DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Roadside Attractions (Short Film) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/33839-roadside-attractions-short-film.html)

Sean Doherty October 26th, 2004 12:38 AM

CJ,
My e-mail is sdientertainment@hotmail.com

Sean D.

Rob Lohman October 31st, 2004 06:38 AM

CJ: can you tell us a bit more about the actors and acting?

CJ Roy November 3rd, 2004 05:03 PM

Hey Rob,

The actors are mostly San Francisco based theater actors, except for Francis J. McGuire who played the lead, who is a Seattle based theater actor.

I like working with theater actors because they are quite used to exaggerating everything they do, for a live audience. In my opinion, it's easier to bring the energy level down, than up.

Francis J. McGuire a.k.a Frank (Walter) was a good friend of Scott Nordquist's. I hadn't met or auditioned Frank but just talked to him on a few really long phone conversations. He also looked exactly like my storyboard version of "Walter" that I had done a year prior. He seemed to understand the character very well. He didn't go for a creepy serial-killer act, he went for something that we could sort of sympathize with.

Scott Nordquist (Mullet #1) was cast first through auditions. He blew us all away with his take on the character. We were going for an over the top kind of white trash. The script described him as " a rejected Guitar Center employee with jeans and a tight Poison t-shirt."

Cody Carroll (Mullet #2) "same shirt, different album" blew us away in the auditions as well. His energy level was so high, that we knew he was the guy for the job. Also he came in full costume.

James Anne Farrell (Waitress) has been in all of my films so I always try to find a place for her. Aside from acting, she's a wonderfully talented make-up artist.

Tom Gander (Guy in the Trunk) was one of the producers of the film. Possibly one of the jolliest people you'd ever meet. He just had that great, pathetic look to him that really gave some comedic tones to the character.

Over all we had a hell of a lot of fun making this film. The crew, the actors and people in post. It was just a fun project to work on and the mood of the set was always light and fun. It was a "Oooh, we get to do that today!" kind of feeling. We only rehearsed two nights in between the weekend shoot.

If I left out anything important, let me know.

PS) The large versions of all the films on Arkhamfilms.com won't be up anytime soon due to the overwhelming traffic we've had in October. And already we're at twice our 100gig bandwidth limit for November.

-CJ
www.arkhamfilms.com

Rob Lohman November 4th, 2004 03:37 AM

Thanks for that CJ. I was interested to see if these where "real"
actors or just some people you knew. They did a fabalous job!

Good luck with all the bandwidth!

Jose di Cani November 5th, 2004 05:31 PM

thanks for your footage. SHot witht the dvx , that was a great job. I loved the ligting outside. Inside the bar I would add more warm colours, cuase it is too greytone cold looking. The shot in the bathroom was cool and I couldn not detect any faults. I think the movie was a tad too long, especially in the beginning. The black-dressed actor acted like zwarsnegger in the beginning....it felt cold and amateur. The same for the fighint scenes in the bathroom. They are too melllow and you can feel that something was not right. Maybe the actions were too slow, too stiff. BUt in overall, a pretty good shot movie with a too long story and some overacted normal scenes.

CJ Roy November 5th, 2004 07:24 PM

Jose - Thanks for taking a look at the film. Sorry you didn't like it.

Thanks again.

-CJ
www.arkhamfilms.com