DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Landscapes: Volume ONE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/487263-landscapes-volume-one.html)

Dustin Farrell November 9th, 2010 11:32 PM

Landscapes: Volume ONE

For the last two years I have been perfecting the art of timelapse photography. Here's my work.

Alan Melville November 10th, 2010 05:40 AM

Dustin,

This is good quality shooting. The slides, pan and tilts look great. What did you shoot it with. How do you achieve the tilts, is this in post. What are you using to drive the slides and pan? One take, going uphill at 1:09, looked like a cable cam shot, is that so?

Looking forward to Vol 2!!

One critique, and it's only personal preference, I'd have started at 0:45, sunrise on NASA , strung in the day takes then the sunset on NASA and finished with the night and stars, I feel it would flow better, i.e. more naturally. Also, most of your transitions are great, fades are very applicable as are cuts to the next scene on cue with music, there is however, one cut that I think could be a fade.i.e.0:27,

Overall, excellent and very inspiring.....I'm going to be in Nepal for at least a month in Feb of 2011 and could do with your expertise...........it's given rise to ideas that will take at least another 20 tapes.....who's goin' to carry 'em all...... ;)

Al

PS. There are 2 black specs at 2:56, took me a bit to catch 'em but they're 'choppers...trust 'em to pick that flight path at that time!!!!!!!!!

Dustin Farrell November 16th, 2010 03:33 AM

Lots of info here.

Blog - Crew West Inc.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jem Moore November 16th, 2010 02:45 PM

Dustin, great work! I'm a big fan of timelapse and really appreciate the effort you've put into these shots. I'm guessing some are commissioned, do the rest become stock footage that you make available?

Dustin Farrell November 16th, 2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem Moore (Post 1588664)
Dustin, great work! I'm a big fan of timelapse and really appreciate the effort you've put into these shots. I'm guessing some are commissioned, do the rest become stock footage that you make available?

Thank you. None of these were commissioned. Those were left out. My company is in the process of building our own stock footage site right now.

Alan Melville November 17th, 2010 04:16 AM

Dustin,

Thanks for the link, made for some interesting reading.

Al

Alan Melville June 2nd, 2019 05:04 AM

Re: Landscapes: Volume ONE

I just did a specific search for this piece, which was time consuming, because whilst I remembered it as being, in my humble opinion, the best piece of time lapse I've seen, I couldn't remember where I had seen it!!

I wanted to see if it was as good as my recollections of it were.

It is!

Even in today's technical environment of high res low light cameras, a lot of people could learn a lot from this piece.

It just goes to show,the latest and greatest high tech gear are no match for good editing, a thorough understanding of one's gear and perseverance.

I still think this is one of the best all round time lapse pieces on the net.

Al.

Paul R Johnson June 2nd, 2019 06:20 AM

Yep - totally agree - watched it twice. Forgot to watch it with tech head on first time. That's a sign of a decent video isn't it!

Mark Williams June 2nd, 2019 07:56 AM

Well done.

Ray Dunakin June 7th, 2019 01:01 PM

Holy cow, that is awesome!