DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2002 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/355-show-your-work-2002-a.html)

Rik Sanchez May 9th, 2002 05:59 AM

adrian,
in that case, John and I will flip for your camera, better yet, we'll junken for it.

Adrian Douglas May 9th, 2002 07:55 AM

Rik, it's PAL, not much good in downtown Osaka. John Locke arrives here on the 21st of this month so if your going to be in town drop one of us a line for a brew down.

Rik Sanchez May 9th, 2002 08:06 AM

so far it looks like the weekend of June 15th, there is a big Gothic/Industrial event at the Liquid Room and I'll know for sure about a week before that if I can make it. As soon as I know if I'll be going then I'll let you guys know. Unless I have a wedding to video tape on the 16th, I'm there.

Steve Nunez May 9th, 2002 05:06 PM

Smallville (WB Network)

I recall reading somewhere that the WB TV show "Felicity" is edited using Final Cut Pro and I do recall reading that one of the shows producers (or something like that) is a big Mac fan and hence the dorm shots almost always shows a Mac or iMac of some sort- they always seem to have a Canon GL1 on hand if an epsiode shows someone video-recording...knowing that the WB is using prosumer grade equipment (to an extent anyway) would anyone know if the show "Smallville" also follows this trend? There's a Mac in just about every episode (Chloe uses them for her reports) and it sometimes has a certain "look" that I'm noticing on some of the newer WB shows...just wondering if either Final Cut Pro or DV cameras are being used in producing any of these new tv shows......

thanks to anyone in the know who might offer any info....

(..would I love to see the show being taped in Vancouver....maybe someday)

Peter Wiley May 9th, 2002 05:43 PM

The presence of the Macs is "product placement" -- a commerical deal that companies generally pay for, sometimes they pay quite a bit. Both shows you mention are aimed at a demographic Apple surely wants to market to. I doubt the machines are in the shots just because the director's a fan of Macs.

Other notable Mac product placements: Sienfeld had Macs in his apartment. C.J., the press secretary character on the West Wing, uses a TiPowerBook I think.

Steve Nunez May 9th, 2002 06:09 PM

I've actually heard of this- was just hoping our DV "tech-hobby" was mainstreaming....

....the quest continues....

(thanks for the reply)

Don Donatello May 13th, 2002 08:59 PM

NTSC frame mode to 35mm

just picked up a info sheet on a movie called "someBody"
shot on 2 NTSC XL 1 in frame mode (YES it says NTSC) , standard 16x and 3x canon lens, sound recorded to tape w/me66 mic's ( 1 on boom , other mt.on camera) , edited offline on discrete edit system - onlined on FAST Silver system.
transferred to 35mm at swiss effects, answer print by deluxe, release prints Magno lab link NYC

opened april 26 sunshine cinemas NYC
opened may 3 greenway , houston TX , Bethesda row cinema , Bethesda, MD, and angelica film center NY

OPENS MAY 17 sunset 5 ,LA, & Galaxy, SF california

i have NOT seen it ...this will tell us what NTSC frame mode looks like transferred to 35mm

has anybody seen it ?? ..

it did play at sundance but was screened digital ( digibeta master up converted to HDCAM at roland house ..

all info came from a printed sheet that you can pick up at birns & sawyers info wall ( near camera checkout)in LA

Adam Lawrence May 14th, 2002 11:33 AM

i would like to check this out....

if you have anymore info about it please post!

Aaron Koolen May 15th, 2002 03:01 PM

I wonder how he's going to cope with the black lines problem that the xl1s' have. Crop for even less resolution? I would have thought something like that would bother him.

Chris Hurd May 16th, 2002 09:35 AM

The film transfer house he's contracted to take this to 35mm will deal with it by cropping, no doubt. They have to do that anyway to get a proper aspect ratio for the theaters. Pretty sure it's not much of an issue for him.

Aaron Koolen May 16th, 2002 02:27 PM

Ahh of course Chris. He's using the 16:9 aspect guide bars so the lines along the bottom aren't a problem...Silly me!

Rob Lohman May 17th, 2002 02:19 AM

They still haven't seem to fixed that image problem on that
site... duh

davidisrael May 17th, 2002 03:29 PM

Chris W. --

belated congrats on your documentary; sorry I didn't know about the screening here in DC (just today looking into Chris H.'s fine bevy of forums here).

cheers,
d.i.

davidisrael May 18th, 2002 09:37 AM

Angel --

I'd like to look at your trailer -- the project sounds interesting. When I go to the web page for the trailer --
http://www.paganiniblues.com/tring.html
I get choice of 3 resolutions, but none of them are working for me. I have Windows Media Player, and there's a viewer present, and it indicates the brief, quick start of a download, but then it says done and nothing has been seen or heard. Is the trailer still available, or available in some other form?

Looking forward to seeing what you're doing, if poss...

d.i.

***angel May 20th, 2002 01:16 PM

hi david, i think you must have quick time 5 to see the clips.
hope this help.

angel