs an allen wrench to adjust a few elements. While I've always had one in my production backpack, I'd LOVE it if there was some way to have a super simply setup that had an allen wrench attached. Just a little plastic nub to slide it into or something. I could keep it on the bottom underneath the baseplate or something. Something snugly attached so it isn't swinging around while I'm moving and creating sound or additional slight tremors.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen Wrench holder attachement for rig?-screen-shot-2020-01-01-8.24.27-pm.jpg  
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 04:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Allen Wrench holder attachement for rig?

It depends on the size of the Allen key as to whether you could buy a spring clip small enough for it (the ones I'm thinking of are called Terry clips here), but this might be a good use for some Sugru to make a rubber clip, maybe even one that will pop into one of the holes in the rig if you're good enough with the Sugru. Good luck!
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dave. I don't have the millimeter measurement but snapped this pic on the way out the door. Small size. Useful for bicycles and smaller pieces of film equipment I find. I'll look up Terry Clips now.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen Wrench holder attachement for rig?-20200102_094547.jpg  
Old January 2nd, 2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Drill a slightly undersized hole in a rubber block and cable tie that to the frame.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 09:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Forgive my ignorance, but can you buy small-ish rubber block materials?

Old January 2nd, 2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

how about super glueing a magnet? allen wrenches are made out of steel right?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:02 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but can you buy small-ish rubber block materials?

https://www.amazon.com/rubber-block/...c-20/din02c-20
It might be hard to buy one piece, but I'm sure you could buy a bag full of them. But it's more the kind of thing I'd salvage off something.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//eq...8-p-33912.aspx
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 07:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
how about super glueing a magnet? allen wrenches are made out of steel right?
I hadn't thought of that. That might work. This handheld rig is metal so as long as a magnet was strong (and assuming it would attract an Allen Wrench, I might not even need to super glue it. That's a really interesting idea I hadn't thought of.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Major Player

That's true. I can look around the house and see if I have anything available. Would be kind of silly to order a bunch of something I only need one of. The magnet idea might be a bit easier (if it works).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy View Post
It might be hard to buy one piece, but I'm sure you could buy a bag full of them. But it's more the kind of thing I'd salvage off something.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com//eq...8-p-33912.aspx
Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:16 PM   #10
Inner Circle

You can get magnets at Home Depot or any other hardware store. I’ve seen 3 types: super powerful ones size shape of coins, then the standard black ones for the refrigerator and finally soft flexible one in roll or sheet.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports