DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   KFC Contest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/14693-kfc-contest.html)

Dan Tolbertson September 24th, 2003 10:03 AM

They posted the three finalists on the KFC website this morning so at least you know if you are in the money bracket. I didn't make the cut but I was wondering if anyone who frequents the community made it to the final 3?

Robert Poulton September 24th, 2003 12:48 PM

nope. I didn't make it nor my friend. The one I like is the last one but the crappy video doesn't really help. Fishing. hehe.

Rob

Rob Belics September 24th, 2003 02:39 PM

My friend is Nathan Brown who finished in the top 3. He CGed the whale using Lightwave I think. Now he's trying to get people to vote. My son's PA'd some of his stuff. He's a good guy. Hope he wins.

Jim Wharton September 24th, 2003 04:31 PM

Shoot! I can't even watch them here at work. I'll check them out from home tonight.

Robert Poulton September 24th, 2003 05:24 PM

good. I will vote for him. That was the only one I enjoyed.

Rob

Mark Moore September 24th, 2003 05:33 PM

I'm glad someone here at least knows one of the finalists, but is it not a bit strange that they could go through all those videos and post finalists the next morning? Just seems a bit curious to me. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it seems a little too quick!

Regardless, good luck to your friend, Rob!

Jim Wharton September 24th, 2003 05:59 PM

You know, I was thinking the same thing......

Dan Tolbertson September 24th, 2003 06:04 PM

If they voted using punch cards we could always demand a recount.

Rob Belics September 24th, 2003 07:01 PM

BTW, his website is http://www.nathanpbrown.com

Mark Moore September 24th, 2003 08:28 PM

Well, I haven't seen his entry, but since he's a friend-of-a-dv-poster, then I hope he wins!

Matt Gettemeier September 26th, 2003 03:16 PM

Well kids it isn't EVEN CLOSE! Obviously, OBVIOUSLY Nathan's video gets it.

The "3 guys" is a moderately distant 2nd.

The little girl and little brother is straight-up home video. It's a fine effort, but not in the league of the others.

If I'd have done one it was going to be a couple thugs in a dark room with a guy tied in a chair under one hard light, alla interrogation style, with a bag taped over everything but his mouth. The two thugs would be just finishing a call that confirmed that they were finally going to get the ransom for their hostage. You notice that the two of them have been eating popcorn chicken and as they're getting happier about the money they take turns throwing pieces of chicken and thanking their "victim" from across the room and miraculously every shot lands right in the hostages mouth. He excitedly gulps 'em down. Then as the thugs put down their boxes and exclaim, "It's over kid, you're goin' home..." the kid starts reaching for the direction from whence the chicken came and keeps screaming, "NO, NOooooo!" Then you cut to a shot of the popcorn chicken in focus on the table as the thugs (blurry in the background) carry the guy out.

I call it "commercial noire".

Ok, the whale still would have won.

Robert Poulton September 29th, 2003 11:38 AM

KFC

Well since the voting is over and the results are already done. Here is my posting of my entry.
large one at 32Mb
www.frameworksstudio.com/images/KFC.mov
small one at 3Mb
www.frameworksstudio.com/images/KFC_small.mov

Rob

Rob Belics October 1st, 2003 09:29 AM

And the winner is...............Nathan Brown!

From Nathan:

"Our spot is going to air on primetime
network TV tomorrow night!!!!

Look for the "Big Fish" spot and local actors Geoff Pilkington and LaRoy
F. Smith tomorrow night on NBC during Scrubs and on FOX during the
baseball playoffs. It will air on both networks between 8 and 9 PM, and
I believe it they will air more around 8:45PM."

Depending on when you read this, tomorrow is October 2nd.

Rob Lohman October 6th, 2003 06:45 AM

Good news! Congrats from the DVi team. Perhaps he'd like to
write a little something here on his experiences with this?