DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Landscapes of memory. Doc about an artist's work. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/525229-landscapes-memory-doc-about-artists-work.html)

Giacomo Fabbrocino October 4th, 2014 04:07 PM

Landscapes of memory. Doc about an artist's work.

Hi,
this is a little "doc" I directed and edited 2 years ago.
It has no dialogue or voice over whatsoever and it tries to explain the meeaning of the double installation artist Christian Leperino realized in the archaeological museum of Naples (Italy) in 2012.

What do you think?

Colin McDonald October 5th, 2014 02:20 PM

Re: Landscapes of memory. Doc about an artist's work.

I liked it.

But...
:-)

It is often said that audio can make or break a film so...

Quote:

It has no dialogue or voice over whatsoever...
..or any ambient sound, that I noticed at any rate.

When a film of any description (apart from true 'silent film genre') has no audio apart from its score, that puts a huge responsibility on the composer of the score, or the person who produces the music if it preexists. I didn't think the score worked for the film.

Don't get me wrong, as a trained musician, I am reasonably au fait with electronic/musique concrète styles and have worked in them myself. I just didn't think the score helped to tell the story, though I did think it improved a bit as it went on. I found the hard crash panning (of the audio from R to L) rather crude and distracting, and while the ideas of the whispering and the 'orchestral hits' effects had great potential, for me they were not used effectively.

I thought the visual narrative very well planned, photographed and edited, and can imagine the images supported by a more effective score.

I hope you didn't do the music yourself :-)
(I only have 'musician's Italian' - and don't speak the language myself, so forgive me if the music was mentioned in the credits and I didn't pick it up)

Thanks for posting, I found it very interesting and have watched it a couple of times.

Sorry if I appear to have been a bit negative.

Richard Gooderick October 7th, 2014 02:49 AM

I watched this on my iPad mini on the kitchen table. Not exactly ideal viewing conditions.

I really enjoyed the film and would imagine that it would be quite an experience to view it in a cinema environment with a decent sound system.

At about 8 minutes my attention did start to wander and I was thinking 'this is interesting but it needs to be half the length'.

However at around 8 to 10 minutes it began to pick up again for me and I changed my mind about making drastic cuts.

There are some stunning images. Perhaps a few too many focus pulls, but nothing is perfect ;-)

I really like the sound track and think it is very good fit with the visuals. It creates the same kind of tension that is evident in the artworks.

It is not a film that I would run to see in a cinema or to Vimeo for instance.

But if I was in an 'arty' frame of mind at a gallery and viewed it in a good environment with good sound I can see it being very effective.

It is refreshingly different :-)

Giacomo Fabbrocino October 15th, 2014 06:55 PM

Yeah, I agree it is not so viewer friendly, but it wasn't meant to.
Anyway, making a shorter version, cutting a little beetwen 3:50 and 5:56 is a suggestion I shall keep :)
Thanks for watching :)

Giacomo Fabbrocino July 17th, 2015 07:32 PM

I made a longer version, instead...